Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest Art Fawcett acquisition

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The felt color is Chocolate (appropriately enough).

I hope to get a pic wearing it tomorrow. Today was dirty-work day, so I was smelly, sweaty, and unshaven. On top of not wanting to look that bad in the internet, I didn't want to expose my brand new lid to such appalling conditions! lol

Tort - no guarantees on Fest, but I will try. It depends on how my father is doing. He's recovering from surgery (and rather well so far), but it all depends on that.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is another dazzling fedora by Art. The colour combination is outstanding.
Congrats on a brillaint hat NB and all the best to your Dad for a speedy recovery and good health in the future.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Congratulations NotBogart!!!!

This hat is however another excellent creation.
These two colors do work together!
I bet Art had to do a ton of color matching before he went on working.

Speedy recovery for your father!!!!

Best:

Tom

P.S. The ensemble of clothing you display in your avatar is also very good!!!

Neil

A-List Customer
Well, here's the thing. . .

As much as I like sharp and unusual color combos, actually putting one on your head and heading out the door is something else altogether.
Don't you have to ask yourself where you can wear something outstanding? I mean, it would be lovely to have one of those porcelain-colored Optimo 1000s, but my guess is it would sit at home most of the time.
Whereas classic grey with black ribbon truly does go with almost everything.
I'm not dumping on the chocolate mint idea. But will you wear it?

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Neil said:
As much as I like sharp and unusual color combos, actually putting one on your head and heading out the door is something else altogether.
Don't you have to ask yourself where you can wear something outstanding? I mean, it would be lovely to have one of those porcelain-colored Optimo 1000s, but my guess is it would sit at home most of the time.

I'm betting this one gets a lot of wear.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I've learned a great deal about myself during my hat-wearing years. At this point, I don't buy a hat unless I know I'd wear it often. This hat will be worn plenty. I wore it to the grocery store today. I have other stand-out lids that have also seen that store. I know I will have moods, outfits, or occasions when I want basic gray/black or quiet brown on brown, and I have hats for those days. But I also have hats with a dignified, tasteful "Wow" to them.

I think it's a matter of taste and personal comfort. Some people can't wear their best and nicest on just an ordinary day. I was like that for a long time, and I understand exactly where you're coming from. I've outgrown stuff that never got worn by thinking that way. But I've decided that I'm tired of waiting for a special day to wear my special stuff. Those days are too few and too infrequent. I wear what I like, when I like.

So, Yes. I will wear it. :D

Neil said:

Erik

One of the Regulars
I like it. Quite a bit, actually.

Say, what's the party line on having to match distinctive ribbons to some other apparel item?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
But I've decided that I'm tired of waiting for a special day to wear my special stuff. Those days are too few and too infrequent. I wear what I like, when I like.

Great attitude. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

tortswon

Practically Family
I'm with you

Being involved with wine, people ask me all the time when a particular bottle should be opened. They are always saving the bottle for a "special occasion."

I always tell them the same thing, opening the bottle will make the occasion special, just like wearing your hat to the grocery store. Enjoy your hat. It's a stunner! Best, Sam

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
But I've decided that I'm tired of waiting for a special day to wear my special stuff. Those days are too few and too infrequent.

Thanks for posting the hat NB and also, I love the attitude. Thanks fo rthe kind words my friends.

I've never understood why undulge yourself by having an item made specifically for you, then not using it. My closest example is my car. So many of my friends had fits when they would see me drive the car to the grocery store ( 1932 Marmon model 8-125....one of only 5 known to exist) that it got annoying. I'd have to remind them, "It's just friggin a car!!!" It wasn't meant to by hung on the wall, it was built to drive. My hats, however different, are still just hats..meant to be worn.

retro50

Familiar Face
Art Fawcett said:
Thanks for posting the hat NB and also, I love the attitude. Thanks fo rthe kind words my friends.

I've never understood why undulge yourself by having an item made specifically for you, then not using it. My closest example is my car. So many of my friends had fits when they would see me drive the car to the grocery store ( 1932 Marmon model 8-125....one of only 5 known to exist) that it got annoying. I'd have to remind them, "It's just friggin a car!!!" It wasn't meant to by hung on the wall, it was built to drive. My hats, however different, are still just hats..meant to be worn.

I enjoy my hats so much, including my recent VS, that I wear them to work every day. Work is a dirty grimy furniture finishing shop (that I own). The hat comes off when I arrive and goes into its safe little cabinet for the day, and back on my head once my hands are clean at the end of the day. But my somewhat sizeable investment is worn and displayed every day. BTW Art, that "Wall Street Modified" gets a lot of comments - especially from non-fedora wearers.

Neil

A-List Customer
Not so unusual

I wear a hat everyday now, partly because I just like to, partly on advice of the dermatologist.
Anyway, fedoras draw no stares at all here in Washington. Partly, I think, that's because Washington is a majority black city, and black men tend to dress with more flair and verve.
But I see more hats every year. There was an article in the Times yesterday quoting a hatmaker as saying he used to do it part time, but has quit his other jobs because of the increased demand.
Meaning of course that prices will inevitably go up.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:

:eusa_clap THAT'S the attitude to have!

:eek:fftopic:
And maybe I've missed it, but have you posted any pics of that Marmon on the Lounge, Art? If you haven't, I'd love to see it. :rolleyes:

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
New Pictures!!!

OK, I got some pics wearing the hat. I cleaned up, but never got to shave. Sorry. :(

Great hat! Bogart didn't shave sometimes too. 2 months until I get my VS (or thereabouts) I can't wait, and I WILL wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy