Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Goodwear No-Name 42-18246-p

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
John says it's superb and doesn't understand why more customers don't order it. (Maybe more pictures on his site would help.)
Perhaps just too many good alternatives?
You could pick a whole host of John's patterns, based on preference and body shape, and aside from half a dozen really popular patterns (Dubows, Monarch, Roughwears,etc.) there are probably a number of others, which are perfectly fine, that don't get as much exposure - Spiewak (Chapman), Poughkeepsie, United Sheeplined, anybody?).

bretron

Call Me a Cab
^^ Too true

I personally love my Fried Ostermann "No Name" 23383- think there's only about three or so of them out there. That said my next one is the ubiquitous Dubow 27798 (there's a reason it's so popular IMO)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
^^ Too true

I personally love my Fried Ostermann "No Name" 23383- think there's only about three or so of them out there. That said my next one is the ubiquitous Dubow 27798 (there's a reason it's so popular IMO)

That's another of those lurkers - I like the detailing on the Fried Ostermann, but still tend to gravitate towards my Perrys (I have a GW 23377 coming in a few days).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have recently acquired the russet Fried Ostermann that is featured in the photo section of John's website and it's a fantastic jacket. Here's the link to the pics:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/23383_No1_46/

It has features not found on other contracts and is very comfortable to wear. Although its a typical JC 46 it fits more like a Wartime 44. I would highly recommend it.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I have recently acquired the russet Fried Ostermann that is featured in the photo section of John's website and it's a fantastic jacket. Here's the link to the pics:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/23383_No1_46/

It has features not found on other contracts and is very comfortable to wear. Although its a typical JC 46 it fits more like a Wartime 44. I would highly recommend it.

And mine is the No 2, pictured here :)

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/23383_No2_46/

John just emailed me: jacket is on its way. That's the good news. Bad news is Vickie's out and he wasn't able to snap pictures. So it'll be up to me and my non-existent photography skills with a borrowed cell phone to take some. I'll do my best and try not to let you fellas down. John says it's superb and doesn't understand why more customers don't order it. (Maybe more pictures on his site would help.)
Simple, he needs more shills lolExciting. Can't wait to see this one Joel. Just take pics outside as indoors shots usually come out too dark with us amateurs!I can't understand why John doesn't sell more civi models. I was going A-2 all the way then I tried the Ventura. I needed a dressier jacket and man am I happy John sent me that to try. And Flint looks great in his as well. I hope he considers more patterns. I think they're nicer than the (few) samples of Himel I've seen. Ad that's saying something. No offense to Himel. They're obviously top-shelf. Maybe I'm biased.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

The Eagle has landed

The jacket came today and it exceeded my expectations. The fit is superb: broad in the shoulder and fitted in the waist almost more like a motorcycle jacket than an A-2. The sleeves are just right. When I put on the jacket, I knew right away it was made for me. The waistband is high so it doesn't blouse as much, which is good because I was always fidgeting with the knits to make it blouse right. It'll blouse in the back and the sides, but not the front. The collar is big and wide like a policeman's straight zip motorcycle jacket, and I'm leaving it unsnapped (the snaps are ring type and reassuringly loud when they snap shut). The collar was my only concern when I ordered the jacket, but it's very attractive and not too big at all. The leather is a beautiful mid-brown unlike the more reddish samples I had seen. It would make a great leather to combine with John's light russet brown in a civilian jacket as I was thinking about. The slider and pull are NOS WWII Talon on a reproduction nickle zipper with sunburst stopper. The jacket squeaks a lot and doing so as I type this message, and I like the sound. The smell is a nice leather smell. So not only is the jacket easy on the eyes, it's easy on the nose and the ears, too!

I am waiting to borrow a camera from a family member and it'll be another day or two before I can snap a few pictures, but rest assured pictures will be forthcoming. I think you guys will be impressed (with the jacket, not my photography skills).

All in all, I am very pleased and think this is probably my Holy Grail jacket, which is kinda sad because I enjoyed the chase. Guess I'll keep adding jackets anyway. It's too much fun to stop the search. As they say, it's the journey, not the destination.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations Joel. It is very nice athletic design. Originals in this contract are few and far between. I look forward to seeing your photos.

D

Deleted member 16736

Congratulations Joel. It is very nice athletic design. Originals in this contract are few and far between. I look forward to seeing your photos.

Thank you, Andrew. Very different fit and look from my old Dubow. More fitted, more athletic, more modern. Even though both were made around the same time, the Knopf looks like a civilian jacket of the 40s or 50s. Maybe it's the high waist band, I'm not sure. Whatever the case, I like it a lot. Does not look like a typical A-2 jacket at all. I'll try and sneak in a couple of wear pics of my torso.

D

Deleted member 16736

Sorry for the very long delay in getting pictures up. It took a lot of effort to coordinate with a family member since I don't own a camera or a camera phone. The jacket is everything you'd expect from Goodwear; unfortunately, after living with the jacket for a couple of weeks, I've concluded sadly that it's about .5" too short on the sleeves. I can't reach without the sleeves hiking up my arms. Too bad. I'm listing it in the classifieds. Here are the pictures:

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/laffs4sale/library/?sort=3&page=1

schitzo

Suspended
well, better late than never Joel. Thanks for thinking of us! It does look lovely

I'm sorry to hear those sleeves are too short - but if it's just .5 are you 100% certain you can't live with that? Obviously there are people who dig on short sleeves, Ken at aero being one of them, but if you aren't in that number then fair enough I can understand. Very sad

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Yup - a great shame. The A2 is the one jacket (because of the woollen cuffs) where sleeves can (for me) be a touch shorter. I prefer that to the opposite, where the cuffs disappear up the too long sleeves in "tunnel" fashion.

As Schitz says, it is very sad that what you thought to be your "holy grail" jacket has let you down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for the support, guys. No, even 1/2 an inch makes the jacket unwearable for me. The problem is, the A-2 design leaves no room for error unless it's generously sized. If it's a more trim cut, the sleeves had better be long. Anyway, I lowered the price to $800. If I can't sell it here by today, I'll send it back to GW for re-sale. Thanks again.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Oh no! This sucks. A guy waits 15mos and ends up with a jacket that doesn't fit? I am so sorry, Joel.

D

Deleted member 16736

Oh no! This sucks. A guy waits 15mos and ends up with a jacket that doesn't fit? I am so sorry, Joel.

Thanks. It's actually the second time this has happened to me. I have learned my lesson. No more waiting. If a jacket isn't going to fit, I want to find out right away.

Jacket is going back to GW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Joel, if you're just looking at .5" why not add slightly longer woollen knits?
An easy fix and relatively cheap.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wow... waiting all that time for a jacket then tossing it for less than an inch on either sleeve? Seems a bit harsh to moi but I'm not much of a stickler. I'm wearing a used GW A1 today, the sleeves are way short and the chest is a little tight but she's reet pettite and more than the sum of her parts. I say give her a month... see if'n she grows on you.

Worf

Thanks. It's actually the second time this has happened to me. I have learned my lesson. No more waiting. If a jacket isn't going to fit, I want to find out right away.Jacket is going back to GW.
Hmm. Maybe you're not giving the correct measurements? Plus the A-2 is a pretty forgiving design...and I can only recall one or two GW coming up with the wrong fit over the years. Something seems amiss here...and I agree with the others - 1/2” is well within a reasonable range for an A-2.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wow... waiting all that time for a jacket then tossing it for less than an inch on either sleeve? Seems a bit harsh to moi but I'm not much of a stickler. I'm wearing a used GW A1 today, the sleeves are way short and the chest is a little tight but she's reet pettite and more than the sum of her parts. I say give her a month... see if'n she grows on you.

Worf

Keep me in mind if you grow tired of that one... if you think I can squeeze into it that is.. Im a big fan of the A-1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn