Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Aero -- is it a keeper?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Final decision:

I'll clean and condition the leather.

I'll clean the lining.

I'll scrub the green crud off the zippers.

I'll get a new main zipper installed.

Accomplishing those things will make it feel more like MINE! It'll be ready to rock. :)

This is my favorite post. I actually laughed when I read it:

Thanks for all the feedback!

That sounds great, some pre/post "restoration" pictures would be great if you can!

Gamma68

One Too Many
Fully cleaned and conditioned. Just needs a replacement main zip now.

I've been wearing it around the house until I send it out for repair. Soon, it will be too hot to wear it much. There is a great hand to this horsehide. It softens up nicely in the sun. Comfortable and hefty without feeling overly heavy. Holly at Aero tells me the horsehide in their jackets from this period is superior to the hides Horween can source today.

Did I mention that I love this jacket more every day? Thanks, guys, for convincing me to keep it!

42.JPG
43.JPG
44.JPG

hondurasdave47

Practically Family

I've been wearing it around the house until I send it out for repair. Soon, it will be too hot to wear it much. There is a great hand to this horsehide. It softens up nicely in the sun. Comfortable and hefty without feeling overly heavy. Holly at Aero tells me the horsehide in their jackets from this period is superior to the hides Horween can source today.

Did I mention that I love this jacket more every day? Thanks, guys, for convincing me to keep it!

View attachment 119978 View attachment 119979 View attachment 119980
Looks great! You made the right call in keeping it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Oh yeah. That's good.

Edward

Bartender

Jinkies, that came up even better than I'd have expected it to. Looks great - goes especially well with the telnyshka, pure Joey Ramone. "Take it, Dee Dee!" WUNCHEWFREEFAW....

Gamma68

One Too Many
I believe it. How much does your jacket weigh?

It weighs 6 lbs. I expected it to feel heavy when worn, but it really doesn't.

How does one take an accurate weight measurement in oz?

I don't know how Aero FQHHs smell like when new, but mine still has a faint but pleasing aroma.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It weighs 6 lbs. I expected it to feel heavy when worn, but it really doesn't.

How does one take an accurate weight measurement in oz?

I don't know how Aero FQHHs smell like when new, but mine still has a faint but pleasing aroma.
6 lbs is a pretty heavy jacket, but very wearable. To get oz, you just need a scale that is accurate. 6x16oz = 96oz.

Gamma68

One Too Many
6 lbs is a pretty heavy jacket, but very wearable. To get oz, you just need a scale that is accurate. 6x16oz = 96oz.

I should clarify. I misspoke and didn't mean literally what it weighs in oz. I meant how does one measure thickness to come up with oz.?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I should clarify. I misspoke and didn't mean literally what it weighs in oz. I meant how does one measure thickness to come up with oz.?
Oh, leather weight(thickness) in oz. It's probably about 3oz. If you want to you can buy a caliper gauge and measure it.

barnabus

One Too Many

That looks great! What did you condition it with Gamma? Apologies if you've already said elsewhere.

I'm trying to revive my ancient old cowhide cross zip similarly, and I'll be delighted if my results are even half as good as you've got here.

Gamma68

One Too Many
That looks great! What did you condition it with Gamma? Apologies if you've already said elsewhere.

I'm trying to revive my ancient old cowhide cross zip similarly, and I'll be delighted if my results are even half as good as you've got here.

Thank you! I cleaned the leather with Lexol and conditioned with Pecards. Plain ol' water/Woolite mixture for the lining.

It somehow gets nicer each times you take photos of it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Did this jacket come from Georgia on eBay? I saw it but the missing teeth put me off
Yep. I'll probably send it out next week (to Johnson Leathers) for the zipper replacement.

Holly at Aero was kind enough to send me an entire stock replacement zip (not just the one side). For those of you who have experienced zip issues with Aero FQHH, would it be a mistake to not go with a larger zip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy