Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first half marathon(in mileage that is)

moustache

Practically Family
It has been awhile since my last post. I have been quite involved with running and don't have as much online time. I hope to get back here this winter for more posting.

Wednesday was my birthday and so I took a rest day off to ponder Veteran's Day and give thanks to those vets who have given so much. Yesterday, I decided to run my usual 10K or maybe 7 miler and call it good. But after the 10K i felt wonderful and decided to just go for it all and see how far i could run.I had some side stiches at mile 3.5 that lasted about a half mile to mile or so but ran through it. The rest of the run was truly a delight and my legs felt like they could go on forever!
Before the run I had one banana and no water. I also didn't drink or eat anything during the run. When I made it to 20K i decided to continue even though it was very dark and getting cold at around 40°. But who cares!!
So i continued on. I had to stop due to time constraints but ended up with 14.20 miles.

http://nikerunning.nike.com/n/r/en_US/1678907755/142521716/?sitesrc=fbk_ab_plus
The Nike+ was very accurate and off only a wee bit,maybe 1/8 of a mile or so.

I cannot believe I have run a half marathon total and more!!! My timing was not great at 10:47 per mile but that is ok with me. I truly believe now that I could feasably run a marathon sometime in the next two years, perhaps by the end of 2010.

I don't usually pat myself on the back but just HAD to this time.

Thanks for letting me share.

Jim
Vancouver,Washington
Race for the Cure-20,Sept 2009
LAF Livestrong Day-2 Oct 2009
Light the Night Portland Leukemia run-9 Oct 2009
10K Nike Human Race-24 October 2009-58:36-PB
10K morning run-11/1/2009 PB--58:03
Half marathon run+ (14.2 miles)-11/12/2009:2:34:06
Bloomsday Run-Spokane,Wa-2 May 2010

Congrats! I hit the wall at 5k myself; I can't seem to get my legs toned to do more than that (hey, I'm not a kid any more). I know what they say, if you can do 5k you can do 6k and if you can do 6k you can do 7, but I've been at 5k for the last year and I get those damn side stitches after just 1k. The most I ever did was about 10k and that was 20 years ago.

Still achy from this morning's run. :rage:

Keep up the good work.

Jack

Foofoogal

Banned
Forrest. Is that you?

kidding. congratulations. :eusa_clap I would run or walk if I had someone to do it with. Just now meeting new people in new town. Not always fun.

JeffOYB

Vendor
Yes, congrats! It sounds like you were hitting some kind of peak of energy, fitness and health and had the good sense to let the spirit move you.

Athletes long for the coincidence of such days with race day. But it's gotta be a great feeling at any time!

I've had it happen occasionally -- what fun!

I have to be real careful afterward not to stay up too late or get around germs. It seems that after taking advantage of such a period of being "up" that one can be at risk to catching a bug. Having a cocktail after such a fine outing also seems to suppress the immune, so careful!

--JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21