Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My LW Ryder after 8 months

One of the Regulars
Back in April last year I ordered a Lost World Ryder out of their sale page.
30's Halfbelt style, 3 OZ russet horsehide, size 40 for less than $400 it was a deal that I couldn't resist back then.
Upon arrival I immediately felt in love with the jacket ergos, material, construction, attention to detail,etc,etc.
Since then I wear the jacket once or twice a week just for casual use ( never on the bikes).
The jacket is break in beautifully, showing a great character with a lot of creases everywhere and it its a pleasure to wear it.
Overall I'm extremely happy with a top notch Lost World jacket at an incredible price.:eusa_clap
Here few pics from last month.

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
Congrats with this stunning jacket! I love the way how this leather devellops. The more a leather jacket is worn, the better is looks IMHO.
Thanks for sharing this with us and good luck to you!
Andy

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Fabulous jacket there C.

Someday I'll have enough saved up to send you my 865 engine for the 1087 treatment. :) [And I hope that day comes sooner rather than later. :) ]

Todd V

Familiar Face
Nice jacket! Looking good.

Those photos show the color very well. The color of my two-month old LW Ryder looks the same under a little bit of lighting.

One of the Regulars
Congrats with this stunning jacket! I love the way how this leather devellops. The more a leather jacket is worn, the better is looks IMHO.
Thanks for sharing this with us and good luck to you!
Andy

Many ,many thanks Andy, coming from you means a lot to me!

These photos are making me reconsider one those. I was under the impression it was much darker.

Good! You can't go wrong with it!

I just picked up one of these jackets last week and the color in the photos above is spot on.

It is!
Enjoy yours!

Nice jacket! Looking good.

Those photos show the color very well. The color of my two-month old LW Ryder looks the same under a little bit of lighting.

I seen yours. it looks great on you!

One of the Regulars
Fabulous jacket there C.

Someday I'll have enough saved up to send you my 865 engine for the 1087 treatment. :) [And I hope that day comes sooner rather than later. :) ]

Many thanks for your compliment Bonnie!
If I can be of any help please let me know!.
PS: Could you please e mail me your T RAT forum handle?

ampgoesto11

New in Town
Love the LW Ryder? Consider a Johnson Leathers.

Yep, love the LW Ryder. Owned one in very heavy cowhide. If you like the Ryder, consider a Johnson Leathers M200 and M200L (27" longer back) for half the price of a LW. I took ownership of a M200L that was made in 3.5 "SFPD cowhide" just before Christmas. It was $480 shipped to NC. I love it. I will order another one in American FQHH this year. Contrary to LW's rantings, he's not the only jacket maker in the U.S. who can obtain American FQHH.
Johnson's website is not great, but their service and products are top knotch.

One of the Regulars
Yep, love the LW Ryder. Owned one in very heavy cowhide. If you like the Ryder, consider a Johnson Leathers M200 and M200L (27" longer back) for half the price of a LW. I took ownership of a M200L that was made in 3.5 "SFPD cowhide" just before Christmas. It was $480 shipped to NC. I love it. I will order another one in American FQHH this year. Contrary to LW's rantings, he's not the only jacket maker in the U.S. who can obtain American FQHH.
Johnson's website is not great, but their service and products are top knotch.

Thanks for your post!
It seems that there is some points in a need of clarification!
First of all I deal with both companies ( Alan from Johnson Leather is a great guy to deal with)
Stuart ) Lost Worlds) it's not claiming that he is the only in US making HH jackets with US HH, there is quite a few besides him,Johnson Leather( as you well pointed) Langlitz Leathers (Japanese HH), Goodwear(Japanese HH), Schott (Italian HH), and their private party second label Legendary products, and US Wings, Fox Creek,etc,etc.
What Stuart claims is that he has the best US Horsehide for MC jackets made here in US and he is right, I own Lost World products, Johnson Leather, Schott , and Legendary up to this point and Stuart claims are correct.
Alan ( Johnson Leather) can't get the best hides from Horween tannery here in US because all those goes to Aero in Scotland ( they are not made here in US).
I hope this help.

Last edited:

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Looking great (no surprise). I second your comment that LW has the best HH in the US (and as good as any, anywhere), and the quality of the workmanship is unsurpassed in my experience. No disrepect to Johnson and others, but their quality really isn't in the same league with LW (though the price is significantly lower). A real appreciation for LW workmanship literally requires examination with a good magnifying glass (yeah, I'll admit I've gone that far looking for a flaw, lol).

Enjoy the jacket in good health!

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
I agree 100% that LW HH is the absolute best HH available anywhere, for any price. I have owned A-2 jackets from every maker from Goodwear to Aero to ELC to Gibson & Barnes/Flightsuits, Avirex/The Cockpit, Real McCoy's, etc. The HH leather varies from good to bad to somewhere in between among even the high-priced premium manufacturers. LW surpasses them all in terms of the quality of the leather. Goodwear certainly has all the details down to a science, and John's leather is excellent. However, the heavyweight 4oz. LW HH is truly incomparable!

One of the Regulars
Looking great (no surprise). I second your comment that LW has the best HH in the US (and as good as any, anywhere), and the quality of the workmanship is unsurpassed in my experience. No disrepect to Johnson and others, but their quality really isn't in the same league with LW (though the price is significantly lower). A real appreciation for LW workmanship literally requires examination with a good magnifying glass (yeah, I'll admit I've gone that far looking for a flaw, lol).

Enjoy the jacket in good health!

Thank you!
We both agree in all counts!

I agree 100% that LW HH is the absolute best HH available anywhere, for any price. I have owned A-2 jackets from every maker from Goodwear to Aero to ELC to Gibson & Barnes/Flightsuits, Avirex/The Cockpit, Real McCoy's, etc. The HH leather varies from good to bad to somewhere in between among even the high-priced premium manufacturers. LW surpasses them all in terms of the quality of the leather. Goodwear certainly has all the details down to a science, and John's leather is excellent. However, the heavyweight 4oz. LW HH is truly incomparable!

Good to know that you have jackets from all those manufacturers and you consider LW the best.
I have one on order from Goodwear since last May, I'm anxiously waiting to get the jacket to make a comparison.

nioblu

One of the Regulars
Guys I'm selling my almost brand new Lost Worlds Ryder size 38 russet...have a look in the classifieds
CIAO!

flaminggroovy

New in Town
I agree with you about the quality of LW's HH...I have the suburban and down town carcoat in HH and after 8 yrs the leather is still oustanding.
Now I'm thinking about buying LW Ryder jacket..
What's your opinion about the jacket..Is it really snug fit..? Is there room enough (zipper up) to wear it with a sweater ?. Stu advised me a 44R, because I'm afraid a 42R would be too
tight on the body.
Many Thanks
Johan

a1a

New in Town
My size 42 Russett HH Ryder measures out at about 22.5" pit to pit front and back which makes it in my mind a slightly trim fit for a size 42. I can comfortably wear it with a light fleece vest for cold weather use. I'm about 6'-0" and 155 pounds with a 40" chest for reference. For me it's a perfect fit, I wouldn't go any smaller. Ditto's on the hide, for how heavy it is it is amazing supple. I just picked up Infinitum's GoodWear Californian Ventura which has a similar look but a different cut. HH is lighter than my Ryder but heavier than the most recent LW Dubow A2 I had. You could make the argument that the GW is more practical for off the bike 3 season everyday wear but I love them both. I'll be curious to see which one I tend to gravitate to.

flaminggroovy

New in Town
So your actual size is 40 but your HH Ryder is 42..?
My size 42 Russett HH Ryder measures out at about 22.5" pit to pit front and back which makes it in my mind a slightly trim fit for a size 42. I can comfortably wear it with a light fleece vest for cold weather use. I'm about 6'-0" and 155 pounds with a 40" chest for reference. For me it's a perfect fit, I wouldn't go any smaller. Ditto's on the hide, for how heavy it is it is amazing supple. I just picked up Infinitum's GoodWear Californian Ventura which has a similar look but a different cut. HH is lighter than my Ryder but heavier than the most recent LW Dubow A2 I had. You could make the argument that the GW is more practical for off the bike 3 season everyday wear but I love them both. I'll be curious to see which one I tend to gravitate to.

Anders

One of the Regulars
I think buying three jackets from the LW sale page has ruined my perception of value. I know an Aero/Goodwear/full price LW is probably worth its cost, but I got the same thing from $300! I'll never be able to convince myself to spend more than twice that much now.

I think buying three jackets from the LW sale page has ruined my perception of value. I know an Aero/Goodwear/full price LW is probably worth its cost, but I got the same thing from $300! I'll never be able to convince myself to spend more than twice that much now.
It effects me differently. Once I obtained 3 or 4 jackets at a bargain, I felt less bad spending full price on a new jacket, custom made. I see what you mean, but I felt like I "saved" enough previously to make it not a big deal. That's what I do to convince myself anyway. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner