Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My ideal A-2...is it really too much to ask?

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
aswatland said:
All the photos posted here, apart from the one of JC is wearing, date from the early to mid 1930s. The AN-J3 dates from 1943. The jacket you describe as having a zip and button pockets is an A2 be SAT, dating from 1932. It is clear from the photo that the A-1 with the name strip above the left pocket does indeed have one pocket higher than the other. It may have been a production error or a field addition as Fletch suggests. Without the actual jacket to examine we will never know for sure.

My bad. I always thought the AN-J3 pre-dated the A-2. Since, it is essentially a Navy G-1, without the mouton collar. But it was supposed to be a replacement for the A-2.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lone_Ranger said:
My bad. I always thought the AN-J3 pre-dated the A-2. Since, it is essentially a Navy G-1, without the mouton collar. But it was supposed to be a replacement for the A-2.

The A-1 pre-dated the A2. The AN-J-3 was not issued and there are no surviving ones with a military spec issue label. The AN-J-3a had a mouton collar and was essentially an M422A but made for the USAAF and USN in the 1944 fiscal year and was a replacement for the A2.

Danny L

New in Town
aswatland said:
British humour I'm afraid. I doubt if more than a few SAT A2s still exist today.

That being said, anyone know of one in a collection? I imagine some crazy rich Japanese collector having one locked up somewhere.

The one thing I'd love to know is how many are sitting stashed away in some dusty attic. ;)

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
CBI said:
Yes, love these photos. I am sure John Chapman would try this contract if he had an original to work from. I don't think he replicates from photos alone. I'll bet someday soon ...........................

I think quite a bit of this look is/could be achieved with his other jackets with a slightly roomier fit and some added details. But nothing beats a clone of a contract (except the real thing!)

:)

The Goodwear A-1 isn't based off of an original jacket, but I'm not sure John would do this on an A-2.

NH

Stand By

One Too Many
The A-1 pre-dated the A2. The AN-J-3 was not issued and

...Erm, and with all due respect, I think this ANJ-3 that was on display at LAX would disagree.

Attachments

• ANJ3 LAX.jpg
    ANJ3 LAX.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 300
  • ANJ3 LAX3.jpg
    ANJ3 LAX3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 292
  • ANJ-3 #2.jpg
    ANJ-3 #2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 318

SIGGY

A-List Customer
recently posted a CAG-11 emblems on this one patch are only 3 inches in size , also posting soon a 120th Fighter Squadron (Colorado ANG)

120th Fighter Squadron patch now posted.................

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Anything's possible. Security never got another A-2 contract, so maybe they weren't up to gov't standards. A lot probably depended on being the low bidder in 1932...

If they were of inferior quality hide, might that, as well as low production numbers, explain the apparent lack of surviving examples?

The A-1 pre-dated the A2. The AN-J-3 was not issued and there are no surviving ones with a military spec issue label. The AN-J-3a had a mouton collar and was essentially an M422A but made for the USAAF and USN in the 1944 fiscal year and was a replacement for the A2.

Was the ANJ3A essentially the same jacket as the AN6552? I think I remember being told that on here... somewhere!

In good condition $10K+ perhaps. There were probably no more than 500 originally made with so few still around today.

Would the value be affected by the comparative lack of interst in the period from which it stems (as opposed to WW2 era), or does the rarity of this as the original A2 contract outweigh that?

...Erm, and with all due respect, I think this ANJ-3 that was on display at LAX would disagree.

Didn't they field test jackets before full issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ