Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Hat...

RBH

Bartender
schanop said:
Federation+Deluxe+dark+brown7.jpg
[/URL]

Thank, Chanop
Chanop, looks great with the lower bash, brim width fits you very well I think. Good job!

fatwoul

Practically Family
Schanop - With my incredibly limited credentials, I agree with these guys. You have a rounder face, and that seems to allow for a bigger brim.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My only advice is to take your time. I bashed my Fed Deluxe over several evenings while watching TV. I did it dry at first, and then used some cold water.

Oh, and fellow Fed owners, when you tried yours on for the first time unbashed to check the fit and saw yourself in the mirror, did you think "Hoss Cartwright" too? lol

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Oh, and fellow Fed owners, when you tried yours on for the first time unbashed to check the fit and saw yourself in the mirror, did you think "Hoss Cartwright" too? lol

Or Charlie Chan, or hasidic rabbi, depending on facial hair and colour of the hat? :D

(I s'pose you heard my wife's gulp over the ocean, before I told her this isn't necessarily the final shape….)

fatwoul

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
My only advice is to take your time. I bashed my Fed Deluxe over several evenings while watching TV. I did it dry at first, and then used some cold water.

Yes, that's good advice - Thanks Tony. My first bash really wasn't making me happy, so I did it again, and now I'm much happier. It's not all that different, to be honest, but I prefer the pinches, and the crown humps aren't so...cartoonish? Anyway, I'm pretty happy now, just kinda working it in my hands now and then, to make the shapes look more natural. The brim needs rolling in my hands a little here and there, too.

I'm only using water to lock in the shapes, or in places where the felt really needs that little extra convincing. I use a tiny mister bottle I normally use for macro photography (to spray leaves and make them look all wet and pretty). It's ideal, because it lets me control how much water goes on the hat.

Tony in Tarzana said:
...Oh, and fellow Fed owners, when you tried yours on for the first time unbashed to check the fit and saw yourself in the mirror, did you think "Hoss Cartwright" too? lol

I don't know who that is, but I did think I looked like a Mennonite or something. I went to see my sister, and I walked in wearing my unbashed hat, and found her making a simple-looking dress out of an old sheet. We both looked very plain. The elders would have been so proud.

halpap

New in Town
bash

Very nicely bashed. You might want to experiment with pinches that go a bit deeper and see how it looks.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I may try a deeper pinch at the front. Top crease I'm happy with. Although I'd be grateful if anybody could give me advice about how I remove marks left by previous creases.

My first bash involved a tight centre crease along the crown, and the new bash has a much softer dent in the top. However, the original crease has left a mark, and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Anybody got any suggestions how I might deal with it? A brush? sandpaper? big belt sander?

Oh, and thanks hal for your reassurance about the brim.

deanglen

Nice re-bash and the brim is fine. The ghost crease can be cast out by steam application, then brushing, (or a hat sponge, something I don't own and have never used.) Steam and brushing is all I've ever tried. Seems to work well with patience.

dean

RBH

Bartender
I think it looks great now! :eusa_clap
Most people now days are used to such low crowns and narrow brims that a hat like the Federation kind of scares them.
I have been wearing my Fed for days, dont know if I can go back to the tiny hats anymore.

fatwoul

Practically Family
surely said:
looks great:eusa_clap

It surely does. Thanks. To be sure. ;)

deanglen said:
Nice re-bash and the brim is fine. The ghost crease can be cast out by steam application, then brushing, (or a hat sponge, something I don't own and have never used.) Steam and brushing is all I've ever tried. Seems to work well with patience.

Thanks dean. I'll need to be REALLY careful with steam, as I promised myself not to use it on this hat, because I know it can taper the crown fast. I might try a little mist from my little bottle first, and resort to steam later if I have to.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to where's good to get a hat sponge?

RBH said:
I think it looks great now! :eusa_clap
Most people now days are used to such low crowns and narrow brims that a hat like the Federation kind of scares them...

I think you've hit the nail on the...oh nevermind. You know what I mean.

You're right. I think it's just what people - including me - are used to. Right now, I still double-take when I see myself in a mirror, and wonder if the crown is too high, but I know that after another few days or wearing it, that will pass. Afterall, it's only me who needs to like how it looks. If it scares other people, well, thats too bad. :D

RBH said:
I have been wearing my Fed for days, dont know if I can go back to the tiny hats anymore.

I hear you. I'm waiting to receive a hat stretcher, which was supposed to be to stretch our my other fedora so it will fit again, but I think when I put that one on again now, it will just feel too short. lol

deanglen

fatwoul said:
It surely does. Thanks. To be sure. ;)

Thanks dean. I'll need to be REALLY careful with steam, as I promised myself not to use it on this hat, because I know it can taper the crown fast. I might try a little mist from my little bottle first, and resort to steam later if I have to.

Fatwoul, I should have indicated that applying steam to the hat should be done sparingly, if you are working parts of it, not just re-bashing. You're wise to be careful with it. Spot steam it, if you can.

dean

fatwoul

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Spot steam it, if you can.

How does one spot steam? I'm thinking I could do that by placing an inverted funnel over a pot of boiling water, so the steam only leaves by the open tube of the funnel? Or is there a specific way to do it?

Thanks dean

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
How does one spot steam? I'm thinking I could do that by placing an inverted funnel over a pot of boiling water, so the steam only leaves by the open tube of the funnel? Or is there a specific way to do it?

Thanks dean
Hey Fats, I think that would work fine.
I think what Dean was talking about was using a tea kettle.
Dean can chime back in on that.

I

Ian Dundrillon

fatwoul's latest rebash

I really like your latest effort. I followed a similar path to the same result with my twenty-year old Borsalino Roma. I like the simplicity of the center bash combined with the front pinch.

schanop

New in Town
That new bash looks very interesting, fatwoul. I'll keep the idea in my mind if I happen to have another Fed to try on.

deanglen

RBH said:
Hey Fats, I think that would work fine.
I think what Dean was talking about was using a tea kettle.
Dean can chime back in on that.

Exactly. A kettle with a good narrow spout. There is a handle, there should be a spout. heat up the water and the steam comes out! There is a device, called, logically, a steamer, that directs the steam pretty well, and gets a steam hotter than a tea kettle. Ideaguy told me about it, and he has one. I'm not sure what they look like. I should also have mentioned that when I was trying to remove the ghost crease, pressing it with my fingers while soft from a shot of steam, and then brushing worked best for me. You try to flatten it out, pressing it from inside and out at the same time. Takes patience and persistence.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis