Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My problem child

This hat has given me fits. I've put it together twice now, and it seems that just about every part of the process I might have gotten wrong I did get wrong. I was so dissatisfied with it the first time around that I took it apart and reblocked it, reflanged it, shortened the brim a bit, and gave it yet another new sweatband and ribbon and bow. And I could scarcely get out of my own way the second time through. Hate to think of all the hours of wasted effort put into this thing. But at least it's something I will wear now, and I've become aware of even more pitfalls to avoid. So I guess that's of some value, eh?
This photo makes it appear a few shades lighter than it actually is. I'll wear it quite a bit, I think, to see how it holds up, and to have a good reason to rebuild it yet again.

IMGP1057.jpg

Nope. It's an all-new hat, built on a dress weight beaver body. Real good sweatband, so-so cotton/rayon blend ribbon, crummy liner. If it weren't such a good (and expensive) body, I probably wouldn't have bothered building it over again.

There are 24 stitches holding that pleated bow together, and that ain't including the ones securing it to the body. I did my darnedest to make 'em all invisible, which means not letting the needle penetrate the outside fold of ribbon. You know, you have to put the stitches inside the folds, under the outer layer. It's slow going, but it would look real clunky if I hadn't gone to those lengths.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks amazing! Part of it is probably that we're all our own worst critics, and we know all the problems we had making it and/or how it might've been done differently, things that nobody else would notice but because we were so close to the project, we're always remembering the problems and perhaps seeing things that perhaps are too minor for anyone else to notice. You did a great job!

You're right, Mike. It is indeed doubtful that the average person would find much to fault with this hat. But a hat-maker, or even an avid fancier, undoubtedly would, especially on closer examination. And the way it was before was just, I dunno, fundamentally off. There were so many little things not quite right about it -- the shape of the crown, the width of the brim, the finish of the felt, the style of the bow, the lousy fit, and on and on -- that they added up to a decidedly less than satisfactory hat.

I'm much happier with it now, but I still think of it as something of a test bed. It'll get worn when the rains return. But not this weekend, right Mike and Bart? They're saying 90 and clear out here.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
You're right, Mike. It is indeed doubtful that the average person would find much to fault with this hat. But a hat-maker, or even an avid fancier, undoubtedly would, especially on closer examination. And the way it was before was just, I dunno, fundamentally off. There were so many little things not quite right about it -- the shape of the crown, the width of the brim, the finish of the felt, the style of the bow, the lousy fit, and on and on -- that they added up to decidedly less than satisfactory hat.

I'm much happier with it now, but I still think of it as something of a test bed. It'll get worn when the rains return. But not this weekend, right Mike and Bart? They're saying 90 and clear out here.

There is some global warming in my neighborhood.:D Tony it is refreshing to see someone with such apparent skills yet so humble. That hat looks great and you won't change my mindlol

As always, gents, thanks for the kind words.

And Bart, as my family and friends and long-suffering spouse and (former) employers could tell you, "humble" is an adjective rarely used in reference to me. But thanks. If I weren't proud of this handiwork of mine, I wouldn't post pictures of it here.

I mention what goes wrong because I wouldn't wish to leave the impression that my very limited experience has me thinking that I'm any sort of master craftsman.

While I would encourage other budding hat-makers to give it a try, I would want them to know going in that it isn't as easy as it might appear. The processes themselves seem straightforward and readily comprehensible, but it's almost amazing the variety of ways in which they can be poorly executed. Even something as seemingly idiot-proof as putting a hat on a block can be done incorrectly.

As to the potential money savings over buying finished hats ... It's true that the cost of materials, while not inconsequential, isn't prohibitive. But you need the right blocks and flanges (see what those are going for these days?) and a bunch of other equipment (a good iron, for instance). And then there's the stuff you don't absolutely need but will probably want, such as a sewing machine. Figure it would take quite a few hats to amortize all those costs.

In other words, unless you're at least a bit nuts about hats, you'd probably find it more frustration and expense than it's worth.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
In other words, unless you're at least a bit nuts about hats, you'd probably find it more frustration and expense than it's worth.

It isn't a "job requirement" Tony, but it helps to be a bit nuts. :D

I'm glad to see you going after the more difficult bow treatments. Overall it looks good Tony but you are right, I do see where you had/have "issues", but you knew I would. Just to let you know that it doesn't end, I am today putting a brim binding on a hat ( the SAME hat) for the 4th time as each time a different "issue" crept up making it beneath my goal. uggg It happens to all of us.
Keep your head down & working..it DOES get better

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
While I would encourage other budding hat-makers to give it a try, I would want them to know going in that it isn't as easy as it might appear. The processes themselves seem straightforward and readily comprehensible, but it's almost amazing the variety of ways in which they can be poorly executed. Even something as seemingly idiot-proof as putting a hat on a block can be done incorrectly.

Ah...there speaks a wise man. Almost any "handcrafting", from hats to musical instruments to vintage automobiles, requires a lot of Patience and Persistence. Paying attention to details becomes more and more important the better you get at something.
That's a nice hat, Tonyb. And it must be wonderfully satisfying to wear something you made yourself.

p.s. Hi, Art! Howya been?

The automobile comparison is a good one, Craig, and one I can relate to, having had a hand in a few old-car "restorations." Yeah, a hobbyist can acquire the equipment and knowledge needed to, say, paint a car. And he can do a passable job of it, one that would look pretty darned good to the average person, especially if that average person didn't take a real close look. But I'd advise that hobbyist to start with his '89 Aerostar, not his '57 Bel Air.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hey Serge, be looking for a USPS notice on Monday. She's done..and nope, I'm not telling what I did..:rolleyes:

Brudda Craig!!!!!! It's good to see you drop in. Why not give me a call & do some catchup?
Folks, about 10 years ago I bought the equipment from a retired hat shop south of Boston and Craig was not only kind enough drive down to Fall River and check out the stuff for me ( letting me know if it was worth the cross country drive) but treated me to some local haunts of his in Boston when I got there & put me up for the night. Hat man extrordinaire!!
Well Craig, my "dream" has come true and I'm making the hats I talked about so many years ago, thanks in no small part to guys like you!!

Serge

New in Town
Art

:eek:fftopic: this is entirely unfair! Did you ever consider that I might not like what you did? :eek: Certainly not likely! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy