Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My humble entry into fountain-pen life

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Noodler's ETERNAL inks for fountain pens are permanent once dry.

Anyone know if Higgin's Eternal Ink (Made by Sanford) the same thing? This is all I've been able to find in my area. It says "permanent black ink" on the bottle, and the box says it's usable in fountain pens. (No problems yet!)

-Jake

Wash Me!

Riposte3 said:
Anyone know if Higgin's Eternal Ink (Made by Sanford) the same thing? This is all I've been able to find in my area. It says "permanent black ink" on the bottle, and the box says it's usable in fountain pens. (No problems yet!) -Jake
My understanding is the pemanent does mean it should not wash away with water and soap or detergent, but it can be chemically washed out, unlike the Noodler's.

Some inks are noted as "Washable" and should come out in the wash if you've stained a shirt or something but if water hits it when you've used it for letters, journaling or (heaven forbid) check writing, poof it is gone!!!

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
My understanding is the pemanent does mean it should not wash away with water and soap or detergent, but it can be chemically washed out, unlike the Noodler's.

Nuts. I was hoping that since it was named "Eternal" it would be the same thing under a different name. Maybe someone should tell Noodler's (or whoever has the trademark) that Sanford is using the same name for one of their inks. It sounds like they'd have a slam dunk infringement case. Especally if unlike the Noodler's version, Sanford's can be washed out chemically, because they're riding on the reputation of Noodler's version and damaging that reputation when it does wash out.

-Jake

Make Contact!

Riposte3 said:
Nuts. I was hoping that since it was named "Eternal" it would be the same thing under a different name. Maybe someone should tell Noodler's (or whoever has the trademark) that Sanford is using the same name for one of their inks. It sounds like they'd have a slam dunk infringement case. Especally if unlike the Noodler's version, Sanford's can be washed out chemically, because they're riding on the reputation of Noodler's version and damaging that reputation when it does wash out. -Jake
Hi Jake!

Here is Noodler's web site, send them a note of inquiry!:eek:
http://www.noodlersink.com/

Sincerely,

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I might do that later.

To get a little more on topic, I have recently re-entered fountain-pen life. My previous job as an EMT made fountain pens impractical, and I still have to use ballpoints where I volunteer. (In the back of a moving ambulance and with everything done in "carbon" paper, FP's just don't work.)

Several years ago, I was using FP's in school. My first was a Sheaffer No Nonsense Viewpoint, black with silver fittings, and a fine calligraphy nib. Then I got 2 Sheaffer Cartridge Pens, with fine nibs. These 2, sadly, were lost with my old bookbag.

Just a couple of days ago, I found an inexpensive set at the local Michael's. It's from the Manuscript Pen Co. in the U.K. It's prime selling point is the price. You get the pen with 5 nibs (including my favorite, the "music" nib, which seems to be just a 0.5mm calligraphy nib), 4 international short cartridges (2 black, 1 blue, 1 red), and, most importantly for me, a converter, all for $13!

Downside? The pen body and cap are obviously cheaply made. After 3 days, the cap is already showing a crack. :(

On the up side, I now have a converter and nibs that fit the Sheaffer Reaktor I bought a few months ago.

-Jake

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just picked up a Cross Apogee in red lacquer on sale at Levenger for $60. I was rather happy to pick up such a nice workhorse pen for so little money.

It is a medium nib, but it writes like a fine. It has art deco styling, which is appealing to me. You have to give the cap a little twist to post it. There is rubber inside that grabs it, as if by suction. If you don't do it correctly, the cap falls off. It's a bit of a touch-thing, and I have yet to master it.

All in all, I am very pleased with it.

Classic Design.

Hem,
that's a fine looking pen from A.T. Cross. It does have an Art Deco flair to it.

I have a Waterman Charleston in the Ivory color that has a nice art deco look too.
CharlestonIvory.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
John in Covina said:
Hem,
that's a fine looking pen from A.T. Cross. It does have an Art Deco flair to it.

I have a Waterman Charleston in the Ivory color that has a nice art deco look too.
Excellent pen, My Friend, I love the Waterman Charleston. I have it in yellow and Daisy has it in blue. ;) Great Choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou