Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "mission" back in time.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wow! I saw a B-17 fly over up at Chautauqua Lake about 10 or 15 years ago. It was at the Jamestown Airport for a while, and had been flying in the area. It flew over just at just a few hundred feet altitude. That alone was thrill I'll never forget. I can hardly imagine actually flying in one. Altho, speaking of DC-3's I did have a ride on a military one (C-47) in 1969. We spent an hour doing slow circles over Kiluhea Crater in Hawaii at 500 feet. That was a real hoot.

Jovan

Suspended
Diamondback said:
Jovan, IIRC on most airworthy B-17s the slots the guns traversed/elevated through have been covered with metal plates.

Unbolt those hunks of metal and you'd have free range of movement just like you were over Berlin...
Aww, that defeats the purpose of flying in one if you can't pretend you're shooting down fighters... :D

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
I have one question about the sixth picture from top: How were they supposed to aim the guns up and down? They seem bolted in place.
The guns are fixed for visual display outside of the plane.
The mechanical top turret is missing from the Liberty Belle.

Here is a great site if you're into info on the remaining B17 airframes.
http://www.aerovintage.com/b17bits.htm

Hondo

One Too Many
Any time you get a chance to ride one of these,
its a thrill of a life time,
Some of us got a chance to fly in this baby,
The Nine-O-Nine, B17G, Thanks for sharing :)

nineonineB17c.jpg

She crashed once about 10 yrs or so ago,
Restored and still a beauty, smooth ride.

nineonineB17b.jpg

Tophat Dan

New in Town
B-17's

About two years ago, Willow Run, an old airport near my parent's house, had their usual airshow. The theme that year was bombers, as B-24's used to be built there. There were seven of the eight B-17's still flying at the time. The show was great. After it was over we were in my folks back yard, which is very near the takeoff and approach paths for aircraft coming into Willow Run.
We got to see every bomber (and most of the other aircraft) take off over their back yard, seven of them right in a row and no more than six or eight hundred feet. I'll always remember it.

Dan

kampkatz

Practically Family
You had a rare treat, Tophat Dan. Those special aircraft are limited in number as you know. When one becomes grounded(or crashes, God forbid) there is nothing to replace it. Cherish not only the memories but any photos you may have of the event.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars

I will definately take a trip next time one comes around. I have seen the Nine O Nine, the Liberty, The Aluminum over. , the Memphis Belle (the Movie Plane) it came around in 1992 in Greenville SC, I still have the newspaper clippings. What was the best on that was it was (I think) and F model, where everything was still very dangerous, Open Waist gunner windows, etc..
Now, for all you thrill seekers, You can catch a ride in a P-51 Mustang, talk about thrills! I would like to fly in the B-17, B24, B25 and a P-51. I think, If I remember correctly, it was $2-4000 for 8 Minutes in the Air, and $8K-$10K for 20 - 30 minutes in the Air.
Another Cool thing, one of the Restoration clubs offers a "WWII Training" weekend excursion. You can go for a weekend, train like the WWII Crew, sleep in WWII Bunks, go to pre flight missions, etc.. Its called WWII Bomber Crew Fantasy Camp. Its available from Collings Foundation, www.collingsfoundation.org You can go there and see the cost for a P51, and other flights and information on the WWII Bomber Fantasy Crew Camp.
I would LOVE to do this, but unfortunately, I have no money :eusa_doh: I have a pregnant wife.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars

Actually, you can still sign up for the WWII Bomber Crew Fantasy Camp. Its starting in May 2009 in Stockton California
Here is a BLURP on it. I hope its Okay to copy and paste this.

FROM THE COLLINGS FOUNDATION:
"Have you ever dreamed of becoming part of a bomber crew and flying your very own mission? The Collings Foundation will be offering a very unique two-day training program in which you train for and fly a simulated WWII bombing mission aboard the B-24 Liberator "Witchcraft". No doubt, this will be one of the most amazing things you will ever experience. Space is limited! We are now accepting reservations for Crew #1. Once this is full, we will take reservations for Crew #2. 50% deposit required.
Base Location:
Stockton Municipal Airport / Stockton Field Aviation Museum Hangar, California.
Target:
Top Secret Classified Information. Crew will be issued mission and target objectives on completion of aircrew training.
Crew Size:
Crew 1 ~ 16 trainees / Crew of 8 per mission
Crew 2 ~ 16 trainees / Crew of 8 per mission
Cost:
$3,900 per person. Includes accommodations for two nights. Age restrictions: 16 yrs. and older. 16 yrs. to 18yrs. has to be accompanied by legal adult guardian ."

DAY 1
Day One: Pre-Mission Training
* Basic outline of course and goals.
* WWII Heavy Bomber history, theatres of operation and primary missions.
* Identification of crew positions and duties.
* Crewmember orientation to essential equipment.
* Gunnery orientation.
* Target practice.
Day Two
Day Two: Briefing and Mission Orders are Issued
* Refresher course on equipment / Q & A.
* Commanding Officer will brief the crew on the day's mission.
* Suit up and drive to the aircraft in bomb truck.
* Pre flight and further briefing on flight, mission and crew position.
* Load aircraft ordinance and prepare equipment.
* Fly the mission.
* Mission de-briefing.

There is also information on Flying the P-51, and flying on a Messerschmitt Me-262
Thats Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a JET FIGHTER, I didnt know about this one. They are accepting a candidate for a rear position on a flight on a ME-262 Jet.
Thats AWESOME

Check out the site and you will see all the unbelievable things they offer.
If I had an extra Million dollars, I would do everything they offer!!!!

HOP UP

Vendor
Fantastic thread and pix.

YOU Sir, are living my dream. On my next trip Stateside I really want to go up in a B17 called "Aluminium Overcast" ;)

http://www.b17.org/

I have always had a HUGE passion for WWII warbirds and aviators from a young age - growing up watching BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP kinda did me in haha.

Thanx for sharing your experience.

FANTASTIC !!

RAt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran