Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Aero Cafe Racer – last hints before I order?

Edward

Bartender
I've never found the FQHH to be at all a problem either - the way some folks carry on, you'd think it was made of lead! lol As ever, though, it's down to personal choice.

In terms of lining, I'd think twice about double layering it - go with either the cotton or the satin, not both. A reasonable compromise might be the cotton on the body and rayon in the arms. Some folks prefer satiny lining in the arms because they find it eaiser to get on, though again personally I've never found this to be an issue with the cotton. Rayon type linings definitely sweat more. I wore a Wested Raiders with cotton body lining and satin arm lining in India in Fenbruary 2013, in 22 celsius heat. Hotter than I would normally wear leather in, but I needed the zip up interior pocket. My arms found it a bit too hot and sweaty long before the body did. In general I'd be wary of a lining that is either too heavy or not breathable if you plan for this to be a jacket you'll wear in warmer weather. I have two Aeros in FQHH, one with a cotton lining, the other a Lochcarron wool tartan body with moleskin arms. The latter is certainly noticeably waremer, which does limit its wearability when we are cursed with warm Aprils.

IXL

One Too Many
Montecristo, I predict that upon receiving your jacket, you will wear it on the motorcycle more frequently than you think.

Montecristo

New in Town
@IXL: you are probably right, although I would always be afraid to fall off with it;-)

Again on the lining: what option for satiny lining do they offer? In my mind "satin" refers to a very smooth fabric made from silk, so it is natural and should be breathable. Rayon on the other hand is an in between fabric from natural ingredients but somehow "processed" so that it looses some of the advantages of natural fabrics. Does Aero only offer Rayon for a smooth fabric?

Also what you wrote about the zippers frequently failing is somehow disappointing. For a jacket in that price range you would expect them to source more durable material.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Got to say, I've never had any of my Aero zippers fail, though I know they had a dodgy batch of Talons a while back that they returned.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never found the FQHH to be at all a problem either - the way some folks carry on, you'd think it was made of lead! lol As ever, though, it's down to personal choice.

Its not that FQHH is uncomfortable, just that the mid weight is the more comfortable of the two imo.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, if you don't need it for riding, why bother? My lighter jackets are more versatile and can be worn more often.

Edward

Bartender
Climate is definitely a factor. Up here, we're lucky i that it's sub 20Celsius for most of the year. Only May through to August is usually unbearable, though sometimes we evdn get a great Summer like 2012, when I was able to wear leather in July.

GregO

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero cafe racer in heavy brown steer, and one in black FQHH. I also received last month a J-100 from Diamond Dave in veg tanned HH, which is a fair bit lighter in weight than Aero's FQHH, and is very supple right out of the box. Honestly, the J-100 is so much more comfortable to wear, that I haven't even worn either of the Aeros since I received it. The steer is a beast, and the FQHH, while certainly lighter in weight and more wearable than the steer, is still pretty beastly. The heavy weight leathers in trim fitting jackets just are not all that comfortable. In less trim jackets, the FQHH and steer is great, but in a jacket like a cafe racer that is already a bit restrictive, the really heavy leathers get a little bothersome. Now, the FQHH and steer are great protection if you have a get off at 60 mph from the bike, but if you aren't going to ride much in the jacket, I would recommend something lighter weight than the FQHH.

Just my 2 cents.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero cafe racer in heavy brown steer, and one in black FQHH. I also received last month a J-100 from Diamond Dave in veg tanned HH, which is a fair bit lighter in weight than Aero's FQHH, and is very supple right out of the box. Honestly, the J-100 is so much more comfortable to wear, that I haven't even worn either of the Aeros since I received it. The steer is a beast, and the FQHH, while certainly lighter in weight and more wearable than the steer, is still pretty beastly. The heavy weight leathers in trim fitting jackets just are not all that comfortable. In less trim jackets, the FQHH and steer is great, but in a jacket like a cafe racer that is already a bit restrictive, the really heavy leathers get a little bothersome. Now, the FQHH and steer are great protection if you have a get off at 60 mph from the bike, but if you aren't going to ride much in the jacket, I would recommend something lighter weight than the FQHH.

Just my 2 cents.

Very sensible. I'd add to this, if you look at some of the absolute classic cafe racer jackets by Brimaco and Brooks, the leather is thin. Probably no more than 2.5oz. Maybe not safe for riding, but they are vintage items that look fantastic - great creases and wear. If you aren't riding you don't need to be thick - leather wise.

Montecristo

New in Town
I read somewhere that the midweight leather does not have the same "luster" as the thick.

What would be you suggestion concerning pockets? In the beginning I thought about one zipped breast and two zipped belly pockets. Now I am wondering if two breast pockets are better.
What about an inner pocket? Do you recommend it? Aero does not, they say it can be seen from the outside. But for practical reasons I would favor one.

Edward

Bartender
Personally, I require at least two secure pockets in a jacket - one for my phone and one for my wallet. I hate having to carry either in my trousers if I can avoid it. My Higheayman has no inner pockets. I can live without them, but I definitely would prefer one. My ideal, having experimented with various configurations, is to have one left breast pocket, and one inside pocket on the right hand side. The inner pockets can eventually create an impression on the outside (particularly on a neat fitting jacket), but it's not something i think looks bad or really that I'd care about. Horses for courses, though.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I read somewhere that the midweight leather does not have the same "luster" as the thick.

What would be you suggestion concerning pockets? In the beginning I thought about one zipped breast and two zipped belly pockets. Now I am wondering if two breast pockets are better.
What about an inner pocket? Do you recommend it? Aero does not, they say it can be seen from the outside. But for practical reasons I would favor one.

Personal taste. Most people like an inner pocket too. My favorite cafe racer (Brooks 1960-70's) looks like this - got to have two chest pockets. No inside pockets or side pockets so I keep my phone in the top pocket. But I'd prefer an inside pocket too.

Brooks.JPG

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The chest pockets on my Aero CR is not practical to use. They are there for looks.

I put my phone, keys and public transport travel card in them so I guess "not practical" depends on personal usage. But yes, I love the look of them and always bemoan their absence when they are not there. I get that some people like a "clean" look and leave them out.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
But are your CR an Aero? If no then listen, if yes - then we have a difference in taste. Mine are too narrow and too deep and it hurts to use them - due to the zips, that they are narrow, that the jacket is tight and that they are high up. Other people might be more bendy but I have 2 inside pockets instead.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
But are your CR an Aero? If no then listen, if yes - then we have a difference in taste. Mine are too narrow and too deep and it hurts to use them - due to the zips, that they are narrow, that the jacket is tight and that they are high up. Other people might be more bendy but I have 2 inside pockets instead.

You're right Griff. I don't have an Aero CR. Sounds like if I did get one I would need the chest pockets modified. That said, I used my Aero 1930's half-belt chest pocket to store the same things and it worked fine. Are the cafe racer chest pockets much smaller?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Well they do work, and its easier to use them with a cellphone then with change. But to me they are just a smidge not wide enough. And my CR is very tight so the combination makes it much easier to use the inside pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran