Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first "real" hat.

Morgoroth

New in Town
At the advice of this forum, I got a Tilley 6 for a trip to the Mouse House this summer.
The good news is, it was perfect. Best hat I have ever had, hands down. I just can't say enough good things about it.

The bad news is, now I'm a little spoiled.
I need a good hat, and since I shave my head, the Tilley is getting a little chilly now a days.

After doing some research here on the forums, I'm thinking of going with an Akubra.
My price range is about $150, so from what I can tell, that would be the best bang for the buck.
Especially in fur felt, but I am open to suggestions.

So, any advice on which one I should get, or sizing or bashing(this one has me the most concerned...)?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
There is another post asking the exact question and I will answer it the same for you. Akubra hands down. Versatile styles and great prices. Check out everythingaustralia.au best prices. Hats direct and David morgan are good but more expensive.

Morgoroth

New in Town
I read the other thread, though I did miss it before posting this one.
I'm not looking for a Sunday hat though. I want an everyday hat that will perform like my Tilley, but keep my head warm. Something with a good sun-blocking brim, that sits down on my head and keeps it warm.

I looked up Everything Aus, but they have a three month wait so, I'll pay a little extra to get it sooner.

So I guess my questions are more related to style.
Open crown or not? Which styles do you guys prefer, etc.

Duper

Practically Family
Have a look at the Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. It should be in stock. It is an open crown with a moderately wide brim. A good everyday hat if you want a little colour in your life. Silver belly is usually a safe bet for a more neutral colour. I guess it depends on your complexion, winter coat and the colours you normally wear.

Remember the hat might keep your head warm, but your ears might get chilly on longer outings on cold days.

If you went back to theTilley site they has a number of hats with hidden ear flaps, but only one choice and colour in fur felt which is definitely a preferred material for look and durability IMHO.

Morgoroth

New in Town
Yeah, I'm thinking of a buff for really cold days, and furfelt is a must. The CampDraft is certainly in the running.
I like the pinched telescoping look. Of course I could do that with any open crown I guess...

rrwine

New in Town
I've got my new Silverbelly Campdraft on today for the first time and it's raining/snowing. My head is staying toasty warm. Perfect Akubra weather. The wide brim is like wearing an umbrella. Loving it! Campdraft or Fed IV - can't go wrong. The Silverbelly is more sand color than silver.

Morgoroth

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. How well does the strap work for the camp draft?
It buttons to your lapel?

TomS

One Too Many
The Campdraft, no doubt. I like the high crown, and the thin ribbon, but thats me :)

Morgoroth

New in Town
Well I narrowed it down to the campdraft and the federation, and the wife voted for the fed, in carbon grey.
So, it should be here in a couple weeks. Then I'm sure at some point I'll have to save up for a CD also. :D

Morgoroth

New in Town
Just got some tracking info and it's in CA. The other end of the continent, but a lot closer than it was :D

Also I'm looking for a hat brush, any brush advice?
I went to the little western shop downtown that does boots and hats. They were out of hat brushes, but they did have a little horse hair brush they said would work. I decided to pass on that since I don't know much about brushes anyway.

Morgoroth

New in Town
What are they usually made out of? Are hat brushes a soft bristle or hard?
I have a horse hair shoe brush which is really soft, but it seems like something stiffer would be better for a hat.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Soft should be fine. There are many here who use horsehair shoe brushes as hat brushes (just make sure the brush hasn't been used with shoe polish first!). I've used a poly paintbrush and I liked how that could get into the creases of the crown.

What are they usually made out of? Are hat brushes a soft bristle or hard?
I have a horse hair shoe brush which is really soft, but it seems like something stiffer would be better for a hat.

Look for boar or horse hair brushes. My local Kroger has them for about $6 in the aisle where they sell shoe polish & shoe strings.
These are just fine & work great. Get 2, mark one for dark hats so you don't transfer dark felt parts to your lighter hats.
Western hat places sell both brim & crown brushes but it is really overkill....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner