Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My mission, goodwill top coat

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have a thread in the suit section, and I've had fabulous success finding suits at local Goodwill stores for very little money, normally $11 or so per suit and $8 per sportcoat. My new quest is to locate a couple of topcoats or trenchcoats without breaking the bank. Local GW stores charge $30 for most coats, a few are higher. What I want is the following:
1. black or really dark charcoal wool topcoat, SB
2. chesterfield coat with the black velvet collar
3. black trenchcoat
4. tan trenchcoat

My rationale for the black trenchcoat is that I work in the funeral trade, and my midnight blue coat is just about kaput...I would like to replace it with a true black coat for cemetery and parking lot duty.

I'll report as things progress...

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've had tremendous luck finding things at goodwill. Trenchcoats and over coats especially so. Seems people buy them and then don't like to wear them and then give them away. We've got 4 Goodwills and 3 St. Vinnies in my area, being a regular seems to be the key. Stuff comes in and goes out fast. It's just dumb luck to be there at the right time. I just posted about my $4.00 G-1 jacket I scored. I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

fedoralover

davestlouis

Practically Family
I might have had some success on craigslist, of all places...if it fits, I'll be in high cotton...dark bluish black wool topcoat, $20. Waiting for a response from the seller.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Keep searching the thrift stores and be patient. At some point the right coat will be there. Unlike buying something on the net you can make sure it meets all your expectations. Good luck.

davestlouis

Practically Family
OK, I had some success...bought an Austrian Loden overcoat in a charcoal gray/anthracite color, wool and cashmere blend, green lining, top half of the lining has a paisley print, then a 1 inch wide green horizontal strip, then the rest of the lining is sort of apple green. It has the traditional box pleat set up high near the shoulder blades, but this particular one has the pleat covered...there's a 2nd layer of cloth between the sleeves that covers the pleat, almost like a cape of sorts...tough to describe, I'll take a pic later. The label says "Gretscher Loden", euro size 56. The sleeves are a little long, otherwise the fit over a suit coat is great. This was a craigslist purchase, traded 10 old Disney VHS tapes for it...I think I did OK.

EDIT...the cape on the back is similar to what one would find on the back and shoulders of a duster coat, just sewn in between the arm holes, and not removable, and does not extend over the top and sides of the shoulders.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Marc, I saw that thread as part of my investigation pertaining to this coat and fabric. This whole process made me think about a Loden green wool sport coat I was lusting after in the late 80s...I think it was at Abercrombie when they were a relatively conservative store...just couldn't pull the trigger and buy it, for fear that I'd never wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925