Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Aero Thunderbay

hipcheck

New in Town
photo1.jpg photo2.jpg photo3.jpg photo5.jpg

I just received my new Aero Thunderbay to wear for the winter. I wanted to get some opinions on the fit. I know the jacket is supposed to be short. The front of the jacket will show my belt I wear with my jeans below the jacket belt. The bottom seems to be loose. I would have too have the jacket belt on the last loop for it to be snug. It is a size 44. I have a Highway man in size 40 and Cafe Racer in size 44. I am 5'9" 190 lbs. Any input is appreciated.

It seems like ti will be warm though.

Thank you

Plumbline

One Too Many
Hmmm ... depends how you like jackets .....

If it's for on a bike ...

Fr me that would be a two or three inches too short, arms would be fine for the bike and the bottom looks like it would have to cinch in quite a bit to be neat.

If it's just for wearing out ...

Then it's prob the same re. length and the sleeves are about an inch too long. The issue with the bottom remains. I have to say I seldom have my jackets zipped up so the bottom wouldn't bother me too much but that is a short jacket.

Then again I do like mine a little on the large / loose side but that looks like a wide jacket on you ( I assume it's shearling lined) I think you might have been better off with a 42" and a couple of inches nipped in at the waist .... JUST MHO.

I have to say I love the colour and the Mouton collar .... very nice :)

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Which hide / color is that? I'm liking the dark brown and it's not super shiny.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Certainly should get some use in your current weather. It does look like it's a bit big on you to be honest. In the body and a bit too long on the arms, The length looks right to me.

It's what you think and how you like it that matters though. Nice though.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you might have been better off with a 42" and a couple of inches nipped in at the waist .... JUST MHO.

I'd tend to agree with PL. The sleeves might wrinkle up a bit, but overall it looks a little on the large side. I also suspect that if you were to go for a smaller size, the length wouldn't be quite the same problem - to me the Thunder Bay is similar to the Irvin in fit - as it would be proportionate to the rest of the jacket if you get my drift. Did you get it through Insurrection or direct from Aero? It's a lovely looking combo, btw.

wdw

One Too Many
Interesting. It's a great jacket and this is the first one I've seen on a human, other than the one I tried on. I'd say an inch or so longer would help, but given that you're a bit shorter than the standard 5' 10"-11", you would seem to have the designed length.

The belt would need a couple of extra holes, I think, but I would never have thought of giving my waist size for this jacket, but that would make sense thinking about it.

Given the hefty expense of this jacket, I'd want to make sure I was 100% happy before committing. Did you do it through Insurrection and their fit jacket?

sshack

A-List Customer
Looks a little too big. I'd go an inch longer and see if you can get the pit-to-pit an inch and half slimmer.

Hard to tell if your shoulders are fitting well since the leather is too stiff. But you could probably take it in at least half an inch?

hipcheck

New in Town
I agree with all the input. I purchased it through Insurrection as I bought 2 other Aeros from them. I really want to send this jacket back and get a a 42. I am not happy with it. Will they take it back. They based this size off my size 40 Highwayman and 44 cafe racer which both fit me well. Has anybody had any experience sending jackets back to Insurrection.

Thank you!

sshack

A-List Customer
I agree with all the input. I purchased it through Insurrection as I bought 2 other Aeros from them. I really want to send this jacket back and get a a 42. I am not happy with it. Will they take it back. They based this size off my size 40 Highwayman and 44 cafe racer which both fit me well. Has anybody had any experience sending jackets back to Insurrection.

Thank you!

Interesting... could you elaborate on how the size was so off? Didn't Insurrection send you a fit jacket? Did you give Insurrection the measurements you needed for shoulders, body length, or pit to pit?

I don't know about Insurrection, but Aero usually lets you return if the sizing is off.

hipcheck

New in Town
They said since I ordered a Highwayman and a Cafe Racer that they know the size I should get. They told me it is the same size & fit as a cafe racer which it is not. My cafe racer is nice and snug in size 44. This thing is very loose.

You wear a 40 in a Highwayman..but go up two sizes for a Aero Cafe Racer...? Unusual.
A 40 Hwymn fits me great with some added sleeve and body length...but a 44 CR would certainly be quite an oversized fit for me.
HD

thor

Call Me a Cab
Isn't the leather "shell" of the Thunder Bay slightly oversized to accommodate the thick sheepskin? Thought I read that on TFL somewhere.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
You wear a 40 in a Highwayman..but go up two sizes for a Aero Cafe Racer...? Unusual.
A 40 Hwymn fits me great with some added sleeve and body length...but a 44 CR would certainly be quite an oversized fit for me.
HD

HD--The Aero Highwayman jackets aren't sized the way they used to be under the old management...what you currently own would now be a 38 tag size.

Thank you!

hipcheck--Send the jacket back to us and we'll get you one size smaller with some added length...we suggest you add 1-1.5 inches in body lengh. The Thunder Bay jackets are coming through with fits that are larger due to the increased shell size to accommodate the shearling liners. It would seem that folks need to go one size smaller than their Cafe' Racer size and one size larger than their Highwayman size on the Thunder Bay...

hipcheck

New in Town
HD--The Aero Highwayman jackets aren't sized the way they used to be under the old management...what you currently own would now be a 38 tag size.

hipcheck--Send the jacket back to us and we'll get you one size smaller with some added length...we suggest you add 1-1.5 inches in body lengh. The Thunder Bay jackets are coming through with fits that are larger due to the increased shell size to accommodate the shearling liners. It would seem that folks need to go one size smaller than their Cafe' Racer size and one size larger than their Highwayman size on the Thunder Bay...

Carrie I really appreciate it. Your customer service and dealing with the issue is excellent. That is why I will be a loyal customer and alway will recommend you. Thank you. I will ship the jacket back. It is always a pleasure knowing your company fixes issues painlessly and expediently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot