Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My leather jacket database.

marmalademan

Banned
Hey Carlos. I was studying the pics whilst waiting in traffic etc earlier today.
I think for better perspective in terms of fully gauging those lengths that full length shots would be a bit more helpful. Do you fancy doing it all again? :)
Also, I can't help feeling that the Bootleggers and Himel could be shorter and would be better for being so. Same for that Californian, although I get that maybe you needed an L for the sleeves not to be too short.

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Great post, very insightful! Can you let us know the rise on your jeans? This will put the length of the jackets in proper perspective. That Warhawk is awesome stuff...,

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Great post, very insightful! Can you let us know the rise on your jeans? This will put the length of the jackets in proper perspective. That Warhawk is awesome stuff...,

Good point, i have edited my first post to add that info:

The jeans i am wearing are Iron Heart 634S-14 W32 L36, front rise is 11", back rise is 15.5".

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic thread! I'm with @Fanch on this, LL is my favorite too, though I'm not sure why. It's neither the nicest nor the best fitting jacket you have. That title goes to Himel. And yeah, gotta agree with @Harris HTM as well, AL also at the top.

Thanks.
Any thoughts about folding the J-100 collar?
I had never tried it until i saw Gimme Danger and noticed that Iggy wears his CR that way.
It's actually much more comfortable, especially when you have a beard, and if it's cool enough for Iggy, it's cool enough for me. What does our resident CR expert have to say about that?

Thanks.
Any thoughts about folding the J-100 collar?
I had never tried it until i saw Gimme Danger and noticed that Iggy wears his CR that way.
It's actually much more comfortable, especially when you have a beard, and if it's cool enough for Iggy, it's cool enough for me. What does our resident CR expert have to say about that?

You know, I actually did notice it right away and wanted to say something but figured you might not have even given it a second thought. Always thought that a folded collar on a CR looks extremely cool though sadly, couldn't pull it off on any of my jackets as neither one would obey. They'd just flip right back. But it looks really cool! That jacket still looks as badass as ever and it just keeps getting better...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere up above here length was mentioned, and the counterpoint of some of the jackets being short and better for it.

Torso length, in my experance, is often one of the most subjective and difficult lengths to get correct with these sorts of jackets. Since Carlos' jacket are already made & owned by him, they won't be getting shorter anytime unless Carlos gets taller.

Personally, I think he not only wears them well, but did a great job specifying the length as it does cover his belt in nearly every occassion. To me, this is pretty important. Some of the jackets I have the hardest time wearing do not come down to m y belt, let alone at least cover part of it. Seems like he prefers this, and I do as well. Jeans type and rise type matter as well here. Just my $.02

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Freewheelers La Brea, size 42, Rude Black HH, 2018:

Pit to pit: 22.5”
Back length: 24.5”
Front length: 22”
Bottom hem: 21”
Shoulders: 20.5"
Arms length:25.5”

8LJifCG.jpg

t8z3zp9.jpg

rl7miUK.jpg

Review: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/freewheelers-labrea.94219/#post-2432679

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I just got myself a baggage scale and thought i would weigh my jackets too.
Here it goes:

Schott 644: 1.95 kg / 4.31 lb
Lewis Leathers 551: 1.94 kg / 4.25 lb
AL Cafe Racer: 2.72 kg / 5.66 lb
DC J-100: 1.80 kg / 3.98 lb
ELMC Californian: 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb
Aero Bootlegger (brown): 2.31 kg / 5.09 lb
Aero Bootlegger (black): 2.55 kg / 5.63 lb
Himel Chevalier: 2.23 kg / 4.93 lbs
Schott B3: 2.11kg / 4.66 lb
Freewheelers La Brea: 2.61 kg / 5.76 lb
Vanson Chopper: 3.60 kg / 7.95 lb

Few things worth mentioning:

There is a 2kg (4.5lb) difference between my lightest and my heaviest jacket, the Chopper is literally more than twice the weight of the Californian!

The difference between the heaviest Aero wool tartan and the lightest Aero cotton lining is only around 200gr (0.5lb)

Shinki isn't as lightweight as most people think it is. My three Shinki made jackets are really close in weight to my two CXL made jackets.

2 to 2.3 kg (4.5 to 5 lb) is the sweet spot for me. As much as i enjoy the "I AM INVINCIBLE" feeling i get when putting on the AL cafe racer or the Vanson Chopper, they end up giving me back/shoulder pain if i have to wear them all day long standing up and walking around.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I just got myself a baggage scale and thought i would weigh my jackets too.
Here it goes:

Schott 644: 1.95 kg / 4.31 lb
Lewis Leathers 551: 1.94 kg / 4.25 lb
AL Cafe Racer: 2.72 kg / 5.66 lb
DC J-100: 1.80 kg / 3.98 lb
ELMC Californian: 1.53 kg / 3.37 lb
Aero Bootlegger (brown): 2.31 kg / 5.09 lb
Aero Bootlegger (black): 2.55 kg / 5.63 lb
Himel Chevalier: 2.23 kg / 4.93 lbs
Schott B3: 2.11kg / 4.66 lb
Freewheelers La Brea: 2.61 kg / 5.76 lb
Vanson Chopper: 3.60 kg / 7.95 lb

Few things worth mentioning:

There is a 2kg (4.5lb) difference between my lightest and my heaviest jacket, the Chopper is literally more than twice the weight of the Californian!

The difference between the heaviest Aero wool tartan and the lightest Aero cotton lining is only around 200gr (0.5lb)

Shinki isn't as lightweight as most people think it is. My three Shinki made jackets are really close in weight to my two CXL made jackets.

2 to 2.5 kg (4.5 to 5.5 lb) is the sweet spot for me. As much as i enjoy the "I AM INVINCIBLE" feeling i get when putting on the AL cafe racer or the Vanson Chopper, they end up giving me back/shoulder pain if i have to wear them all day long standing up and walking around.

Interesting to read how all of these weigh in. 8 lbs Chopper. Wow.

I noticed my sweet spot shifts depending on how good I am in shape by the way; when I received Mendels monster of a HWM which is somewhere around 4,2kg and 4,5kg according to bathroom scale, I hadn't done sports in a good while and my neck hurt from wearing it. I much prefered my medium weight Langlitz Cascade. Now that I did a lot of swimming and freeletics stuff in the past 8 months, I can wear the HWM perfectly comfortably, had it on for 5 hours straight at the schützenfest, no problems.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Interesting to read how all of these weigh in. 8 lbs Chopper. Wow.

I noticed my sweet spot shifts depending on how good I am in shape by the way; when I received Mendels monster of a HWM which is somewhere around 4,2kg and 4,5kg according to bathroom scale, I hadn't done sports in a good while and my neck hurt from wearing it. I much prefered my medium weight Langlitz Cascade. Now that I did a lot of swimming and freeletics stuff in the past 8 months, I can wear the HWM perfectly comfortably, had it on for 5 hours straight at the schützenfest, no problems.

Yeah, heavy leather isn't as easy to wear as we might think!
I would say i am in better shape than average, i train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 3 to 5 times a week and work out 3 times a week on top of that, and even doing that my body struggles with a whole day of heavy leather jacket.
One day at a time might be ok, but last winter i spent four days in Amsterdam wearing my AL all day long whilst visiting and walking around, and by the third day my shoulders neck and back were a mess!
My Girlfriend is the same, she can't wear her LL all day without wrecking her back. In her defense she broke her back when she was young...

I guess it's normal though, i am a musician and playing a 3 hour gig with a 4kg bass around your neck doesn't feel much better!
It's just weird to think that something this light can become this heavy after a few hours.

I have no idea how @ton312 deals with his heavy steer, i know he is built like a truck, but still, it must be a killer!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe a question of habit?
My suburban is about 2.61 kg and the tan Thedi 2.77 kg, and I can wear them all day long no problems. I am not specially in good shape. Need to see how the J24 feels all day, it's 3.56 kg.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Maybe a question of habit?
My suburban is about 2.61 kg and the tan Thedi 2.77 kg, and I can wear them all day long no problems. I am not specially in good shape. Need to see how the J24 feels all day, it's 3.56 kg.

Don't know, i mostly wear leather jackets, so i think i am pretty used to it...

When i say all day long i mean put it on at 8 am leaving and take it off at 8pm when i get home, walking all day long, maybe taking it off an hour for lunch. That's 11 hours of leather jacket wearing in a day and that kills me if done multiple days in a row with a heavy beast.

In regular use, ie a couple hours here and there throughout the day, taking it off indoors, usually less than 5 or 6 hours wear altogether i am fine.

Jejupe

Practically Family
One good thing about weighing between 110 kg - 120 kg (depending on season) is that weight of the jacket doesn't really matter that much.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't know, i mostly wear leather jackets, so i think i am pretty used to it...

When i say all day long i mean put it on at 8 am leaving and take it off at 8pm when i get home, walking all day long, maybe taking it off an hour for lunch. That's 11 hours of leather jacket wearing in a day and that kills me if done multiple days in a row with a heavy beast.

In regular use, ie a couple hours here and there throughout the day, taking it off indoors, usually less than 5 or 6 hours wear altogether i am fine.

That's what I use the suburban for, as it's my most used travel jacket
Edit: Actually my most used jacket until summer, when I switched to the Thedi

One good thing about weighing between 110 kg - 120 kg (depending on season) is that weight of the jacket doesn't really matter that much.

I did lose 5kg recently, so... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy