Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Head Got Bigger? What the heck?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry if this has been addressed in another thread. I couldn't find it.

My head got bigger. No joke. I used to wear 7 3/8 and now they are simply too small. They ride slightly high up on my head. A 7 1/2 is right for me now. Is it because of grad school? I don't know. Squinting at texts all the time and thus building up the muscles in my forehead, adding bulk? Is this crazy or stupid for me to ask? All I know is, my hats are too small now.

Some of you must know.

I'm going to need to sell a sweet chocolate brown Stetson late 1930s "Head Ease," a modern Borsalino cognac with medium brown ribbon, and a gray Lucien de Brabant late 1940s or early 1950s, all 7 3/8, eventually, but not yet. Now I need fedoras and PORKPIES (Buster Keaton style) that measure 7 1/2.

But my point is: has this happened to any of you?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Hasn't happened to me and I hope it never does.

Couldn't you stretch your hats instead of selling them or is this a good excuse to get new ones? ;)

Dr Doran

I'm glad it hasn't happened to you. I WOULDN'T EVEN WISH THIS ON AN ENEMY, much less a fellow Lounger.

If ya show me the stretching thread, I'll follow the instructions. Or should I soak my hats in water and then wear them?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
No need to soak, what I do is just throw my stretcher in a hat and crank it the amount I want (don't overstretch!).
hatstretcher.jpg

Let it stretch for a while until it keeps the size you want. Take it slow, stretch little by little.

It's important that the sweatband is in good, supple condition otherwise it could get damaged. Applying a little leather lotion helps. Steaming the sweatband could help also.

I've put this method to good use on several hats. I've taken two 6 7/8" hats and stretched them to 7 1/8".

Edit: here's a good thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=32065&highlight=stretch

Dr Doran

What a curious device. I shall have to get one. Thank you.

EDIT: I just found and ordered a hat stretcher from Harbor Freight: $6 plus $7 shipping. I'll try and stretch mine rather than selling 'em (sorry Mike).

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I know that twentyseven years ago, I was issued 7-1/4 headgear at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

Now, I'm a 7-1/2. You aren't the only one.

Dr Doran

TopGumby said:
I know that twentyseven years ago, I was issued 7-1/4 headgear at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

Now, I'm a 7-1/2. You aren't the only one.

OK, good. I feel like less of a freak.

But this was pretty SUDDEN. Not 27 years. Maybe one or two years.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Body weight shifts as we age. If you've picked up five extra pounds, that's why your hats are now small. When I lost weight, my hat size went down. Shoes got a little loose also.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Body weight shifts as we age. If you've picked up five extra pounds, that's why your hats are now small. When I lost weight, my hat size went down. Shoes got a little loose also.

The shoe part is scary....I lost 25 or so pounds and went down a whole number size in shoes....maybe women's feet are just fatter to start with...grrr

warbird

One Too Many
I have gained quite a bit of weight in the last 5 years, but no hat sizes. I do know some have experienced this though. But, what will change my hat size in a minute is the amount of hair I have. I usually keep it very closely cropped. But, if I don't keep up with it and it gets long, I can sometimes go up a full size in a hat.

I have also noticed a number of my hats shrink if I do not wear them over time.

A couple of hat stretchers have made life much easier. I think I will try making a few of them.

Dr Doran

OK, well, I could use losing a bit of weight. I'm at about 215 or so now, and I would be happier at 200. So I'll try that. I never eat sweets but I eat food a lot sometimes, like entire pizzas.

As for the sweat bands shrinking, I did not think of that either. I'll try that.

This is good advice. Any more?

Riot Earp

Familiar Face
When I was 25 pounds lighter I wore a 7 5/8. Now I wear a 7 3/4. I am losing weight though and hope to get back to the 7 5/8. Some people add flesh on their head when they gain weight, and some don't.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
How old of a person are you? Some folks keep growing quite a ways into their 20s........

Oh, and IMO steaming sweatbands is a good way to get them TIGHTER, not looser! Especially on an older hat with somewhat dried-out leather......just a TOUCH too much steam and they will curl up like a bug, and then it's too bad, so sad:( :( !

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Swell-

The Swelling Head:

The most likely reason is that you've been receiving too many compliments.

You need to stop smiling, dress down for a while, walk in the shadows,
maybe grow a beard.

Any wiseacres say anything remotely positive to you- you really gotta
tell em to shut up and simmer down.

That oughta work.

It did for me.

B
T

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I went up about a half size between age 30 and 35. My weight hasn't changed much, really, and has even gone down at times. But I had to place two vintage Stetsons on the alter of sacrifice. It does happen. If you are willing to stretch, go for it. Many people do. I have never had much luck.

macfly

Familiar Face
If you have put on weight quickly/recently this is most likely the cause. surprisingly, the skin over your skull has fat underneath as well. people vary in the amount of fat in their head skin but it can respond like any other fat cells in your body. if you lose some weight you might notice a difference. some people have very lean skin and others, myself included, have 'spongey' heads...crazy but true. you would never know unless you used your fingertips to squeeze the crown but its there...

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
warbird said:
I have gained quite a bit of weight in the last 5 years, but no hat sizes. I do know some have experienced this though. But, what will change my hat size in a minute is the amount of hair I have. I usually keep it very closely cropped. But, if I don't keep up with it and it gets long, I can sometimes go up a full size in a hat.

I have also noticed a number of my hats shrink if I do not wear them over time.

A couple of hat stretchers have made life much easier. I think I will try making a few of them.

This happens to me quite a bit. I always get to busy to get my hair cut on time like I should. When my hair is short I wear a 7 1/8 when it grows out I have a couple of 7 1/4 hats to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner