Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new aero

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
I wore it a bit this weekend driving 260 miles with a/c and then around my place at night, it is becoming more flexible especially when warm with body heat. The jacket is fantastic and I am very happy with it, I would like to get the body a little more snug so I will try the HWT, was also thinking that I might just soak it the next time I have a long trip to do and then just ride the motorcycle while it dries, this way it will dry while formed to my body. Any thoughts on this idea?

just do what I did, drink 6 or 8 beers every day for 10 yrs and it wont be too big on you :cool:

ralfh

New in Town
Hi Dude 59, excellent taste! I know, because two years ago I had Aero make me a very similar jacket. Also no cargo pockets and with extensions in arms and boy. Mine is FQHH in cordovan with Lama liner.

To me the fit looks just right. Give it 10 years of usage and it might start feeling comfortable ;-)
Seriously: after one fall/winter with some walks in the rain, it will have molded to your body. The sleeves will also fit better over time, as the leather gets softer and your hands will push the cuffs slightly up. I had that effect on a Cheyenne. Important is, that the sleeves are not too short whenn you put your arms forward like in your case.

What are you going for anyway, conformity or character? What's valid for one guy might not be valid for you.

So, put your doubts to rest and start enjoying your purchase.

Dude59

New in Town
Thanks everyone, and Ralfh I will probably just take your advice, maybe a little play in the rain. Cordovan is the other color I was thinking of and some day maybe I will be able to purchase one. And thanks Fanch for the motivational comments, luckily I just started a new school and my job is finally turning interesting and enjoyable once again.

Dude59

New in Town
Also, everyone says that you need to work on the collar of the jacket, I agree that the standard collar is difficult on the neck in most positions. My question is how should I mold it, I know the HWT but if anyone could post some pics as to the shape that they find useful and good looking I would much appreciate it. I have been looking around on here but most people post pics of their brand new jacket prior to modifying the collar.

Dude59

New in Town
So, after wearing the jacket every night in the AC, on a few long drives, and on one 150 mile motorcycle trip the sleeves are definitely the perfect length, but I am still concerned about the body of the jacket. I can tighten the side straps all the way and still fit comfortably in the jacket but this causes a bell shape at the bottom of the jacket, also the chest is a bit large. Measuring around the waist of the jacket and my waist there is a 6 inch difference, the same with the rib cage area of the jacket and myself. What I don't understand is that I am 46 inches around my chest at my largest, and at Insurrection's advice I ordered a size 44 so I can't understand why I have that much extra fabric. I don't think that it will shrink that much if I shower and dry it. Any suggestions, I don't know if it is something that they could alter on the jacket, I am very happy with the jacket and my dealings with Insurrection in all other ways.

wdw

One Too Many
I'm no HB expert, but I thought the 50s HB was known to be big enough for getting another layer on underneath, whereas the 30s is more of a shirt-only jacket.

Maybe you'd be happier with the 30s, if it's not too late to change.

Insurrection's default seems to be a size down from your normal size to ensure a trimmer fit, so they've been consistent there.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Dude,
My advice would be to give it time before make any rash judgement. Not a lot of time like 6 months; just wait a few weeks. You might change your mind/perspective. I'm telling you this because I behave in the exact opposite of this advice.
I recently ordered a HWM that seemed to have gotten nice fit reviews here, but all it took was showing the jacket to this girl who remarked, "it looks big" for my self-doubting spiral to get out of control.
Then I started taking too many self-shot pics, and examining myself from various angles. From the side, it looked very big. One night I'd go to bed convinced I'd keep it; the next I told myself if I was stressing out this much should I send it back?
Simply put; I sent it back. And then missed it. So now I have it back in my possession. And most of my original doubts were put to rest.
I think the presence of a new jacket dampens ones ability to rationalize for a bit. Must be the horsehide.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Ah Nick123, the voice of sanity. Before I joined the FL, I hardly ever gave any thought as to how any jacket fit as long as it wasn't too tight. Dude, I think a bell shape at the bottom of the jacket will always occur with the waist straps cinched in at the waist, so you might want to let out the straps a bit, which is what I did with my Teamster that has a similar fit. I also suspect that the chest you perceive as a bit large probably has little basis in fact and that if you were to size down, you well might find significant binding. Conclusion: Ignore what everyone is telling you and simply enjoy your new jacket! :D

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Ordering an Aero sight unseen reminds me of when my kid was born. It's fashionable these days to have an elaborate birth plan where the parents specify exactly what is going to occur during birth.... are you gonna have a c-section? with drugs or without? Will it be a natural birth? At home? Underwater? Will there be chanting hippies? Or a make up artist to ensure the new mom looks her best? How are you getting to the hospital? Or the birth center? Whose taking care of social media updates?

You get the idea.

Thing is..... nobody is in control of the birth process. Nobody. Things can develop real fast. And the first lesson to learn is exactly that: You're not in charge of this ride, be flexible or you're gonna be really, heavily disappointed. Me and the missus went in kind of with a 'Whatever happens, happens' outlook and we came out fine. Certain others we know had these elaborate plans and when the plan couldn't be followed they were left feeling quite hollow.... despite having a beautiful healthy baby to show for it!

I think that jacket buyers would do well to build in similar flexibility to their expectations. Sometimes, that jacket is going to be an inch longer than you wanted. Does it mean it absolutely has to go back? Not necessarily. Sometimes that jacket you thought would be for winter ends up being tight and it won't fit a sweater underneath. Does it have to go back? Not really. Not if it's perfect in every other regard.Of course there are deal breaker type problems but for the most part I truly believe that getting that perfect jacket, the one that'll see you out of this life, is allowing the jacket to be what it is. I bought my HWM on ebay. There were two I could have bid on, one black and one brown.... both my chest size but the exact measurements were published in the listing and the brown was closer.... so that's what I got. That meant I also got a bi-swing and zip handwarmers. A brown drill lining instead of a tartan one. The jacket is perfect under a shetland but it's not for wearing with just a T shirt. Honestly, I wouldn't have chosen all that if it were getting made for me so these can be seen as imperfections. But getting my head around what the jacket actually IS as opposed to what my non existent unattainable perfect jacket looks like in my mind has made me love it all the more over the time we've had it. While I may acquire others over the years I will NEVER be getting rid it. In short it's about the journey, guys!

schitzo

Suspended
Dude,
My advice would be to give it time before make any rash judgement. Not a lot of time like 6 months; just wait a few weeks. You might change your mind/perspective. I'm telling you this because I behave in the exact opposite of this advice.
I recently ordered a HWM that seemed to have gotten nice fit reviews here, but all it took was showing the jacket to this girl who remarked, "it looks big" for my self-doubting spiral to get out of control.
Then I started taking too many self-shot pics, and examining myself from various angles. From the side, it looked very big. One night I'd go to bed convinced I'd keep it; the next I told myself if I was stressing out this much should I send it back?
Simply put; I sent it back. And then missed it. So now I have it back in my possession. And most of my original doubts were put to rest.
I think the presence of a new jacket dampens ones ability to rationalize for a bit. Must be the horsehide.

Girls tell me that all the time to which I reply that's because it is.

As for jackets what do any of them know about jackets!? Basically, they know if they like it or not and that's about the sum total. Asking advice from a girl about your aero is like asking Homer for help with your Phd.

Yours was a decent fit Nick, you need to chillax a piece

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany