Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My latest designs I thought you guys might be interested

himelator

Vendor
couple notes about the design...it was a 1930s canadian design...copied by a few companies down here in the schmata district of spadina...and showed up as far away as vancouver. it was euro inspired..with the cafe collar most of the time and the funny angular tabs...the shell design was a way of saving leather ...when you had to cut one large back piece you needed to cut out the centre of the hide but 6 small pieces was easier to find good pieces to cut. The sewing and cutting was cheaper then the materials. the half belt was sewn onl which at the surface would seem weird but if you think about it its purpose is different that what you would think. It was not so much to tighten the jacket at the waist as to form two loose vents down the sides of the back for shoulder expansion...before the by swing back it created the motion and slack in the design for movement. The piece sewn on top reinforced the tabs on the waist to give them extra strength. That is my best guess from looking at the jackets over the years

Wow- neat back, bit of an odd design though. Note how the back is one piece with no side panels- the halfbelt is just a square of leather that is sewn on in the middle of the panel- not structural like it is on most half belts. Unless there is a seam hidden under the side tabs?

Cheers
Mark

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran