Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My frustrating experience with Aero customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hh121

Banned
I was very reluctant to post anything negative about makers before communicating with them but it is getting very frustrating to talk to them.
I received two custom jackets from them on 9/26, the brown one is HB Deluxe 40 and Highwayman 38. After opening the box, I noticed there is a big scar on the brown one and a small cut on the black one. The fit of the brown one is also off because the hem is too big at 22 inches and the sleeve is too short from my spec.
A7AB4F4D-2130-48BE-A085-D6A76DD24B66.jpeg
FAFF858E-15E3-4ECA-ADD7-2DCEF31050FD.jpeg
8282CBEC-2FAE-417D-9BD3-AE3260A89600.jpeg

So I emailed Aero right away with pictures showing scar, cut, and the wrong fit of HB deluxe. Two days passed and I received no answer so I emailed again to two of their team member and got a response on the same day, they said those marks weren’t there during checking and they suspect the scar from the brown one is due to rubbing in the box during shipping. Which I found quite unconvincing since the jacket is well packed and wrapped with bubble wrap. However, they proposed a partial refund and send me a dye so I can apply it to the scar.
As for the cut on the black jacket, they ask me if it is possible because I cut it when I opened the box.
I emailed back and explain that I have been very careful when opening the box, I also explain to them again the hem of HB deluxe is too big plus the sleeve is too short (I requested 25.25, and comes out at 24.5) so I request the remake of HB deluxe.
C8C447B1-33BB-4175-8D47-90C5169F3E8E.jpeg
7311263D-6C0E-45A1-B8EB-938FC7E07FB3.jpeg
51C69328-1907-45DF-BC40-E87F25ABBD98.jpeg
09310EF2-99AC-44DD-AD42-BA74DA65A530.jpeg

They emailed back to me and asked me again if the cut was done by customs, at this point I really don’t want to explain it to them anymore. They also said upon checking my order history I have ordered different sizes including Highwayman in size 42 (and that was my first Aero jacket back in 2007 when Fizz still working there, and the jacket is too big on me), and they said they are surprised I ordered different size of those two since both HWM and HB are the 50s fit, and of course, the size 40 of HB will look bigger on me.
I emailed back to them on 9/29 and heard nothing from them.
I have had two 50 half belt before, one OTR ordered from Aero, and another is a famous super heavy cordovan steerhide, both hem measured no more than 20.5”.
5D0E0031-35C0-4101-B404-B185BFE40530.jpeg
714E4DB5-ABA2-4BF7-8376-2605A59FC2B6.jpeg

So from the beginning of my first email to them, it has been 11 days and they still not give me a clear answer. If you don’t want to remake the jacket, it is fine, give me a straight answer instead of having me wait for your email.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Those are legitimate issues, and the response is not like I've seen from Aero in the past. I guess I will shoot video of the unboxing of mine just in case of something like that happening with my order. The fit issue alone should be reason enough for a remake, unless you gave them incorrect measurements I'd expect them to make it right for you.

Update : Out of curiosity, I pulled my own Half-Belt Deluxe out of the closet to see what the hem is like.

It's a size 44 which I bought second hand, not to my measurements, but it measures no different than I would have specced for a custom order, and it fits perfectly.

Zipped up, if I pull the front hem forward like @Hh121 is to demonstrate, I can replicate how his photo looks, pretty accurately. He might have some more room there than I do, but just eyeballing it, with no measurements, it's pretty close. If I take my hand away, the jacket goes back to looking as it should; in @Hh121's second photo, it looks like the leather is too new, too stiff, and doesn't settle back down yet.

I can't take a decent photo of it to show right now, but for now I will withdraw my opinion on the fit of Hh121's jacket for the time being. It's quite possible that the jacket he received is cut correctly and would fit well once broken in. I do have an older photo from a few years ago showing me in my HB Deluxe, worn over a thick sweater. It looks almost too small over the sweater, but it is a chunky one and even without the extra padding under the jacket to fill it out, the jacket looks great on me.

1665101852733.png

Again, my jacket fits me perfectly, and I believe as intended. So perhaps I was wrong about there being a fit issue. I think the customer is the final judge on t hat, though.

As far as the damage goes, if it did happen during transit, it points to a need for better protection in the packaging. But having been involved in hundreds of mailed leather jackets over the better part of a decade, I have to say that this is a very rare occurrence. Shipping insurance might be a good thing to invoke.

Last edited:

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Oof, unpleasant. Those nicks in the leather look very recent. Was the box opened or damaged upon arrival? One of them looks like it could have been done with a knife. In my experience, they put a taped second layer of cardboard underneath the outer layer of the box to protect the leather from overly eager knife openings. You didn't happen to breach that layer did you? I would assume not, just had to ask though.

As for the sizing, that is definitely off. I would coordinate the sizing with Carrie via email in detail, and take your time doing it for the optimal result. Let the back and forth go for a few days to get everything right and the result will end up being an excellent fit in my experience. I have 3 jackets from Aero, and did this for each one. However, if a jacket is hastily ordered, I can definitely see a problem like this happening. I would not go off of past sizes, especially with different jacket models, do everything from scratch. I hope you didn't have to wait 3 months or more for these. Either way, that is a painful experience, sorry to see this happen to you.

Regards.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I was very reluctant to post anything negative about makers before communicating with them but it is getting very frustrating to talk to them.
I received two custom jackets from them on 9/26, the brown one is HB Deluxe 40 and Highwayman 38. After opening the box, I noticed there is a big scar on the brown one and a small cut on the black one. The fit of the brown one is also off because the hem is too big at 22 inches and the sleeve is too short from my spec. View attachment 455898 View attachment 455899 View attachment 455900
So I emailed Aero right away with pictures showing scar, cut, and the wrong fit of HB deluxe. Two days passed and I received no answer so I emailed again to two of their team member and got a response on the same day, they said those marks weren’t there during checking and they suspect the scar from the brown one is due to rubbing in the box during shipping. Which I found quite unconvincing since the jacket is well packed and wrapped with bubble wrap. However, they proposed a partial refund and send me a dye so I can apply it to the scar.
As for the cut on the black jacket, they ask me if it is possible because I cut it when I opened the box.
I emailed back and explain that I have been very careful when opening the box, I also explain to them again the hem of HB deluxe is too big plus the sleeve is too short (I requested 25.25, and comes out at 24.5) so I request the remake of HB deluxe.
View attachment 455908 View attachment 455909 View attachment 455910 View attachment 455911
They emailed back to me and asked me again if the cut was done by customs, at this point I really don’t want to explain it to them anymore. They also said upon checking my order history I have ordered different sizes including Highwayman in size 42 (and that was my first Aero jacket back in 2007 when Fizz still working there, and the jacket is too big on me), and they said they are surprised I ordered different size of those two since both HWM and HB are the 50s fit, and of course, the size 40 of HB will look bigger on me.
I emailed back to them on 9/29 and heard nothing from them.
I have had two 50 half belt before, one OTR ordered from Aero, and another is a famous super heavy cordovan steerhide, both hem measured no more than 20.5”. View attachment 455915 View attachment 455916
So from the beginning of my first email to them, it has been 11 days and they still not give me a clear answer. If you don’t want to remake the jacket, it is fine, give me a straight answer instead of having me wait for your email.
Whilst I have not been fully involved in the correspondence with you, and I apologise if there has been delays / breaks in communication, I am aware of your issues.
Firstly regarding sizing whilst on your Highwayman and KOR order your had requested specific hem measurements which were met, and given the style were perhaps applicable to those styles. On your Half Belt Deluxe you had not mentioned hem width nor requested a specific size. Had you requested we would have explained that a half Belt by its design is not meant to fit tight at the hem, it side adjusters being situated higher up naturally give it more of an "hour glass fit" with a slight flare at the hem. We would have how ever maybe done a slight tweak had it been asked for.
We have sent you pics (attached) showing the standard bottom hem of both a 40" Highwayman (with adjusters undone) and a 40" half Belt Deluxe/ 50,'s half Belt to show the bottom hem as standard is 22"
You refer back to other 50's half belts you have had, these were not made to order and have been purchased used so can't comment if they had any tapering by the original customer.
Regarding sleeve length we also explained that although slightly shorter than reqested 25.25" they did fall within our standard 0.5' tolerance allowance at 24.75" , some if this is due to your request for the heaviest available skins (with very heavy leather you do loose a bit more length in the seam allowance). Looking at your pics we feel the sleeve length looks spot on and any longer would be too long (there are already creases visible so that shouldn't be a concern)
As for marks on the leather we are certain they were not present during QC (I personally handle 90% of jackets that leave as I am involved in finishing, studding, button holes etc) I believe the marks on the brown jacket are friction marks on a sleeve fold possibly during packing/ shipping and have offered a credit plus shipping of touch up dye.
It would be preferable for you to let us deal with this direct rather than on a public platform
20220929_172708.jpg
20220929_172715.jpg

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
Firstly regarding sizing whilst on your Highwayman and KOR order your had requested specific hem measurements which were met, and given the style were perhaps applicable to those styles. On your Half Belt Deluxe you had not mentioned hem width nor requested a specific size. Had you requested we would have explained that a half Belt by its design is not meant to fit tight at the hem, it side adjusters being situated higher up naturally give it more of an "hour glass fit" with a slight flare at the hem. We would have how ever maybe done a slight tweak had it been asked for.
Look at the fit pics of HB deluxe, everything is fit except the hem, so you are saying it is normal that both the left and right panels cross over at the hem area like that? do you accept that is a correct fit for 50 HB? I also filled out my body measurement when I submitted my order, does your team doing the work to look at it and give me any warning hem might be too big for my body measurements??

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Look at the fit pics of HB deluxe, everything is fit except the hem, so you are saying it is normal that both the left and right panels cross over at the hem area like that? do you accept that is a correct fit for 50 HB? I also filled out my body measurement when I submitted my order, does your team doing the work to look at it and give me any warning hem might be too big for my body measurements??
We did ask for fit pics of you with jacket zipped closed and side adjusters used. In your pics side adjusters are fully open and your side on pics you are leaning back and lifting front of jacket up.
See above pics also showing that 22' bottom hem is standard for a size 40" Half Belt Deluxe, 50's Half belt and Highwayman (with open adjusters). As explained a jacket that tapers at hem such as Highwayman and KOR then yes tapers are maybe appropriate but not on a half Belt (unless requested)
Let's not take this further on here, please email me

I personally find it impossible to believe Aero would send out two jackets with this type of defect. Impossible. I have ordered at least 30 between Aero and TB. Maybe 100 or more over my collection history. I have never, ever, even once, seen anything like that, even on a used jacket. Thin ice. Really thin.

Your case is hard to accept because you first complain about the fit, then claim the jacket is damaged. You have indeed painted yourself into a corner.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
No need sucking up to Aero like that, bro.
Bro, I don't care what Aero thinks of me, I'm not a customer of theirs.

I just feel like you're being unfair towards Aero. Just a couple of days ago you were complaining about the ptp of your KOTR being off, yet it was clear for everyone to see that you were deliberately measuring it the wrong way.

Also, can somebody explain to me why it has 25 pit to pit while I request no more than 24!!????
I also asked full hem protect, they forgot to do it.....
40756373-BA89-4B52-A0F7-71CA38A3AE66.jpeg

Hh121

Banned
I personally find it impossible to believe Aero would send out two jackets with this type of defect. Impossible. I have ordered at least 30 between Aero and TB. Maybe 100 or more over my collection history. I have never, ever, even once, seen anything like that, even on a used jacket. Thin ice. Really thin.

Your case is hard to accept because you first complain about the fit, then claim the jacket is damaged. You have indeed painted yourself into a corner.
I feel sorry for you, not only because you are ignorant and naive but quite dumb, so you only believe something until you saw it? Ask Aero how many jackets they produce each month. 100 is a tiny sample.
The scar and cut are unacceptable but not an issue for me to wear it if it fits, I am wearing highwayman every day and your HB had a much deeper cut and I still enjoy wearing it.

Hh121

Banned
Bro, I don't care what Aero thinks of me, I'm not a customer of theirs.

I just feel like you're being unfair towards Aero. Just a couple of days ago you were complaining about the ptp of your KOTR being off, yet it was clear for everyone to see that you were deliberately measuring it the wrong way.
Yes, and I still not happy the pit to pit is too big, I am not quite sure what you mean I deliberately measuring it the wrong way?

I feel sorry for you, not only because you are ignorant and naive but quite dumb, so you only believe something until you saw it? Ask Aero how many jackets they produce each month. 100 is a tiny sample.
The scar and cut are unacceptable but not an issue for me to wear it if it fits, I am wearing highwayman every day and your HB had a much deeper cut and I still enjoy wearing it.
You are a clown. A fool. And every time I see your shitty post…the entire forum collectively thinks:

Right, folks - please be reminded that 'House Rules' (per sticky thread at the top of the room) ask for language to remain 'family friendly'. Thank-you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yes, and I still not happy the pit to pit is too big, I am not quite sure what you mean I deliberately measuring it the wrong way?
Lol first of all zip the jacket up. Then hold the tape measure in a straight line and take another pic. I'll eat my hat if it shows 25.

DF5B4F30-B0FF-4C18-9FEE-923A7FCDCD1B.jpeg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not saying I'm right, but the way I always measure P2P, I take the measurement from the point where the front panel meets with the back panel under the arm. Using your example, I would measure precisely where the drawn line indicates. Which, I can roughly estimate, would take a good 1.5-1.75", possibly more, from the 25" measurement you're showing here.

There's more than one way to take the measurement, I'll grant, but I'm not sure what the "official" method is. You do have to be careful with precision, because a little bit of slack, or a little bit of being diagonally off can skew the reading. Even camera angle above the point measured can create an illusion of a different-from-actual measurement.

1665101301962.png

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars

Absolutely, with out any doubt, spot on comment! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch