Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first sewing project!

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Ok, dont laugh, they're just curtains. However, this is the first thing I've ever sewn on the sewing machine, so I'm excited about it. I'm an idiot, and I measured wrong and they turned out short, but who cares... I sewed!

I found the fabric a few years ago and thought it was cute and vintage looking, so I bought a little of it not quite knowing what I was going to make out of it. My mom gave me her old sewing machine today and I thought I'd give it a try.

Probably seems silly and little to some of you with way more sewing experience, but I figure I ought to learn how to sew a straight line before I even look at trying anything else.

I'm a geek, I know! :cool: View attachment 1173

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AtomicBlonde said:
Ok, dont laugh, they're just curtains. However, this is the first thing I've ever sewn on the sewing machine, so I'm excited about it. I'm an idiot, and I measured wrong and they turned out short, but who cares... I sewed!

I found the fabric a few years ago and thought it was cute and vintage looking, so I bought a little of it not quite knowing what I was going to make out of it. My mom gave me her old sewing machine today and I thought I'd give it a try.

Probably seems silly and little to some of you with way more sewing experience, but I figure I ought to learn how to sew a straight line before I even look at trying anything else.

I'm a geek, I know! :cool: View attachment 1173

They are very cute! I know how you feel, each new sewing project for me feels like a great triumph.

woooo!

Sachet

Familiar Face
Nice job!

AtomicBlonde said:

View attachment 1173

See, you're smart to start with something easy. My first item was a skirt and it ended up too tight, but I still had to wear it in the school competition. I was mortified! I should have started with something non-wearable and more practical. I sure learned a lot though.

You are off to an encouraging start with a wonderful new interest. Have fun with it!

I love that fabric!

:cheers1:

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
thanks ladies! :) I need some encouragement, my mom thinks I'm insane and wishes that she had a slightly more normal daughter. I just recently mastered a couple 40's updo's and my mom says "you're not going out in public like that are you? :rolleyes:

anyway, the curtains go pretty well in my kitchen, which has all original 1930's fixtures in it. The counter, sink, stove, and the cabinets are all porcelain coated cast iron, and all the little handles and stuff are so very cute and so very art deco. My bathroom still has the original 1930's tile and the bathtub, sink, mirror and light fixture all date from about the same time. I had the chance to live in a slightly larger place, but I picked to live in this very teeny cramped studio just for the bathroom and kitchen... I AM nuts.

Now to find fabric to make curtains for the whole place! Gotta practice!

-Jess

Tin Pan Sally

That's not silly at all! Good work, and doesn't it feel good to look at that every day and think "I love that and I made it" ? :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
AtomicBlonde said:

If you later decide to care about them being a wee bit short, thats very fixable. Buy a yard of similar type material (fabric wise, ie cotton...) and attach either a ruffle or a band of it to the bottom of curtain. Voila! Trimming.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
If you later decide to care about them being a wee bit short, thats very fixable. Buy a yard of similar type material (fabric wise, ie cotton...) and attach either a ruffle or a band of it to the bottom of curtain. Voila! Trimming.

And then you'll be an old pro at sewing. Because, as everyone who's been sewing eventually figures out - when something goes wrong - put a bow or a ruffle on it to hide it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
cute fabric! hey, it's brave of you to even try to make curtains (I still have the want, but the sewing machine is still way too intimidating for me) just remember, you got to start somewhere! and besides you've come to a great place where you have very talented ladies that are full of excellent ideas and tips. Congradulations on your first sewing project!

SwingCat123

New in Town
They look great! And I love the fabric too. Your off to a great start, you took that first step that many people never take and now who knows where that will take you but Im sure you'll go far. Isnt it great to know you did that!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran