Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new toy, oh boy.....

Check out my new toy...
Stecher1.jpg

Strecher3.jpg

Strecher4.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hummmmm, maybe my 7 3/8 Wide Oval Stratton Campaign hat can come over to play long enough to become a 7 3/8 almost long oval. If I can't get it traded at Trapper's Rendezvous I'll PM you about it. It cost me a whole $25.00 at Levine's so if it stretches in half, it's not THAT big a deal.

later

I think I can re-block with this too...?? So if I get hats with big brims near my size; my hopes are I can re-block; I will lose brim width of course, but if I can get hats to finish up with 2 1/4 " + in brim width; I'll be very happy.

Just need a flange I guess to shape the brims after the re-block; and find a source to buy a quality sweat band.

I think theres a limit as to how far a hat will stretch, even wet, but that looks like a great find! Id love to have one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The shape and the gaps at the sides make it unsuitable for blocking(gaps would be very large with your head size). Tends to grab the leather at the sharp edge and put stretch in that side portion so care is needed. Heat would also ruin the sweatband and press in an undesirable shape for the crown. Best use is to air dry your hat after rain or a gentle stretch(watch your enhanced leverage).Dome curvature is much rounder at the top than any hat blocks. Remember closed dimension is for a hat of about size 6.

Last edited:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
These stretchers havent been made for a long time. But there is a limit to how far a hat can be stretched. I'd say no more than a size or two at most. After that , you run the risk of tearing the stitches that keep the leather sweatband in the hat.
I wonder what it would cost to make a stretcher today?

ideaguy

One Too Many
new toy

These stretchers havent been made for a long time. But there is a limit to how far a hat can be stretched. I'd say no more than a size or two at most. After that , you run the risk of tearing the stitches that keep the leather sweatband in the hat.
I wonder what it would cost to make a stretcher today?

I've had one for a few years, and keep trying to stretch hats too small
for me regardless of the folly of the infernal machine! the hat's either the
right size or not; I've got brims that take beautiful sculptural shapes-none of
which approximates the original design. Feh!!! Now I buy hats that fit me, and use the stretcher for an occaisional tug at a vintage fedora that's shrunk.
good luck, and listen to these guys. wish I had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80