Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Grandfather's WWII Pics

zaika

One Too Many
Hey all, here I am starting another new thread, yet again. Sorry.

...Not really. lol

I just wanted to share with you some photos that my grandfather had brought home from the war. He was in the Air Force, stationed in Italy (and my grandmother says in Northern Africa as well...) and did reconnaissance. Since I can't recognize airplanes, uniforms, battles, etc by just looking at them, I thought maybe one of you might be able to speculate the what's and the where's.

Which P-38 is this?

1348296338_cf918c455f.jpg

I have no idea what this really is...but I like to think that it's Mt. Vesuvius in March 1944 which did destroy some U.S. bombers if I remember correctly.

1348296464_c4d50d4f0f.jpg

Americans, I assume. WACS? WAVES? ???

1348296638_bcef1d1b9f.jpg

And this is the most interesting, to me. A battle? Between whom, I wonder?

1347404685_878bfd1782_o.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for sharing.

That last one looks like a reconnaissance shot of a naval landing/ battle in progress. It's taken from pretty high up, the ships are pretty close to the beach and right in the center you can see a huge blast near the ships in the water.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The P-38G F (versions 5A & F-5B were reconnaissance versions) was introduced in the MTO in 1943.
The last production version of the P-38 was the P-38L. The Reconnaissance versions were the F-5F and the F-5G.

Picture # 1 may be one of these.

No idea on picture # 2.

Photo # 3 of the WACS is terrific.

Photo # 4 may be a bombing run and anti-aircraft fire. I believe I see 7 planes in the air. This may be a bombing run prior to a beach landing.

GREAT PHOTOS! Thanks for sharing. :D

Hondo

One Too Many
For someone not in the know you sure know your stuff ;) , very good narrating, wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing, keep posting :eusa_clap

zaika

One Too Many
lincsong - hehe, you're welcome. it's great to share things like this.

eniksleestack - were naval landings common in italy? i wish i knew where this had taken place, i'd love to read more about it.

carter - you see seven planes? where? i can't see 'em.

hondo - hehe, thanks. i only know so much...it's the details i wish that i had! lol

If he was in North Africa, too, there were several landings in that campaign; I don't have much scholarly resources to cite and there's a distastefully-high chance it's wrong, but my gut feel is that the last pic might be one of those. (Shall we see if I can set a Guinness record for most use of equivocation, hedging and other weaselwords in one glorious day?lol)

carter

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_doh: Now that I'm awake I see those seven planes are ships. I may need bifocals. :eusa_doh:

Originally posted by Diamondback
(Shall we see if I can set a Guinness record for most use of equivocation, hedging and other weaselwords in one glorious day?)

OK. Should be fun. lol

Are you still getting the lights at closing time? ;)

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Read Jeff Shaara's new historical novel "The Rising Tide"...it is a very readable account of what happened in North Africa during WW II, and the early history of the invasion of Italy. His second book of a trilogy will deal more with later events in Italy. Read all of his books...and his deceased father's, Michael (Killer Angels...a terrific account of Gettysburg)...They bring history to life. Also, if you could find out your gransfather's unit designation you would be able to research the history of that unit (Army papers, uniform patches, your grandmother's recall, letters home etc.). Being an historical detective is great fun. I just started doing my family's genealogy...you'd be amazed at what you can track down.
Best wishes,
Chuck

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
If that last pic was taken in Italy it could be the Salerno beachhead, on September 9th, 1944 -- 63 years ago today! According to wikipedia the US 5th Army made a water-borne landing and faced heavy German resistance, which is what you seem to see in your photo.

Here's a picture from the beach POV. Do you know your grandfather's unit designation?

ItalySalernoInvasion1943.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy