Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Negative Experience with The Hat Company - UPDATE

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
[UPDATE - The Hat Company issued a 13 GBP refund this morning. That is all I asked for originally and still the only amount I was asking for via the PayPal dispute process. Consequently, I am closing the PayPal dispute with The Hat Company and now consider the matter at an end.]

I thought it would be helpful to relate my recent experience ordering a Christy Adventurer from The Hat Company.

I wanted a navy hat with a tall, straight crown and widish brim for just a little north of $100.

My first thought was an Akubra via Hats Direct but they only offer the Stylemaster in navy by special order and their navy is essentially black.

My next choice was a Christy Adventurer. I sent some inquiries about color, crown height, sizing, etc to Hornet Hats and The Hat Company. Having read here about the very blatant ribbon stitching on some Christys, I even asked about the possibility of having the stitching re-done before it was shipped. No one offered that service.

Since The Hat Company responded both quickly and completely to all my emailed questions, I opted to place my order with them. Among my specific requests, I asked for the hat to be delivered with an open crown.

I placed my order on January 15 and the hat arrived two days ago, so just about 3 1/2 weeks from start to finish. When I opened the box, I found that the hat had been shaped into a deep center crease with pronounced front dents. That was annoying but I was able to work it back out to an open crown with some effort. What really shocked me was the condition of the hat ribbon. There are fourteen tack stitches on the hat ribbon AND ALL FOURTEEN ARE LOOSE AND/OR HAVE THREADS HANGING OFF THEM. This is not an issue of aesthetics. This is obviously defective work, pure and simple. For good measure they threw in some loose threads and stitching on the sweatband too. Here are some photos to illustrate:

ChristyAdventurer005.jpg

ChristyAdventurer006.jpg

ChristyAdventurer007.jpg

ChristyAdventurer008.jpg

ChristyAdventurer009.jpg

ChristyAdventurer013.jpg

Now contrast that with the stitch work on the new ribbon Vince Corvelli recently put on my Akubra Squatter:

Squatter001.jpg

Squatter001-1.jpg

Assuming (now I not sure why) that the hat had been shipped directly from the factory, I was pissed at Christy. Not only had the person who stitched the ribbon done an obviously miserable job but at least one other person (whoever creased it into a center dent) had handled the hat and STILL they shipped it off.

I immediately sent an email to The Hat Company to inform them of the creased crown as a minor issue but the defective ribbon work as a major one. I stated my disbelief that anyone at Christy would allow the hat to leave their factory in that blatantly substandard condition. To cover my additional cost of having the ribbon stitching re-done locally, I requested that The Hat Company credit me back 13 GBP (~$20). I closed by stating that I was happy with their level of service and prompt email correspondence to date but that I was frustrated about having to have a new hat repaired before it had even been worn.

I did not receive a response until today. It was from The Hat Company's proprietor, Andy. Imagine my surprise when I read that the hat had not been mailed directly from the factory. It went to The Hat Company first. Andy had inspected the hat and then shipped it to me. In fact, it was Andy who creased it.

Why did he do that, despite my clear instructions to have it sent with an open crown? Because "it’s how I like to see them sorry I just can’t help myself (I know it was not how you requested it but as you’ve found out it’s easily pushed out." [Translation: Despite you paying for my product, I don't care about your needs. I do what I want. Deal with it.]

Why did he send the hat after seeing the clearly defective ribbon stitching?
"We sell very many Christy hats on a daily basis and have done for a lot of years I do not see the stitching as a problem and neither have our customers up until now. I will pass your comments and images on to Christy’s and forward on to you any reply." [Translation: There is no issue because I don't care and no one else has complained. What's your problem? I take no responsibility and pass the buck on to Christy.]

What about my request for a partial credit to pay for the ribbon repair?
"At the end of the day you have been supplied with a very fine product at an extremely competitive price" [Translation: Stop whining you ungrateful snot and be appreciative of our largesse. There will be no refunds.]

I fired back with a civil but frosty email decrying Andy's lack of professional ethics and integrity along with notice of a pending PayPal dispute and a detailed thread here on TFL describing my experience.

The irony (if that's the appropriate word) is that the Adventurer (shoddy ribbon work in my case notwithstanding) is a pretty nice hat for those looking for a tall & straight crowned, relatively inexpensive fur felt fedora in a range of standard colors that their nearest competitor, Akubra, does not offer even with a special order. I got a number of felt swatches (Red Wine is a winner!) along with my order and I will certainly be ordering more Adventurers in the future. Had The Hat Company simply stated that they screwed up, taken responsibility, and made some sort of effort to make amends, I would be ordering my hats from them.

Now, I would sooner go hatless than send them anymore of my money.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to hear about your bad experience...the under shot looks pretty shoddy as well...terrible that there is no recourse...but the internet is powerful...will get back to them some way...

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
I didn't want it.

cybergentleman said:
adventurer should come with christys liner- where is it?

based on your photos it appears that the hat is lacking that.

When I heard that they were glued in, I ordered it without one. I am not fond of liners in any event.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
UPDATE

The Hat Company issued a 13 GBP refund this morning. That is all I asked for originally and still the only amount I was asking for via the PayPal dispute process. Consequently, I am closing the PayPal dispute with The Hat Company and now consider the matter at an end.

frussell

One Too Many
Christy's quality, vendors

I'm still stinging a little from my recent Christy's Adventurer transaction with Hornet Hats, which didn't go much better than the one with The Hat Company in this original post. They are a bit more polite, but I basically got the same "we will relay your comments to Christy's" type message about my complaints. I got the distinct impression that my business/time/inconvenience meant very little to them. The shame of it is, I really, really liked the felt on that Adventurer. I was willing to overlook the crummy ribbon work, the horrible communication and long wait time, and even the fact that the colors represented on their site did not resemble the color I received, all because the soft and pliable felt on that hat was so great. What I could not overlook was the fact that their sizing is completely out of line. If we could just get someone to make better hats out of Christy's bodies, we might have a good source for future purchases. Sorry yours turned out poorly like mine did. Frank

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That ribbon work is just pathetic, as is the sweatband. To be quite honest the piece of grosgrain I stitched into a hat of mine as a replacement sweatband was sewn better, and I have very limited sewing skills. My Federation may not have the fine stitching some of the custom hatters here are able to do, but at least the obvious stitching it has is done properly.

The proprietor obviously going against what you requested baffles me. Does the man want to lose customers or something? If he wants to crease hats, he should do it on his own. Unless called for, I think a hat salesperson should do as they're told, not as they personally think looks best.

I'm glad to hear they eventually coughed up, and I hope you manage to improve your hat so it ends up being worthy of being worn.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
NukeMeSlowly,

I, too, was interested in a Christys'--in my case a fur felt foldaway--but based on the experiences that Frank and others here had with them, I passed, as their quality is spotty at best. It USED TO BE a fine producer of hats, but it appears to now be riding on a long-gone reputation.

Loungers had trouble with Hornet Hats, and now you describe your travails with The Hat Co.--outrageous--but at least PayPal's dispute resolution process got your 13 GBP refunded, which Andy initially refused. Perhaps he figured the 13 was a wash, as he provided the bash for free!

In my experience, the customer service is outstanding at HatsDirect, Everything Australian, and David Morgan, but, of course, none of them offer a true navy fedora.

Are you going to have the stitching on the hat band and sweat re-sewn or just live with it as is?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I think in the end they did a reasonable job of "meeting in the middle" for your completely unsatisfactory purchasing experience. I would have been livid over the "free bash" and the response to your complaint about it.

I also agree on the hat liners. I suppose they could make sense if you put Product of some kind in hair and didn't want it oozing through the top of the hat eventually but what an uncomfortable thing to have sitting on your head all day.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
NukeMeSlowly,

I, too, was interested in a Christys'--in my case a fur felt foldaway--but based on the experiences that Frank and others here had with them, I passed, as their quality is spotty at best. It USED TO BE a fine producer of hats, but it appears to now be riding on a long-gone reputation.

Loungers had trouble with Hornet Hats, and now you describe your travails with The Hat Co.--outrageous--but at least PayPal's dispute resolution process got your 13 GBP refunded, which Andy initially refused. Perhaps he figured the 13 was a wash, as he provided the bash for free!

In my experience, the customer service is outstanding at HatsDirect, Everything Australian, and David Morgan, but, of course, none of them offer a true navy fedora.

Are you going to have the stitching on the hat band and sweat re-sewn or just live with it as is?

I have to have it re-done. As it stands, it looks like someone took a stitch-ripper and starting tugging away but then changed their mind halfway through.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Is the problem with all brands of hats at these vendors, Hornet and Hat Company? If it's not a Christy's specific problem but a problem with the dealers, I can say I haven't had problems with either of the two vendors I've gotten hats from - thefedorastore.com and delmonicohatter.com, though I got other brands - whatever the indy one is, and Bailey's respectively. They both sell Christy's, though. I hope this helps someone.

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
As I mentioned above, crap ribbon stitching aside, this is a pretty nice hat for the $.

I have shaped it into a teardrop with a HIGH inner teardrop (maybe too high, not sure yet) and it shaped pretty easily with some steam and despite my general fumble fingers level of dexterity.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a true navy old school fedora. I will add to the chorus that these hats do run small so go a size up. I am a 61 (LO), got this in a 62 and it is just a wee bit large BUT NOT big enough to warrant foam inserts.

But before you order one, I would suggest that you poach my photos from this thread and send them to your prospective vendor (e.g. Hornet Hats) and ask them if this problem stitching is typical of their products. If after they review the photos they respond with "what problem stitching?" - find another vendor. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner