Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Akubras

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi,
it's a really great hat.
I'm waiting for my Open Road won on e-bay...USA are too far from Sicily...i'm waiting since one and a half mounth...
When it arrive I would like to shape it like yours Akubra.
With compliments.
Riccardo.

Virgil Ante

New in Town
I ordered my Akubra from Australia

It is a Coolibah model, (well one of them is). I just looked on the internet. I had some concerns about the crocodile band posing a problem, but it "never came up"

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Virgil Ante said:
It is a Coolibah model, (well one of them is). I just looked on the internet. I had some concerns about the crocodile band posing a problem, but it "never came up"

Virgil Ante,
I notice that your avatar and quote are from one of my favorite actors, the great Charles Bronson. I believe the picture is from "Once Upon a Time in the West"? Welcome to the lounge! :cheers1:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Federation

Well, I looked at it and looked at it for days on end, and I finally broke down. I think I'm keeping the Federation. The worst that can happen is that my doubts about the color will give me an excuse to put the hat to the test against the elements. The gray one will have to wait. Maybe Christmas... ;)

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Any pics of your reg Fed?

Not-Bogart,

Glad you've made peace with your Fed! ;)

I'd love to see some of the photos you took to get a sense of the color. A slightly greenish tint may actually be cool.

I'd been toying with the idea of getting a Fed (particularly the regular, since it's cheaper), and understand why you'd get it if already getting another Akubra, but I think once I have the money I'd like to try a Camptown that Jersey Jones makes. Anyone have pics of a Camptown, one that's been shaped non-Indy style?

Simon

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
This is my Camptown with the crown slightly modified. Since this photo I have changed the back of the brim to a pencil curl.
PIC00004.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

Sorry about the mediocre photo; I'm still learning to use the digital camera.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Dave,

Thanks very much for the photo -- and nothing to be sorry for, I can see the hat perfectly. Boy, it looks like Ken (JerseyJones) does exemplary work! I'm getting an Adventurebilt made now, so it'll be a while before I can get another hat, but it would be great to have a fedora I can style myself. Don't know if I'd go with a brown (yours looks terrific) or the blue-gray Ken's introducing.

Akubras, Camptowns and Adventurebilts -- it's sure nice to have so many quality hats available at affordable prices!

Simon

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Bashed Fed

OK, I gave the crown a bit of shape and steamed the front of the brim into submission. I took some pictures, but the color is VERY different. The actual color is much darker and the pictures reveal none of the green or purple effects. The link will get you to the first pic, and there are seven. The last was taken in poorer lighting, but it still isn't accurate as far as color.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/michaelgarcia13/detail?.dir=/dffb&.dnm=2988.jpg&.src=ph

I have to say, now that I have these two straight high crowns, I prefer that style. And I love open crown.
:cool2:

Aaron Hats

Vendor
In the next week or two we'll be receiving the CEO (which may be renamed the East Coast) in black and the Stylemaster in Steel Grey. These two styles will only be available in the USA from Aaron Hats. We're also working on a special hat from Akubra. If we work out the deal we will again be the only seller of this hat in the USA. If this happens we'll be making a big announcement.

I'm always open to suggestions for other styles folks would like us to carry.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
But Aaron, what about us big-headed guys?

Well, maybe I didn't say that right?! But I don't see anything beyond 7 5/8 on your site. I need a 7 3/4, and I know Akubra makes them. Maybe you can help us out?

Thanks,
Paul

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Paul, What you see on our website is our starting inventory to "test the market". Let me know what style/color you are interested in and I'll let you know how fast I can get it.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is this right?

I just ran across a paragraph online describing the Akubra Campdraft, and it said that this was the former Stetson Open Road, made for over 30 years by Akubra for Stetson.

Can that be correct? If the modern Campdraft is not just shape-able as an Open Road, but actually IS the pre-cowboy hat Open Road, well, that'd be mighty innersting.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I think you are right

scotrace said:
I just ran across a paragraph online describing the Akubra Campdraft, and it said that this was the former Stetson Open Road, made for over 30 years by Akubra for Stetson.

Can that be correct? If the modern Campdraft is not just shape-able as an Open Road, but actually IS the pre-cowboy hat Open Road, well, that'd be mighty innersting.

It could be true. This is from Akubra own website.:)

Akubra Hats approaches the John B. Stetson Company in the USA with regard to producing Stetson hats under License in Australia. Following a visit by Stephen Keir II to the Stetson company, and a return visit by technical representatives from Stetson, a licensing agreement was signed in 1951.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Campdraft vs. O.R.

I'd like to get my hands on an old Open Road for comparison, but as the Campdraft owner here, I think the descriptions of the O.R. sound softer than the Campdraft. Aside from that, I can't much difference so far. I could compare the specs if anyone has the details on the Open Road brim and crown measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo