Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Aero Thunderbay

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Isn't the leather "shell" of the Thunder Bay slightly oversized to accommodate the thick sheepskin? Thought I read that on TFL somewhere.

All the other Aero shearling lined jackets have a one size up shell to accommodate the lining. But Holly posted here that this is the only one which doesn't since it was designed as a shearling lined jacket. So it's a bit odd that they are all a coming up a little big...

hipcheck

New in Town
That is what I hear as well, that the thunderbay was designed with the shearing liner. Either way I am happy to get the proper one as soon as I can.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I reckon the Thunderbay is one of Aero's best looking jackets and they look bulletproof!

Good to hear you can rectify the sizing to get a better fit.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It appears that particular model is not very forgiving in terms of sizing and must fit perfectly or doesn't work at all.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe, but bad fit or no, it is a handsome design. One of Aero's best, to my eye.
I agree it is an extremely handsome design but think that the overall design, largely the shorter body length, dictates a very tight tolerance with fit.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
It looks short in front but maybe OK in back. For reference, what type of cut are the jeans, low, medium, regular?

hipcheck

New in Town
It looks short in front but maybe OK in back. For reference, what type of cut are the jeans, low, medium, regular?

Those were not the best jeans for the pics but they were regular fit. The only thing that stinks is that I now have to wait for the new jacket and it would of been good to have it for this cold weather here in NYC.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
HD--The Aero Highwayman jackets aren't sized the way they used to be under the old management...what you currently own would now be a 38 tag size.

Ah huh! So Aero have reduced the sizing of their labels. That's a key bit of information some of us have been mulling over for some time. Explains why there are people who wear their suit size in a Highwayman and others (recently) who wear one 2-3 sizes smaller than their suit size. Thanks.

hipcheck

New in Town
Where should sleeves end up for the right fit on a persons hand? Is it true these jackets typical shorten approx. half inch over time? I am deciding how much to shorten the sleeves on this jacket. I a not using this bike for riding.

Edward

Bartender
HD--The Aero Highwayman jackets aren't sized the way they used to be under the old management...what you currently own would now be a 38 tag size.

Ah huh! So Aero have reduced the sizing of their labels. That's a key bit of information some of us have been mulling over for some time. Explains why there are people who wear their suit size in a Highwayman and others (recently) who wear one 2-3 sizes smaller than their suit size. Thanks.

Unless I'm getting it all rear about face, it sounds like they've gone for a more "vintage" fit? I find in modern high street stuff I'm a 42 more often than not, but with vintage (and better-made modern stuff) I average a 44. I was a 42 in "old Aero", so presumably in "New (Older?) Aero" I'd be a 44...

The jacket looks good to my eye - gorgeous cut and finish to it. Nice to finally see one of these 'for real' rather than just the website shot. The length looks fine to me - like a bike jacket - though to clarify that, I hate, loathe and despise trousers with a waist lower than my navel, so. (I've all but given up entirely on buying trousers off the rack outside of Jermyn Street or various online retailers.) Looks loose-ish around the waist is it buckled in that photo at all? You said, I think, it was snug on the smallest hole? It doesn't look bad to my eye in these photos, but if it doesn't feel right to you, worth getting it changed. I was considering that would allow for layering, but if shearling under fqhh is as warm as I suspect, I can't imagine layering underneath would be exactly a regular requirement!

Still got one of these on my wants list for next Winter, though I'm currently about £700 (or £5 for a ski mask and a foolproof plan to knock over the local bank) shy of the asking price. One day...

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Glad to see Carrie has sorted this for you, but I'd like to add the Thunderbay and the Highwayman should usually be ordered in the same size... and we've never changed the size patterns, they are the same now as they have always been!

If anyone is unsure about which size they should be ordering, as always just drop us a line with your measurements and we can advise.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Where should sleeves end up for the right fit on a persons hand? Is it true these jackets typical shorten approx. half inch over time? I am deciding how much to shorten the sleeves on this jacket. I a not using this bike for riding.

Usually about or a little above the big first thumb joint. Then if it gets a little bit shorter it'll be right.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I think it all comes down to personal preference and maybe a bit to where you come from...

For some reason i feel like people in the US like having longer sleeves, most of the jackets i see posted by americans have had sleeves to long for my taste, ie first thumb knuckle and lower.
Most jackets posted by europeans have sleeves that reach the wrist bone or a bit lower, which is what i prefer!
There is nothing scientifically proven, i just noticed that.

Also, regarding sleeves shrinking as you wear the jacket, i have personally not experienced it.
But then, none of my sleeves were ever long enough to rest on my hands and be pushed up...

If this was my jacket, looking at your pictures i would go a size down, and have an inch less in the sleeves.
Be aware that if the shoulders are smaller the sleeve length will be shorter!

Personally this is the sleeve length i like, and i ride with that jacket, just wear gauntlet gloves!
Some people might find it short, i hate having to search for my hands in my sleeves!

DSC_3966_zpsacc2f8a6.jpg

Last edited:

hipcheck

New in Town
Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 11.18.30 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 11.20.08 AM.jpg
Glad to see Carrie has sorted this for you, but I'd like to add the Thunderbay and the Highwayman should usually be ordered in the same size... and we've never changed the size patterns, they are the same now as they have always been!

If anyone is unsure about which size they should be ordering, as always just drop us a line with your measurements and we can advise.

The saga continues LOL. I am so conflicted whether to order a 42 or 40 in the Thunderbay . The pics I attached are of my Highwayman in size 40. It fits me well except the sleeves are a tad long. If I order the Thunderbay in 40 will the shearling liner make it too snug? It is a winter jacket, I will not be riding and I am not much of a layer guy. I want to wear this with a button down shirt and t-shirt underneath. I do not want to to be too fitted but comfortable like my current highwayman. mama mia.

Thank you everyone so much for all the input. This forum has been invaluable for so many things. I apologize if I am over analyzing all this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24