Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Orvis Flight Deck Cargo Pants and Lambswool Mechanics Sweater

Stand By

One Too Many
Good day all,
Thought I'd show you my most recent purchases from Orvis.
I went for the Lambswool Mechanics Sweater in their sale - and only available in black at that time.
Originally it was US$98 but it was in the sale with 20% off. But if you wait, days come up with an email notice whereby they will have a limited sale (often one day only) on their sale items, taking off a further 20% off the sale price and with free shipping thrown in! So I got this sweater for US$58!
The sweater is very soft and not at all scratchy. A shawl neck is new to me and I was instantly surprised by how nice and snug it felt against the back of my neck. I think it'll be perfect with my ELC B-6 when the temperatures start to dive.
Great quality. 5/5.
Please forgive the photos - the best I could do with a rickety step ladder and a self-timer! And if you're wondering what I'm smiling at, all the dogs came over on the back deck just off camera and were wondering what the heck I was doing!

OrvisSweater#1.JPG
OrvisSweater#2.JPG

Alas, this item is now sold out and the two Mechanics Sweaters they now have are both all-cotton, but look really nice and just like the ones seen in Red Tails and Fury.

I also took a chance on two pairs of their Utility Flight Deck Cargo Pants - something to go with my ANJ-3/B-6 etc. on my daily dog walks - and I wanted something tougher and longer-lasting than my old cotton Eddie Bauer Flight Cargo pants which I loved but they wore out and literally fell apart and I gave up on repairing them again (so I wouldn't recommend them) - and I was not disappointed with what arrived from Orvis! That won't happen to these!
These pants were originally US$149 and I scored them for US$89 in the sale.
They are made from their "Britain Cloth" - a heavy cotton 10.5 oz gauge material that is seriously tough and was modeled after material that was once used for miners! It's a very dense and tightly-woven material - so cold winds doesn't really penetrate them and they performed beautifully for me on a long, chilly dog walk in a forest at 5C ! They're also very soft and comfortable requiring no break-in. I love the colour too - a faded olive.
The pants sit quite high on the waist (like pants of olde) and the waist can be cinched in with some brass adjusters and are very comfortable for that. The belt loops are large and, like the rest of the construction, seemingly indestructible and and can easily take a belt of 1 3/4 " width. Sizing is accurate.
They have bellows pockets which can easily take large amounts of poop bags and a dog toy for the dog walks. They'll take some serious wearing out and are a classic example of "Buy better, buy less".

OrvisFUP#1.JPG
OrvisFUP#2.JPG
OrvisFUP#3.JPG
OrvisFUP#4.JPG

Again, alas, these are now discontinued (I did post them here when they were on sale!) but Orvis has 4/5 other pants of varying styles but made of the same Britain Cloth - and that material is what I'm really recommending here.
But I'd hold off until they're in the sale and snag yourself a bargain. As the season has just restarted, the wait will perhaps be long at this point - but worth it. I'm glad I watched and waited (about a year) and got the bargain I did - and I took the chance and got 2 pairs as well ! Again 5/5.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
Nice stuff! Glad you posted. Its tough to not look too costume-ish when wearing “uniform” style clothes with one’s awesome WW2 styles leather jackets! When I do wear military pants/shirts/boots/etc., I go to my stash of repro items from WW2 Impressions/At The Front, etc. and hope I don’t look like I am reenacting!!!! I subscribe to the ideal of, why buy “inspired by” clothes when you can by exact copies! Well, the answer is that lots of the WW2 stuff is way too oversized in cut and/or has too wonky of a fit. I end up getting things altered at the tailors.

What you are wearing is a great option. I just picked up a pair of RRL Paratrooper paints for a great price that look super even with the added fashion bling. Well-made, pretty close to authentic pants but with a modern fit and a waistline that doesn’t go up to my armpits!!!!!

Enjoy your clothing!!!!!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You need to get in touch with a modeling agency. They'd pay big bucks for pictures like these! Your photos are probably being added to an ebay listing as we speak...Excellent.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks very much, fellas !
Thanks for the link to ATF, CBI ! I really like their wool scarf already! Must be the one Gregory Peck wore in 12 O'clock High - which I always liked the look of.
And yes, I get to know very quickly if I over-do the military look as my girlfriend will let me know in no uncertain terms! :) She's good that way.

I'm glad there aren't any Orvis stores near me, Fanch. I'd find it hard to resist being there more often than is good for my credit card …
I like Orvis, I must say - but they are expensive in general and that's not always an indicator of improved quality either - I find it's most useful to read the reviews and go by those.
So when a good quality and well-reviewed item appears and it's at a good price too (i.e. sale), they're fantastic.
And with these pants being able to take a 1 3/4" inch belt, now I'd love one of those but a really good one in a nice brown leather. It never ends!

Thanks Nick! You're funny as always. :)

And now you tell me, Ralph. I've been admiring their safari shirts for a while but have so far held off - and then I recently saw that Orvis has a newly released officer's shirt that looks just fantastic to me! So they're as good as they look? Darn.
Right, well that's one more to keep a look out for when the sales some around … thanks!

Cocker

Practically Family
Love those trousers! They are exactly the kind of trousers I'm looking for, too bad they're out of stock.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I found some on eBay Friday after seeing Stand By's post and ordered a pair. You might take a look.

CBI

One Too Many
Stand By - I agree - Orvis - nice stuff but very pricey and frequently not worth it. I used to visit the Dallas store but seeing all of the high $ items in person and being disappointed with the quality - yikes. They DO make SOME nice things, one has to be careful.

Stand By

One Too Many
Stand By - I agree - Orvis - nice stuff but very pricey and frequently not worth it. I used to visit the Dallas store but seeing all of the high $ items in person and being disappointed with the quality - yikes. They DO make SOME nice things, one has to be careful.

Exactly - one does need to be careful with Orvis as they can lull one into thinking that the superior prices = superior quality, and that's not always the case, as you say.
It's a bit like LL Bean - great and dependable stuff as a rule, but let's face it, not the most stylish of gear and, for me, SOME things are worth getting there (but for a different reason) but it's important to pair their stuff with other brands.
But when the product is right, it is SO right!

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
This just in!
Orvis is having one of their one-day sales today with an extra 20% off everything in the sale outlets (and there are 4 of them: New To Sale, Clearance room, Tent Sale and Almost gone) PLUS free shipping (just remember to add in the promotional code!). Worth a look. This is when you can snag a bargain and how I got my pants and sweater!
http://www.orvis.com/sale-outlet

And we're back in black! (Good name for an LP, that) - or rather, back to the TFL signature black. I love it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider