Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My original B3 and repro 2 in 1

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello Kowalski,
Thanks for the kind comments about my B-3 - and my word, that's an old thread of mine you found! My B-3 jacket is still going strong too (as is the old rescue dog there on the photo!) and I haven't changed the patches as I love them.
I have, however, changed the patches on my ANJ-3 - I am now on my third leather patch on one side and second on the other arm (the Texas lone-star state flag)! I cannot afford new jackets these days, but a new patch or sweater here or there I can manage ...
I was recently in the UK in October for just one week and I sent my ANJ-3 up to Simmons-Bilt for Kelly to sew on the latest AAF patch that was made for me by Roberto Bandecca in Italy and she did a perfect job - and it was there and back in 4 days flat and didn't cost much at all.
Roberto made the first one and I liked it a lot but felt it was too small. So he made me a bigger one and I had that one on instead for a long while ... but then I painted Lucky Dog on the back and, with the art on the front panel too, the colours suddenly looked wrong and didn't work well, so I had him make me a bigger version of the first patch ... as you can see here and the top patch is sewn on:

patches.jpg

... and finally I am happy! :) So you see, as something much nicer comes along, you can always upgrade later on!
I am glad that you are happy too with your B-3 - and it's a rather special one you have made there! The thicker sheepskin will serve you well in your part of the world over many, many winters. It's like I always say: a good B-3 is the next best thing to still being in a warm bed on a cold morning!
Enjoy looking cool and staying warm! :cool:

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Wow!! nice !
I saw in the auction 15 th , only original Even I participated in the auction but it did not, unfortunately, no win
Here in my country today is minus 11 degre hehe , it is perfect weather from B3
Very nice to read your posts
BEST REGARDS
PS
If the once You happen in my country let me know food and roof over the head is much and my wife cooks well;)

kowalski

Practically Family
Very Beautiful Jacket.. I would love to have one like this one..
Hi

You have to find experienced, professional sadler and tanner and original B3 and
have a lot of time and patience;)
But you can never be sure of the final result, it is risky but worth it pays to

kowalski

Practically Family
Darkened name tag tone in down. I think it is much better to now ( last picture is without the flash)
God idea mr Stand By . Remained only issue it the inscription in the blank field
Best regards

Attachments

• P1100401.JPG
    P1100401.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 648
  • P1100402.JPG
    P1100402.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 636
  • P1100404.JPG
    P1100404.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 650
  • P1100406.JPG
    P1100406.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Reactions: MET

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow!! nice !
I saw in the auction 15 th , only original Even I participated in the auction but it did not, unfortunately, no win
Here in my country today is minus 11 degre hehe , it is perfect weather from B3
Very nice to read your posts
BEST REGARDS
PS
If the once You happen in my country let me know food and roof over the head is much and my wife cooks well;)

Hi Kowalski,
Great job on the aging process with tea! Much better!!
If you would like me to send you my spare XV leather patch to lay on your jacket to see how an incised, painted leather patch looks against the leather, send me a PM with your address and I happily can mail it over to you.
But be warned: a leather patch on a leather jacket looks absolutely killer and can incur some further expense! ;-) But oh, so well worth it!
I can also send you my spare Texas Lone Star State flag patch that was on my ANJ-3 (see below) to see how you like that too. It was made first (like the smaller XII patch, sized as a pair) and is a copy of an original but I wasn't so sure about the unfinished border at the time, so I had Aero make a custom border for it (in goatskin leather) and they made a super-neat job of it and it went on - but I had a larger one made, so that is on there today and I'm much happier with it. And I really like the unfinished border today too. But I have the old one if you'd like to try it and see what you think.
I can also send you a spare leather nametag that I had made by Split-S Production in the USA and it is a nice, richly coloured leather (not as thick as those supplied by ELC or Aero) and has black lettering inside the stamped letters and may look great on your jacket - not that you would use it of course as it has my name on it, but just to see if you would like one making for yourself in that style and colour with the black lettering.

As for what name to put on there ...? You could put your name on it. It's your jacket.
Or the name of a WWII pilot/air crew - to honour them in a unique way.
Or even the name of a loved one, as a way to remember them.
Lots of options!

And thank you for the kind offer of dinner! That's very nice indeed. Thanks! And noted.
And I wore my B-3 for the first time this morning in the -21C windchill. With my C-3 beneath it, it laughed at the cold.
Cheers!

Texas1.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
Thank you for the offer of your patches, it's nice of you, but I already have too many patronize one week ago I bought three pieces of Eastman ( wing pilot , gunner wing and name tag ) and I already have the idea where they sew.
Your badges will have to remain in the cold Canada unfortunately
The name of a WWII pilot / air crew B24 ,,Dinah Might" - to honor them in a unique way. it very good idea !and so too was my initial plan \concept
Best regards

Stand By

One Too Many
Thank you for the offer of your patches, it's nice of you, but I already have too many patronize one week ago I bought three pieces of Eastman ( wing pilot , gunner wing and name tag ) and I already have the idea where they sew.
Your badges will have to remain in the cold Canada unfortunately
The name of a WWII pilot / air crew B24 ,,Dinah Might" - to honor them in a unique way. it very good idea !and so too was my initial plan \concept
Best regards

Oh dear. You mean I'll have to get a new A2 one day to put the smaller XII patch on? (as I still think it's spot-on!)
Aww, alright then. If I must ...! :)

I think honouring the crew of Dinah Might would be a great idea with the nametag.
I look forward to seeing it when it's all done!
And you are most welcome ...
Stay warm!

kowalski

Practically Family
after suggestions Stand By I replaced the WW2 patches for felt /wool , now it looks like this is much better

Attachments

• P1120014.JPG
    P1120014.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 595
  • P1120016.JPG
    P1120016.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 599
  • P1120017.JPG
    P1120017.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 597
  • P1120018.JPG
    P1120018.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 608
  • P1120020.JPG
    P1120020.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 613
  • P1120021.JPG
    P1120021.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 607
  • P1120022.JPG
    P1120022.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 621
  • P1120026.JPG
    P1120026.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 633
  • P1120027.JPG
    P1120027.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 622
  • P1120028.JPG
    P1120028.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Very nice sewing work there and the patches look much better, I think! You chose very nicely! The leather borders finish them nicely too!
Well done. That jacket really deserved better and you delivered and your patience was rewarded! Bravo.
Now get it on and enjoy it!

kowalski

Practically Family
YES, it was the right decision replace patch.The reconstruction B 3 was also the right decision.
Why did I do it ? the answer is easy ; because thanks to these People I can be who I am now
I can not have contact with them and that's all I can do for them; and to commemorate, / strengthen the memory of them in this way

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nice restoration using those pieces salvageable.
I have a 15th AAF A2 that I have had now for 35 years. When I bought the jacket I wore it many times as not many enthusiasts wore originals at that time. Unfortunately The 15th patch fell off and was lost. I painted this replica myself as most original patches were smaller in diameter.
This was made from an old leather automobile seat cover and painted with enamel. I have been told it is a pretty good copy of something that would have been made on the base.
15th AAF patches are usually accompanied with a stars and stripes on the opposite shoulder, not every jacket had this detail though many examples shown in books show the miniature flag.
Here are a couple of photo's of my A2 patches which also feature on B3 jackets of 15th AAF members.

Cheers, Johnny T

Left shoulder painted on leather.

e25689eb-ebc4-4935-8049-2cce600cde7d_zps4qgprmue.jpg

Right shoulder painted on leather. The stars have worn off over the years but the blue background and red/white stripes remain.

P4270009.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
Nice restoration using those pieces salvageable.
I have a 15th AAF A2 that I have had now for 35 years. When I bought the jacket I wore it many times as not many enthusiasts wore originals at that time. Unfortunately The 15th patch fell off and was lost. I painted this replica myself as most original patches were smaller in diameter.
This was made from an old leather automobile seat cover and painted with enamel. I have been told it is a pretty good copy of something that would have been made on the base.
15th AAF patches are usually accompanied with a stars and stripes on the opposite shoulder, not every jacket had this detail though many examples shown in books show the miniature flag.
Here are a couple of photo's of my A2 patches which also feature on B3 jackets of 15th AAF members.

Cheers, Johnny T

Left shoulder painted on leather.

e25689eb-ebc4-4935-8049-2cce600cde7d_zps4qgprmue.jpg

Right shoulder painted on leather. The stars have worn off over the years but the blue background and red/white stripes remain.

P4270009.jpg
very nice skin ,it looks thick and solid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats