Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My grandfather - rejected screenwriter!

Mojito

One Too Many
My mother has just unearthed a cache of family material - photos, letters, etc - and we're planning on having a session with them later this week. One of the standouts, however, is a movie proposal he put forward to Columbia - a biopic of William Vincent Wallace, titled Maritana.

My grandfather was something of a scholar, a bit out of place working as a headmaster in country NSW - we've always intended to track down his thesis in the State Library, as he conducted interviews with some of the men and women who knew the bushrangers of the previous century, and there may be some otherwise unrecorded oral history on the Hall-Gilbert or even the Kelly gang. He published a book (sporting subject matter - not my area) and in periodicals, and among the papers mum has unearthed are some original verses.

The script treatment still has the rejection letter attached - signed by Micky Coleman in the Story Department, dated Feb 12 1946, and on Columbia Pictures letterhead.

Mojito

One Too Many
I suspect he let it rest at that - and frankly, I can't blame Columbia for rejecting it. It was the sort of story that would fascinate an individual researcher, and when relating it to his friends he'd receive a chorus of "what a wonderful movie that would make!". But not really the sort of material that would make a 1940s biopic - although possibly the American component could have been enhanced to make it appeal to an American audience. The subject was Irish composer William Vincent Wallace, who was widely travelled and who helped found the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. He certainly lived an adventurous life, but it's too rambling a story to really frame it coherently as a Hollywood movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Vincent_Wallace

carter

I'll Lock Up
What a wonderful discovery.

It would be fascinating to read some of your grandfather's work. His story might be the subject for a screenplay on it's own merits. Something to consider. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
An extraordinary find! Having the thing rejected is small stuff compared to the thrill he has given his family now that it is known. He must be very pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart