Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new 1947 French army greatcoat

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Hello Ukali!
Might I ask what in what size you bought this overcoat? I am a size 38 chest and I am wondering whether to get a size s or m.. I would prefer a tight fit, I don't like overcoats to be sack-like.
I really need a decent overcoat on days like today in Aberdeen..rain and wind all day long..
Does anybody else maybe own a similar overcoat and could tell me something about the fit? Thanks in advance for any help:)

sunflo9968

New in Town
I bought that coat from the sportsmansguide a couple of years ago!!
The coat had a postcard in it written in French! If i can dig it up i'll post it.
The coat is heavy but warm as hell.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Hi there! I finally got my greatcoat as well..Unfortunately I had some hassle with my order..by the time I ordered the coat, the UK had the most snow for years, but now it is way to warm for such coat:eusa_doh: Well, we'll see what march brings..and there will be another winter most certainly:D

The coat is really heavy and warm! The lining on mine is a little different to Ukali's one, it is more of a greenish cotton. There is also a tag inside which reads: MA. GE. CO. 1969. Also my buttons are plain..no anchors for me..

CIMG5241.jpg

CIMG5253.jpg

Thanks Ukali for the help via PM:)

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Luke 42 said:
Hi there! I finally got my greatcoat as well..Unfortunately I had some hassle with my order..by the time I ordered the coat, the UK had the most snow for years, but now it is way to warm for such coat:eusa_doh: Well, we'll see what march brings..and there will be another winter most certainly:D

The coat is really heavy and warm! The lining on mine is a little different to Ukali's one, it is more of a greenish cotton. There is also a tag inside which reads: MA. GE. CO. 1969. Also my buttons are plain..no anchors for me..

Hey Luke that coat is looking real nice. Could you let us know what size you went for S. M L? I'm size 42 but do they come up big..?
Thanks.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Hey! I bought a size S, I'm a size 36-38. It fits very well in the waist with the belt in the back done completely, it would be very roomy without the belt. The shoulders are a tad wide for me (but I am quite slim in general), the sleeves are just long enough, they shouldn't be shorter for me. Overall, it fits quite nicely and is a bit on the roomy side. I'm happy I did not take a size M.

P.S. They have a table with how their sizes are somewhere on their website, that might help:)

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Luke 42 said:
Hey! I bought a size S, I'm a size 36-38. It fits very well in the waist with the belt in the back done completely, it would be very roomy without the belt. The shoulders are a tad wide for me (but I am quite slim in general), the sleeves are just long enough, they shouldn't be shorter for me. Overall, it fits quite nicely and is a bit on the roomy side. I'm happy I did not take a size M.

P.S. They have a table with how their sizes are somewhere on their website, that might help:)

Thanks a lot :)

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
A Great Coat.

This is my first post on this site, so bear with me please.

Yesterday I took receipt of a brand new, made in Germany from original patterns, M36, WW2 German greatcoat. I will post some pictures eventually, but, the wifely woman is out and I don't know how to do it, well that's just me all over...
For measurement, I took a tape around the chest which was 42", I ordered a 44" and it fits like a glove. A grey/green, very long woolen overcoat, with a dark green collar which clips up to cover the entire chest area if required.
I particularly wanted this coat and scoured the world for one, the simple reason was, that a few years ago I purchased a Dark Green fedora, I had nothing to go with it at all, but, who cares really, I felt good, now I feel brilliant...
Okay, some may turn their noses up at the coat, I do not subscribe to the German Military ideology :eek: , but, they made some great stuff, and this is just a coat that I like, where is the harm in that ????
I had a Civil Defence greatcoat years back, wore it to peices on the motorbikes, I still miss it, just like a good leather jacket really. I wore a leather flying helmet as well, this was before crash hats became compulsory, together with a pair of flying goggles, flying boots and gauntlets, I cut quite a dapper figure...Unfortunately, photography was not an item on the agenda, wish that it was...[huh]

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
The Great Coat...

I just found hidden belt loops in the rear quarters, this is something new, evidently, one can sling a belt around yourself inside the coat, exiting either side, to enable buckles and so on, to be on the outside, very clever, but, not for me...
I like the traditional coat....:D

Dated Guy said:
This is my first post on this site, so bear with me please.

Yesterday I took receipt of a brand new, made in Germany from original patterns, M36, WW2 German greatcoat. I will post some pictures eventually, but, the wifely woman is out and I don't know how to do it, well that's just me all over...
For measurement, I took a tape around the chest which was 42", I ordered a 44" and it fits like a glove. A grey/green, very long woolen overcoat, with a dark green collar which clips up to cover the entire chest area if required.
I particularly wanted this coat and scoured the world for one, the simple reason was, that a few years ago I purchased a Dark Green fedora, I had nothing to go with it at all, but, who cares really, I felt good, now I feel brilliant...
Okay, some may turn their noses up at the coat, I do not subscribe to the German Military ideology :eek: , but, they made some great stuff, and this is just a coat that I like, where is the harm in that ????
I had a Civil Defence greatcoat years back, wore it to peices on the motorbikes, I still miss it, just like a good leather jacket really. I wore a leather flying helmet as well, this was before crash hats became compulsory, together with a pair of flying goggles, flying boots and gauntlets, I cut quite a dapper figure...Unfortunately, photography was not an item on the agenda, wish that it was...[huh]

Who did you purchase the coat from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR