Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Henry" w/pics

arthur

Suspended
bendingoak said:
Arthur , I don't understand your comments. Fedora's are a lost item almost and if Indy fedora's spark some interest in fedora's. Should that make you happy. To keep something you like alive. I'm a new vender here and posting a review about another venders offering. Is there any reason to come in here and jump all over it. I thought a vender of fedora's would have a warmer welcome than this.

Now, to answer some questions.

Beaver will hold up better than any other felt. rabbit or a mix of the two.

The difference between the AB Henry and the Ab or ABD. The felt is different it's a factory hat. The block has the AB shape to it. It's has that special ribbon of theirs. The sweatband has a lot of give to it making it very comfortable. If you can't spend the cash for a Ab or a ABD or wait for them then a Henry is a good option. Also if you wanted a rabbit Raiders hat like the one in the Movie ( Raiders) than it's a good option.

here's the link to the website.

http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com/
I'm Bored It's the only explanation ,really I could less about your "Fedoras"and really I could care less about who wears a fedora .I am who I am and what you are seeing is the burning out of a comet .I came to this site for knowledge and some small bit of entertainment and it's run it's natural course so in the dying embers I'm getting a little enjoyment by burning up as I reenter the atmosphere.

Thanks, 'oak, but I had gone to Marc Kitter's site before I made the above post. When I click the tab marked "The Henry" it opens a page that says nothing but "coming soon."

Do you know which factory produces it? And the retail price? Are you at liberty to say?

Tone

A-List Customer
I had a pure beaver that looked really good and lasted for a few months before it started to shrink and lose its shape under actual wear beyond the keyboard and a park or two; but would you say the Henry would at least outlast that or, given that beaver is still the better felt under real wear conditions, that the Henry can be expected to hold up well for slightly less time? It looks good. I'm just wondering which version for $300 is worth the money, overall. What kind of tests can I do to each to see which one holds out the way it's supposed to? Is the beaver more water and taperproof than a henry blend? For $300 I want a hat that is impervious to the elements over the others. Which is going to last longer under those conditions?

To hear some tell it there seems the impression that beaver can be squashed down, wetted with a hose, and worn in 100+ degree weather for years with no signs of wear, shrinkage, or taper at all in comparison to all rabbit felts out there. Will the Henry last as long? It has that 20% beaver which should apparently be equal since their price is so close to what other hatters are offering for their beaver hats. Since the Henry is factory made and readily available, is it worth the same amount of money in quality as the Penman; AB; Fawcett; JP; and Keppler beaver hats that use the same factory Winchester beaver felt?

If they're all equally the same then it's a matter of waiting for the fastest hat to come off the line. But if there are differences among them, it'd be great to know what those are - hopefully it's not just the origin of a ribbon and how it's tacked on.

bendingoak

Vendor
I'm sorry to hear about your AB, thats not the norm with Steve's hats. I have three. My first one from him has seen everything a hat could possible see and looks great. Your AB just needs a re-block and would be great again. That I am sure about. The great thing about the felt Steve and myself use is that it will resist against tapper longer after every re-block. I would say after the 3rd or 4th one the felt would be dead and wouldn't tapper.

Beaver is going to out do any other felt. The reason I like the Henry AB is that it's a really good made factory hat that are being made like factory's used to do back in the day,with very little wait time and for those who do like what they see on screen has the following .

-right block shape
-right color
-right ribbon

I think it's a good thing for those who want an AB and can't wait for a handmade/custom built one by Steve or Marc and has the quality of the AB name.

impervious to the elements,
That doesn't exist my friend. it's a fedora not a fire helmet.

bendingoak

Vendor
tonyb said:
Thanks, 'oak, but I had gone to Marc Kitter's site before I made the above post. When I click the tab marked "The Henry" it opens a page that says nothing but "coming soon."

Do you know which factory produces it? And the retail price? Are you at liberty to say?

I would contact Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt hats. Marc_Kitter@web.de

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
arthur said:
I came to this site for knowledge and some small bit of entertainment and it's run it's natural course so in the dying embers I'm getting a little enjoyment by burning up as I reenter the atmosphere.

classy.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
arthur said:
I'm Bored It's the only explanation ,really I could less about your "Fedoras"and really I could care less about who wears a fedora .I am who I am and what you are seeing is the burning out of a comet .I came to this site for knowledge and some small bit of entertainment and it's run it's natural course so in the dying embers I'm getting a little enjoyment by burning up as I reenter the atmosphere.
Well, that's nothing if not...simply annoying. And very, VERY, pedestrian.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
bendingoak said:
I'm a new vender here and posting a review about another venders offering. Is there any reason to come in here and jump all over it. I thought a vender of fedora's would have a warmer welcome than this.
bendingoak I for one have enjoyed and appreciated your posts so far as have many others so do continue! I can probably even get over you being a hosedragger.lol I am waiting to see some non indy also maybe some diamond creases with bindings?:D
On the issue of AB shrinkage I bought an AB used. It was originally 7 3/4 but shrunk so it was up for sale. I bought it in the classifieds and sent it to steve for a reblock. He did a great job and converted it from raiders to CS for me. But I do have to stretch it everytime before I wear it or it will get uncomfortable, and it fit great when I got it back from him. It's not a severe problem but it seems to want to be a tad smaller.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
bendingoak said:
I'm a new vender here and posting a review about another venders offering. Is there any reason to come in here and jump all over it. I thought a vender of fedora's would have a warmer welcome than this.
Don't worry about it too much, he seems to have been posting with the goal of being intentionally offensive, and of getting himself suspended.

I appreciate your posts, and though I'm not a huge fan of the indy-syle, I find them very interesting, and always read them. Don't let one pathetic attention seeker bother you.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Being a craftsman myself I appreciate when someone who actually makes a product is part of the community. It is very nice to have the insight of someone like yourself and the other Vendors to talk with about something that we enjoy.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The reason I like it here so much is that what happened last night is the rare exception. We appreciate your input and your hat posts.........and the fact that you are endorsing someone elses product also says alot about your depth of character. :eusa_clap

KatintheHat

Suspended
To each his own. Arthur likes stingy's, I can't do a stingy. They look like crap on me, as they do him. I'd look better in an Indy style. I'm more partial to C and Diamonds though.

That Henry is a nice hat but... if it retails at $300. It's 3X to high.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
KatintheHat said:
I'd look better in an Indy style. I'm more partial to C and Diamonds though.
I have 2 indy style hats, my AB and a Peters Bros. which I love both. I also have the federation in black and have it with a diamond. If you do not care about movie accuracy the C and diamond does look fantastic in those hats!

KatintheHat

Suspended
Every hat has it's own personality. I let the hat dictate what it wants to be. I can block and shape them close to what I envision, but they take on a new life of their own on your head. :)

retro50

Familiar Face
Just to put my own two cents worth in here. I do not wish to be "Indy", but I do love fedoras. And I especially love fedoras of the 40's era, the era of Indiana Jones. His hat therefore is based on a 40's style fedora, and "customized" from there. So my most recent hat, a VS is a classic 40's style fedora minus the "Indy" customizations. So Arthur, just be aware that it is the Indiana Jones "FANatics" that have helped the rebirth of the fedora in modern society, and for that we thank them hugely. So, go do your thing, whatever that may be, and let us do ours. We do not bash you, so do not bash us. Ya, there is a little fanatacism here, and sometimes it becomes hilariously funny, and sometimes I have to "leave" for a while because of it or share it elsewhere because it is entertaining, as life should be. So Arthur, be gone sir, unless you can bring yourself to contribute usefully.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Lucky said:
Well, that's nothing if not...simply annoying. And very, VERY, pedestrian.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Well written!

Tone said:
...To hear some tell it there seems the impression that beaver can be squashed down, wetted with a hose, and worn in 100+ degree weather for years with no signs of wear, shrinkage, or taper at all in comparison to all rabbit felts out there. Will the Henry last as long? It has that 20% beaver which should apparently be equal since their price is so close to what other hatters are offering for their beaver hats. Since the Henry is factory made and readily available, is it worth the same amount of money in quality as the Penman; AB; Fawcett; JP; and Keppler beaver hats that use the same factory Winchester beaver felt?
Just for clarity, a 20% Beaver Felt is not the same felt as that used by at least two custom hatters, Art Fawcett and Jimmy Pierce, that I do business with. I have 100% Beaver Felts from both gentlemen. If someone has been led to believe that a 20% Beaver Felt is their equivalent, they are mistaken. Also, what a custom hatter does with a raw felt body is equivalent to what a master weaver does. Those bodies can go through so many steps that the hat you have in the finished product bears very little resemblance to a raw felt body. The difference is between that of craftsmanship and artistry versus production. Personally, I cannot imagine spending $300.00 or more on a production hat. I can easily envision spending that or more on a custom hat. Not only can I envision the expense, I can also envision wearing my custom hat in all kinds of weather.

retro50 said:
Just to put my own two cents worth in here. I do not wish to be "Indy", but I do love fedoras. And I especially love fedoras of the 40's era, the era of Indiana Jones. His hat therefore is based on a 40's style fedora, and "customized" from there. So my most recent hat, a VS is a classic 40's style fedora minus the "Indy" customizations. So Arthur, just be aware that it is the Indiana Jones "FANatics" that have helped the rebirth of the fedora in modern society, and for that we thank them hugely.
Well said, retro50. Like it or not, the Indiana Jones franchise has probably done more for the modern fedora than any other sociological phenomena. A person need not emulate Indy in order to appreciate the impact.

bendingoak said:
Arthur , I don't understand your comments. Fedora's are a lost item almost and if Indy fedora's spark some interest in fedora's. Should that make you happy. To keep something you like alive. I'm a new vender here and posting a review about another venders offering. Is there any reason to come in here and jump all over it. I thought a vender of fedora's would have a warmer welcome than this.
As several members have noted, bendingoak, we enjoy and appreciate your comments and posts. Don't let one misguided soul deter you. You are among friends.

ken100

Familiar Face
Cripes

I've been reading this thread and getting more and more lost, what a load of mularky, unless there is a subtle form of humour that is lost on me, it would seem that there is a form of very mean spiritedness afoot. Jeez guys, some people like chocolate icecream and some vanilla, its not my place to denigrate another persons penchants (sic). Ever remember as a kid having someone rain on your parade? Stop being narrow, mean and small minded!
Thats my opinion..... and if you dont like them I have others.
Ken

MCrider

A-List Customer
arthur said:
I am who I am and what you are seeing is the burning out of a comet .I came to this site for knowledge and some small bit of entertainment and it's run it's natural course so in the dying embers I'm getting a little enjoyment by burning up as I reenter the atmosphere.

Don't comets, when they burn up in the atmosphere, become small specks of what they once were?

[huh]

bendingoak

Vendor
Guys, thank for your reply.

Carter, Thanks for your post, it does make a difference reading it after the cheap shot that I took.

Now to get back to hats.

I agree with you guys that a pure beaver hand made fedora would be best and thats why use pure beaver felt for my hats, but for those who want the same characteristics of the raiders felt I think this is your best beat. It has the right block shape, right color, right ribbon and I like the sweatband.

For those who are not into the Indy look. I am working on a lady's hat and a stingy brim. I hope to have them finished soon and will post some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy