Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Playboy and Borsalino review

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got those 2 fedora's today and just thought I'd pass on my observation and critique. First the colors in the photo's were not even close. The Stetson Playboy was a dark gray, a lot darker than my Stetson whippet or my Stratoliner. Also the felt was a lot thicker than my other Playboy and it didn't have the stitched edge, it was just a raw edge which was a little disappointing. The dimensions on both hats were the same. 5 3/4 inch open crown with 2 3/4 inch brim. My favorite measurements.

The borsalino was a lot lighter gray than my other gray hats. A very, very light dove gray. And it's felt is extremely soft and pliable. I can literally squish it in my hand and then pop it back out. It is much softer than my other 2 brown ones.

Both hats have the top stitched sweatbands. The borsalino has the corrigation in the sweatband on the front like my other ones have. However the Borsalino's liner is not stitched in, which was a surprise. It has little pieces of a paper tape that holds it in. The Stetson was sewn in and also has the made in Philly label under the sweatband.

The condition of these hats is not brand new like my other Playboy was, which I didn't expect, but the felt on both is in excellent shape and the liners and sweatbands are also very clean on both. I was very pleased and one happy camper with the addition of these 2 to my collection.

So you guys won't have to compete with me for any more hats now, other than a black borsalino of the same quality and size as this one. My wish list and closet is 99.9 % full.

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
My wish list and closet is 99.9 % full.

:clap You have almost arrrived then fedoralover. I am still looking, and have become so snooty that the old Dobbs, Knoxes and Cavanaghs are the only ones I am looking for. All must have tall crowns and at least a 2 3/4 brim. Well, I still buy Stetsons, the 7x and 10x too. I would love to find a Knox with a high beaver content. I have never seen one, or at least, if I did, I did not know what I was looking at. Good show! Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Now that you have been handling all these different felt bodies with the different blends of fur, are you able to discern which vintage fedora's have more beaver than others? If so, how do you tell or is it just something you have know by the feel? I have several fedora's that I know are 100% beaver and it's really hard for me to tell. The difference in pouncing, felt thickness and stiffner added, makes them all a little different.

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
Now that you have been handling all these different felt bodies with the different blends of fur, are you able to discern which vintage fedora's have more beaver than others?

You know, I tell by just the feel, along with the fineness of the felt. But, I am only talking a hat that has mostly beaver in it. I can't really tell when there is just a little added. One thing that I do know. If you ever see a supposedly high content beaver hat, non western, and it feels like wool, it ain't beaver. Beaver jumps out at cha. regards, Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy