Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Tailor redux

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Who am I to give a definitive opinion. :D Anyway, as long as you are satisfied that's all that matters. First rule of sales; I don't care what they buy as long as they buy. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
HungaryTom said:
A bespoke suit costs normally one months salary and it takes a month. It depends of what country's salaries we are talking about... City of London and Vienna are different from ours - so this is why prices also differ. The skill of the individual tailor practicing his trade since decades doesn't. The best thing is that the entire show costs something in the vicinity of 700-800 USD in toto including the fabric. Getting 2-3 is no mission impossible.
Seems like a trip to Budapest might pay for itself! :D
Do your tailors speak much English, or would one have to get by in German?

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Doran said:
I wrote to them. They wrote back . It turns out that I WAS WRONG.

For the suit-template I chose from had a THREE-BUTTON JACKET.

Somehow I got confused in the (short) wait and thought I'd ordered a 1-button jacket suit. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Mr. Doran hit the sake.
The cutter did exactly as told, that's excellent!
Great looking jacket, what's wrong with the pants?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
10 inches at the ankle. The cuff is 2 inches, not 12 inches.

The trousers are perfect. I must have said something that was misconstruable if what I said sounded like the trousers had 12 inch cuffs.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Doran said:
10 inches at the ankle. The cuff is 2 inches, not 12 inches.

The trousers are perfect. I must have said something that was misconstruable if what I said sounded like the trousers had 12 inch cuffs.

No, you said you'd post pics.;)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
Yeh- he said, "...what's wrong with the pants?"

12" cuffs- I was guessing. ;)

B
T

That would be quite a mistake for a tailor to make.

Dammit, I'll post pics soon. I'm horribly busy. Staying at home and writing all day takes more time that one expects. (I'm on fellowship this semester, writing my PhD dissertation, and would you believe it -- I get LESS work done than I do when I'm teaching or taking seminars.)

Matt, I will definitely wear it next time I see you. I think you'll dig it, or at least be amused.

Boulou

New in Town
Adress in Budapest

HungaryTom said:
I am "geographically challenged" hence cut off from the vintage clothing market of the New World. So the only way to get a nice suit for me is to go bespoke. Locally. There is one nice fabric shop in Budapest who can recommend good bespoke tailors. Who can order even from a wider range of fabrics (Dormeuil, Holland&Sherry) from their catalogues.

I believe that bespoke can not be surpassed by 60+ years old thrift store items of dead factories. I am even less fascinated of becoming a label victim of designers who are not even tailors.

Every detail is designed and made for you - by the one and the same person who sees you and makes the fittings. In other words the entire suit is all about you... What more can you want?

The fabrics are mostly Dormeuil and other British makers, Italians, nothing less. Specialtex stock cashmere and wool one has to forgo muskox and vicuna, the "fiber of Gods".

As soon as the own divinification is accomplished and gold reserves are on par with Atahualpa Inca the next logical step of upgrading the wardrobe to fabrics from baby vicuna bellyhair can follow:eek: . In the meantime one has to satisfy himself with sheep and goat;) - 8 to 10 microns coarser fibers. Ad astra per aspera.

A bespoke suit costs normally one months salary and it takes a month. It depends of what country's salaries we are talking about... City of London and Vienna are different from ours - so this is why prices also differ. The skill of the individual tailor practicing his trade since decades doesn't. The best thing is that the entire show costs something in the vicinity of 700-800 USD in toto including the fabric. Getting 2-3 is no mission impossible. More aren't needed, this is what the tailor said- one has off the rack suits as well It can't always be caviar. Another thing that speaks against amassing bespoke in one size is that everybody is "oscillating in sizes" i.e. loosing/gaining weight.

There is nothing better than custom made in terms of value for money. Really.

Hi Tom any recomandation for a good tailors in budapest ? Any adress also for shirts ? thanks for your help

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner