Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new 1947 French army greatcoat

ukali1066

Practically Family
Hi all,

I just bought this unissued wool M47 pattern French army greatcoat from an ebay seller, stored for many years and brand new, all it needed was a machine wash on a wool setting to get rid of the musty "army" aroma :)

The French military produced this greatcoat as an exact copy of the WW2 U.S. army pattern, mine has brass buttons with anchors on, so I'm presuming a Navy/Marine connection ?

I love it and it fits my slender chassis rather well...I couldn't take decent photos myself, but it's knee length.

VERY warm and perfect for winter.

1-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

4-5.jpg

3-3.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Looks real warm I bought the M-47 field jackets that Sportsman guide are selling. I bought 4 in XLG before they sold out ( 2 for 19.99 ) now trying to find the matching trousers. For some reason French Militaria is getting easy to find.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Many thanks guys..

They're well worth 20 pounds, you don't see this quality of construction and old fashioned cut much these days for that price.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Looks nice. Bet it's very heavy in weight, too. Back in them "hippie" days, I used to wear my father's Belgian army overcoat. This one had a very similar cut, rather less coarse fabric, with a belt, and -even though I'm 6ft- the coat went down to lower half calf... Come to think of it, during the late 1960's...what clothes we would wear! :eusa_doh: :eek: lol

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
These can be obtained for about 20GBP from a company in Bournemouth, by the way.

Do they sell online? I'm trying to pick up a few coats of this general type - I find that army surplus provides vintage style and quality of construction at bargain bin prices. With a change of buttons, too, there's no reason why it couldn't pass for a civilian garment. Not that there's anything wrong with the brass buttons as such -just that to my eye it has more of a vintage civilian look with them replaced.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

In my opinion, of all the items of military surplus, postwar greatcoats (of all nations and all arms of service) are the most freely available and are usually ridiculously cheap for what you get.

The provider to which Ukali kindly refers us, by the way, is near Inkberrow in Worcestershire, where the Archers is supposed to be set, if you're a vintage radio fan... It's well worth a visit, followed by tea at Tissanes in Broadway.

For a civilian/military 'cross over' style winter coat, don't forget the 'British Warm' coat, which has leather buttons and was in some ways the WW2 version of the trench coat. They were made well into the 1960s and are frequently found in charity shops.

Edward said:
Do they sell online? I'm trying to pick up a few coats of this general type - I find that army surplus provides vintage style and quality of construction at bargain bin prices. With a change of buttons, too, there's no reason why it couldn't pass for a civilian garment. Not that there's anything wrong with the brass buttons as such -just that to my eye it has more of a vintage civilian look with them replaced.

Edward

Bartender
ukali1066 said:
Here you go dude...like new condition, small, medium, large for 25 quid :)

Ah, these folks! I've bought from them before - theyd're good people to deal with. :) Thanks!

H.Johnson said:
Edward,

In my opinion, of all the items of military surplus, postwar greatcoats (of all nations and all arms of service) are the most freely available and are usually ridiculously cheap

I'm inclined to agree with you there! I'm certainly always keeping an eye on Charity shops for what turns up. Wasn't aware of the Archers connection there! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR