Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first vintage (Lots of pics)

canucklehead

New in Town
Ok, one of my purchases from OFAS arrived today: the Dobbs that looked like an open crown. Sadly, that was not the case. Someone had just popped out the bash; I could clearly see the front pinch marks. Still, I did a quick bash and popped it on for looks, and although it's a bit snug, I think I did very well for my first vintage purchase. It's a 2" brim, and what looks like a 2" black grosgrain ribbon. It's grey with a touch of brown (described as sable grey-brown on the site) and the pic of it on my head is probably the truest representation of the colour.

There are some marks on the brim (You can see 'em in the top and side views) that I think are from being stored upside down in its cardboard ring for a number of years. Otherwise it is immaculate. I'm going to pick up a brush today and see if I can't brush those marks out.

There is a stamp on the sweatband proclaiming a "Guild Edge." Would that be Dobbs' version of the Cavanagh edge? I've a pic of the stamp and a couple closeups of the edge for the expert eyes in here.

Also - Any chance one of you might be able to affix a rough date to this baby based on what I've said/shown here? From what I've read around here on similar styles of hat, I'm thinking '50s or '60s, but I'm not sure, hence why I'm asking.

Without further ado, here are the pics.

Top (first attempt at a C-crown; the middle doesn't come up too far though):
topview.jpg

Side:
sideview.jpg

Gilt sweatband stamp:
sweatband3.jpg

Another (maybe a former owner's initials?):
sweatband2.jpg

And another:
sweatband1.jpg

Inside the crown:
insidecrown.jpg

"Guild edge" stamp:
guildedge.jpg

Closeup of edge:
edge2.jpg

And another:
edge1.jpg

Finally, on my head:
mikeinhat.jpg

Thanks, guys, for any help you can give me.

-Mike

spiridon

A-List Customer
Wow! I think you did VERY good canucklehead.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'm afraid I can't help much with your questions, but I'm sure someone here can. I DO believe that "Guild" edge is indeed the Dobbs version of a cavanaugh edge. ......BTW, I think you did a fine job on that "C" bash!:eusa_clap

nulty

One of the Regulars
I like the way the ribbon seems to roll downward adding the the crowns taper...
Great hat , looks almost dead stock..

I know others here would know better but the hat appears more mid 1950's to me. It could depend on when Dobbs stopped using the cost of the hat as the "model" i.e Dobbs 20 = hat costs $20.00

In any case I think you got a great hat at any price...

Have Fun.....

You sure that brim is only 2 inches? Looks at least like a 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 to me. Really stingy brims came later in the 60s.
Nulty is right. It looks like a mid 50s offerring. Nice liner, nice sweatband and a Cavanagh Edge on a nice felt. :eusa_clap You did very well.
The Guild Edge was another name for the Cavanagh Edge. You coudn't have a Dobbs with a Cavanagh Edge name on it even if they were the same company at that time. ;) :D

Regards,

J

art92101

One of the Regulars
Good hat

It looks good. Get a stretcher and stretch it ever so slightly to improve fit. I'd leave on the snug side to improve wind resistance. Best!

canucklehead

New in Town
jamespowers said:
You sure that brim is only 2 inches? Looks at least like a 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 to me. Really stingy brims came later in the 60s.
Nulty is right. It looks like a mid 50s offerring.

Managed to find my measuring tape quickly enough to post this as an edit. Just measured, and it's 2" either from the base of the ribbon or from the sweatband out to the edge. Unless I'm doing it wrong... It's just a straight measurement from point A to point B, korrekt? Don't need to add anything for ..."measuring error" (for want of a better term)?

I'm only a size 7 1/8 and my face is pretty skinny, so that might make the brim look a little wider than it is. Ribbon's 1 7/8" at its widest point, not 2". Crown's 5" high at its highest point when open, near as I can tell.

Still, even if it is a '60s model, it's still a damn fine hat for being between 37 and 46 years old. Hope I'm in half as good a condition when I reach that age. lol :eusa_doh:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sorry I can't help with any of your questions. I'm a gal, I know very little about mens fedoras. However, I do know a good looking hat when I see one, and that's exactly what you have there! The crown looks perfect (Hem taught me a little about crowns). I can't believe it's in such great shape, from the pic's it looks brand new.
Congratulations, it's smashing! I hope you get a lot of use out of it.
:cheers1:
Daisy

canucklehead said:
Managed to find my measuring tape quickly enough to post this as an edit. Just measured, and it's 2" either from the base of the ribbon or from the sweatband out to the edge. Unless I'm doing it wrong... It's just a straight measurement from point A to point B, korrekt? Don't need to add anything for ..."measuring error" (for want of a better term)?

I'm only a size 7 1/8 and my face is pretty skinny, so that might make the brim look a little wider than it is. Ribbon's 1 7/8" at its widest point, not 2". Crown's 5" high at its highest point when open, near as I can tell.

Still, even if it is a '60s model, it's still a damn fine hat for being between 37 and 46 years old. Hope I'm in half as good a condition when I reach that age. lol :eusa_doh:

Maybe the scale is what makes me think it is a wider brim. Whatever the brim width, its a great hat and a good find. It looks good on you and that is all that matters. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy