Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"My Custom Tailor" disaster- so far

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Back in August I was measured by an employee of MCT at one of their roadshow stops. I ordered two four-piece suits of conservative (that is early 1920's) "Stout" cut (moderately narrow lapels, natural shoulder, somewhat form-fitting three-button box-back jacket, flat-front trousers, straight leg, 19 1/2" x 1 3/4" cuffs, vests cut to match the trousers. One suit was a conventional blue serge and the other was a lovely Harris Tweed herringbone with a slight olive cast. What a waste! The suits arrived a souple weeks ago, and whilst they are beautifully made, I've picked up better-fitting suits off the rack at Men's Wearhouse (and I'm a rather stout, hard-to-fit fellow!)

Here is a copy of the e-mail that I sent them:

"Greetings!

The two suits that your firm shipped arrived on September 24th, just 38 days after they were ordered. Your quick work is impressive. I was pleased with the quality of both the cloth and the general workmanship of the two suits that your firm made for me. Your sewing room does excellent, careful work.

Unfortunately, I was not at all pleased with the dimensions of my garments. They are without question the worst-fitting suits that I have ever purchased, even off-the-peg, despite having been measured by your (rather hurried and somewhat irritated) tailor at the Detroit roadshow on 18 August inst. I have been so upset about the horrible fit of these expensive garments that until today I could not bring myself to write you about them.

The two jackets vary greatly in dimension, the tweed being excessively roomy in the belly, and so hanging like a potato sack, and the blue serge being overly snug. The tweed vest is shapeless, bunching in the upper chest, whilst the serge vest is something approaching a reasonable fit. The sleeves of BOTH jackets are excessively long. I told your tailor that I preferred to show a bit (as much as an inch) of shirt cuff, so of course he cut the jackets so that the sleeves almost entirely cover my thumbnails! I asked for natural shoulders, with minimal padding, with the shoulders sized to fit my frame, not my (admittedly robust) belly. What I received was a broad-shouldered jacket of conventional modern cut without the conventional padding, so that there is a pronounced lump in the shoulder area where my own shoulders end (a couple inches shy of the shoulders in the jacket). I specified 3 1/2" lapels, assuming that these admittedly narrow lapels would be well in proportion to a jacket which was fitted to my natural shoulders. On the broad shouldered coats that you sent the narrow lapels are little shy of ludicrous.

The trousers at first glance fit reasonably well. The cut for the high rise is good, but the seats sag like those of old, worn out breaks. I suspect that this can be easily corrected by my local tailor, as the adjustment would be difficult to do at a distance. I requested that my cuffed trousers be made with very little break. Instead I get pants that are easily two inches too long (when the waist band is worn about an inch above my navel), with cuffs that drag the ground behind me and lay in pools on the floor. in addition, the trouser leg creases are not centered, each one is about an inch-and-a-half to far to the center, and of course the leg side seams are located in the forward corner of my legs, rather than along the sides. I fear that this is not a problem that can be easily fixed.

I don't know whether it will be possible to salvage either suit. I was planing to purchase a wardrobe of six of these items. Your tailor strongly encouraged me to order the entire lot at once. I am very glad that I did not, and really regret the waste of so much of that lovely tweed and solid serge on these awful garments, not to mention the wasted money.

Please advise as to how you suggest we handle this situation.

Sincerely,"

At least they got the high arm-skyes right! I can easily crank a Ford in either jacket without the coat's pulling.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"A few Chaps here on the Lounge recommended Prince & Henry to me, i have had two suits so far from them and am delighted, "NO ROADSHOW!!" a pleasant meeting in a hotel suite in the CBD and an unhurried consultation and voila! 4 weeks later you have a splendid suit, made to measure at $200-250""

4650885079_0f4eb71532_z.jpg

4923689436_0df203ea3f_z.jpg

Steveb1

Familiar Face
Are you using a Hong Kong Tailor? That's what I use. I've used to different tailors and one is fantastic and the other is so so. The fantastic tailor I found is very meticulous when measuring me and the other is not as detailed. The prices are comparable for both tailors.
Sounds like the problem lies with who measured you.
My suggestion to you is that you hold this tailors feet to the fire and make him fix this to your satisfaction (even if they have to make new suits for you), then find a different tailor.

Steveb1

Familiar Face
BinkieBaumont said:
"A few Chaps here on the Lounge recommended Prince & Henry to me, i have had two suits so far from them and am delighted, "NO ROADSHOW!!" a pleasant meeting in a hotel suite in the CBD and an unhurried consultation and voila! 4 weeks later you have a splendid suit, made to measure at $200-250""
QUOTE]

That's my experience as well. A pleasant meeting in a hotel suite where I'm measured by a professional.

But it is also important to note for the original poster that, even with a good tailor, the first time out might require some minor adjustments. After that, they have your pattern and your good to go.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Steveb1 said:
But it is also important to note for the original poster that, even with a good tailor, the first time out might require some minor adjustments. After that, they have your pattern and your good to go.

Indeed.

I personally would have expected to be asked for a pre-fitting session, especially if I would have a very unique body shape.

The creation of 'prototypes' is very helpful for both sides, for many reasons, but two in particular:
a) the customer may change their minds about the cut he/she wants
b) it allows the tailor to check and note needed alterations.

I am curious to read their reply.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I will post images soon, and would appreciate criticism.

My concern was the utter lack of consistency form one jacket to the other, and the specific disregard of my request for jacket shape (yes, I did provide catalog cuts showing the style that I wanted).

This morning I received a gracious reply, which asked for photographs of the fit of the suits:

"Greetings sir,
Thank you for your feedback and allow me to assure you it is too early to give up on the opportunity to have perfect fitting custom made clothing made at extremely reasonable prices from us.
Custom tailoring is a process and this process is while mostly top notch satisfactory right from day one, sometimes it is not accomplished with perfect results right from the first bat.
Custom tailoring involves a learning process and involves a process of fine tunings to attain the fit and look in your clothing that you like and that look good on you. Thus your perseverance and patience is greatly appreciated while the both of us, you and we, work together to make this an exciting and satisfying experience.

In regards to the various issues outlined in your email, I hope you do appreciate that minor adjustments when made, alone, make the products truly custom made-to-measure. It is the lot of custom tailoring that small adjustment is made to the garments made-to-measure so that they are truly 'customized'.
The other advantage of having clothing customized is that once the adjustments have been made and the fit confirmed no further adjustments are required in future orders. Hence, I do appreciate your cooperation in this matter and thank you for your patience and continued support.
Nevertheless, we are willing to do the changes as required and reship the item(s) to you.

To address the issues I will request you to please provide us with visual feedback on the fit of the garments so that we can check the reason for issues & review the changes required. Once the images have been sent to us depending on the level of adjustment required, instructions would be sent along with the best options on how to proceed with resolving the issue.
I will also suggest you to let us know the changes required in the attached form.

We prefer front, side and back images so we can have a complete 360 degree view of the garment. Please email the images in JPEG format that ends in the extension .jpg and is of no larger than 1 MB in size each. For multiple images, please zip/compress into a zip file. Alternatively, you might like to email us a link to images uploaded online.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and to continue being of service and thanking you, I remain with best regards..."

I'll gladly give them a chance, but am not sure how much can be done to change the cut of the shoulders.

We shall see...

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Similar experience with MCT

I bought a suit from them, too. I had a long conversation about the scye with "Ravi" in a hotel room in Reston, VA last year. When I got the suit, the scye was just like any off-the rack suit.

He asked me to send it back with photos of me wearing it. I did so, cost $40.

It came back with the sleeves about four inches shorter and so tight that I couldn't raise my arms to the point where the arm scye made any difference.

I sent it back again, cost $40.

The third time was the charm, but the suit cost $80 more than agreed, owing to the repeated shipping charge to return it to Thailand.

He sent me a note recently announcing that he would be back in the area. I replied that when I got a check from him for $80, I would be happy to see him again. He offered me a neck-tie which he claimed was "valued at $40", by which I inferred that it cost him $2 to make. I didn't reply.

I've had much better results with Prince Henry. I believe I was one of those to encourage Binkie in that direction.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Prince or Henry?

I bought a DB suit in the same black-with-orange pin stripe that you bought recently. It came Tuesday and I took it to my local tailor shop for a pressing. I mentioned having referred you as a customer when being measured, and my guy said that it was his brother that does the Australian leg of the world tour.

Either the "high arm hole" caused quite a brouhaha in Bangkok, or the brothers share everything.

My half of Prince Henry traveled with his brother the first time we did business, but since then, he has been traveling with an attractive woman whom I assume must be his wife. Either that, or he's left his missus in Thailand and brought along his mistress! (Only joking, Prince, or Henry, or whichever Mr. Sethanimvoung you are.)

Blackjack

One Too Many

4650885079_0f4eb71532_z.jpg

4923689436_0df203ea3f_z.jpg

That blue check suit is beautiful, what fabric did you pick for that one???

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Thanks awfully, its actually, silver grey, it looks blue from the light shinning off the Computer screen, is silver grey small Prince of Wales Check ( Plaid), one of his cheapest fabrics I asked for the lapels to be extended to 5 1/2 inches"

995.jpg

Elite Collection - Super 120s Wool with Modern Cashmere in Plaids (ECMWE) ( Price : US $ 240.00 ) including delivery

http://www.princehenry.biz/product.php

img104.jpg

I think this in Linen will be my next purchase, should get it in time for Christmas Festivities

Last edited:

DCMark

New in Town
Very interesting thread. Scary, too. I checked-out Prince Henry and their prices seem incredibly low, but, given such good testimonials, I might have to make an appointment when they are here in the Washington, DC area next month. From what I can tell on their website, though, they don't make 3-piece suits. Does anyone know if they do? Thanks!

carldelo

One Too Many
"They can do anything to order, I encourage you to meet with them and see how confident you personally feel with them "

I was just looking at the website - I may have to look them up when they come to NYC in November. Their "Copy Cat" service sounds very good, for those who have at least one really well-fitted suit but can't make it to a big city for a fitting.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Web site is not always current as to in-stock fabrics

From what I can tell on their website, though, they don't make 3-piece suits. Does anyone know if they do? Thanks!

If you scrutinize the web site carefully, you will see that vests (waistcoats) are there. You have to add the price of that piece to the price of the coat and trousers suits to come up with the "three-piece suit" price.

I won't say that the boys practice "bait-and-switch", but I have asked for some suits to be made from the lower-price fabrics listed on their web site only to be told that the fabric I asked for is not in stock at that point. Still, they do have lower-price swatch books with good fabrics.

I will see them in November in DC to ask about a light gray, heavy-weight flannel. I have a closet full of their suits and they are reasonable, accurate, and timely.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I had them make a suit for me I think around the tsunami time because Australia post did not charge for stuff sent to Thailand...go figure...I thought they did a good job with supplied material and buttons...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner