Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first vintage hat: Adam - need info & tips please?

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Finally, just arrived yesterday, my first vintage hat and also my first fur felt. Pardon other loungers who might have bid on this one, but this is my first purchase bidding a vintage. It's 7 3/8, 2 1/4" brim, crown is about 4 1/2 but I don't know when I wear it I feel it's quite tall... or maybe just my feeling. Not sure how the right bash should be, since it came in rather disfigured crown. But it's very light, supple, easily formed, and boy, indeed, fur is much smoother than wool.... The stitching is very neat, much better indeed than my modern hat. The brim is rather stiff but it's snap brim, so no problem... I won it at USD 31, but actually I had to pay 64 including shipping to my country.

Sorry for the camera, I don't have good one - it's only from mobile. The color is pure black. I'm still unsure about the most appropriate bash for this hat - any idea?

The lining is quite stained, I wonder if it can be cleaned? I look inside the sweatband, the lining is actually only attached by some tape here and there - so the previous owner might have removed it for cleaning... Any idea how to clean it? I eventually have to do the cleaning myself, no hatter in Indonesia :)

Here's the inside - there's also initial "PH" stamped on sweatband

And finally here's my ugly head covered with it :D what do you think? I feel like a priest ... makes me wonder whether it was indeed a priest's hat.. (Father Merrin of Exorcist?)

[

Any info what type of Adam is this and approx. year made? Thanks. Let me know what you think guys

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
I don't think it looks too tall on you at all....You've bashed it nicely.....It really looks great on you, IMO!!!

Great Looking Hat....Wear it often!!!

duggap

Banned
Yohanes, nice hat indeed. No way is it too tall on you. If you are somewhat new to wearing this type hat, just give it a little time and you will adjust to where you wouldn't wear a crown any shorter. I know, I have been there too.:rolleyes:

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the compliments guys :)

Glad I finally have a vintage hat... Anyone knows what type and year it's from?

Because 7 3/8 seems to be the magic number that is extremely hard to find...

I've found several Dobbs, Resistol, Steson, at that size in eBay before I bought this Adam, I lost all of them, and all of them goes at very high prices, too high for my current budget...

My size is actually 58 cm, which makes it 7 1/4 but I don't want to take a risk.. since hat tends to shrink? so for vintage hat I assume it becomes less than 7 1/4 for that age which would make it too tight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy