Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My name is David and I have a huge head...

Canadave

One Too Many
OK, I'll try not to come off as an excited newby, but...I'm new and I'm excited!

I like hats. I have a big head. That's a problem.

Now, by looking at me, you wouldn't immediately say to yourself, "Gaaaa, look at his heed. It's huge!" But, sadly, it is. (I'll post an avatar after my first post...I think them's the rules.)

Anyway, there it is. I have a motto. "If it fits, I'll buy it." I've had one wool felt hat custom made...a Pork Pie. (I hope that's OK...it's not a fedora, after all.) I do own a number of other hats, amazingly.

OK, it's time. Here goes. Ready? Sitting down?

7 7/8, long oval. There, I said it. If anyone knows of a source of stock hats of this size, I'd be interested to know. (BTW, XXL doesn't count...I've tried.)

Thanks for being there,

Cd

Ken

A-List Customer
I feel your pain! I am at the opposite end of the scale. 6 5/8 - cant accuse me of being big-headded (sorry, bad joke).

If anywhere you will find the advice you are looking for it is here. Welcome to the club!

Ken :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome aboard

There are places that do make large hats, and it just depends on your budget, what style you want. As for the vintage, good luck. Most was for the smaller folks.

I would try Art Fawcett, I think he has some big hat blocks, and maybe a big vintage. Good Luck.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
hatsdirect.com carries the federation and federation deluxe in sizes up to a metric 64 which should cover you, literally. log on to their site and send them an e-mail and ask.

fedoralover

Canadave

One Too Many
I'm starting to feel better. Hey, Michael and Ken, maybe we should start a "hard-to-fit-head" forum! :D

Thanks for the suggestion, Andykev, but they don't seem to have my size.

fedoralover, your suggestion is a good one. They indeed have large sizes...some that would even fit me. Too bad they're half way around the world and I'm just hearing about them now. I was in Australia last summer! Ouch!

Anyway, thanks all,

Cd

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
many people on this forum have bought hats from hatsdirect, they are an excellent company to do business with. You can buy from them with confidence. It'll take a little over a week to get your order.

fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome Canadave!!!
I happen to have the ablity to make your hat if you want. I won't do it in wool though, thats where I draw the line. It sounds like you checked out my site but it doesn't make a big mention that I make custom hats and would love the challenge!! Email me for what you are looking for.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Welcome to the lounge, Canadave.

Canuck, perhaps? If so, you are in good company--there is at least one other here, Kilgour Trout, and myself. This is a place where those who fly the Red, White, and Red either agree with those who fly the Red, White, and Blue or they don't let something like that get in the way of a good friendship.

I can't comment on your big head--well I could, but I'm not prone to poking fun at those I just met :D j/k, of course. I'm a 7 3/8, pretty much average. But, have you looked into Optimo at all? I'm not sure if they can do sizes that big, but they do make a fine product and are worth looking at if you've got the coin.

Again, welcome.

Regards,
Craig Whitton
Guelph, ON.

Canadave

One Too Many
Hey, Art...thanks for the reply. I'll PM you regarding a custom hat. Great web site, btw!

Originally posted by farnham54
Welcome to the lounge, Canadave.

Canuck, perhaps?

Thanks farnham54...what gave it away??? :D Thanks for the "Optimo" heads up*...I checked out the web site, and requested more info.

Again, thanks for all the welcomes, group!

David

*Hey, "head's up"! I made a joke, and I just got it!

Michaelson

One Too Many
HatsDirect keeps your size in stock . They also tell me the largest head they have fit to date was a 29 incher, so you're a piker in their opinion, head size. (grins) Yes, Ron of HatsDirect does drop by now and again to read these posts, so he was aware of this one.....Regards. Michaelson

Canadave

One Too Many
Michael - checked out Miller Hats, thanks! Wow...8s and XXXLs...sweet!

Michaelson - 29" eh? Man, that's bigger than Oprah's! (Don't ask me how or why, but I was watching Oprah once when she said that her head was 26" around! This was years ago, but that's the kind of information that stays with a guy!) Did Ron at HatsDirect know that? :D

Keep it coming. This info is all great!

David

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Forget the temple

"The selection is not great, though there is the Stetson Temple, which goes up to 8 1/8."

In case you don't know, You really, REALLY, DON'T WANT to get a stetson temple. I've had one and others here have had them, they are not worth the money. No new stetson is worth the money they want. If you get one we will designate someone in your area to give you 50 lashes with a wind trolley.

fedoralover

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to the Lounge. I know that Optimo of Chicago makes hats up to 8 1/4. Outside of them, I'm not really sure where to send you other than HatsDirect in Australia. It may take some hunting, but I feel sure you'll find something.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Peters Brothers can make a hat that big. I know they have made one at least that big and possibly even bigger.

hatlady

New in Town
big head

Hi Dave, if its the grand headed dave I just made a hat for, as always I am your big hat making guardian angel. Be patient grasshopper and good things will come your way. Still in negotiation with the big factory, and will let you know.

Toronto Karyn

Canadave

One Too Many
Zohar and BD - thanks for the "heads up"! Others have mentioned these options, and it's good to get some confirmation. I'm definitely looking into it.

fedoralover - thanks for the friendly warning!

Karyn - When I saw "hatlady" as our newest member, I wondered! I'm glad you told me about this forum, and equally glad you joined. I'm hoping you can straighten these guys out ;)...I've yet to see a woman member!*

Loving my (your) hat,

David

*But then, I'm the 2nd newest member!

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard!

Just wanted to say welcome aboard to Canadave and Hatlady :D. Hatlady...(From a certain store on Queen's Street perhaps?)Its nice to see you followed up on joining, there is alot of great discussion that takes place here. You'll find a comradery that is unique and second to none on other forums. We are far more friends than just anonymous names. Everyone is valued and appreciated for what they have to offer. Canadave..its great to know there's another hat enthusuiast in Toronto and perhaps on my next trip you could join some of us as we get together to discuss hats, Indygear and vintage stuff. You'd be welcome.
I'd just like to say to folks that Karyn (if I've got the right hatlady and I think I do), is a person of character and has a lot to offer. That's the opinion of this Old Soul anyway....:)

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout
aka Rob Kilgour

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran