Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Project Hat....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wanted to take one of my hats and use it as a project hat, before attempting my very own custom.

I had this "Style Craft" laying around and thought it would be the perfect candidate. The Brim was way too wide for the height of the crown when I got it, so I just tried trimming the brim at 1st.

That's when I decided to use it as a project hat. it didn't have any liner & the sweat was in terrible shape.

I started by soaking it and re-blocking it to get a bit more crown height. I then did my 1st attempt at sewing in a new sweatband.

I wanted to use a Copper or Bronze shade of grosgrain on it & I wanted to also attempt putting some binding on the brim, but I was having a hard time finding the matching color in cotton/rayon, so I did my best, although it is a different shade.

Much to my dismay, the seller sent me the wrong type. This didn't have the edge on it, but I used it anyway because she said that was all she had. I didn't care that much because it was a project hat anyway.

Here are a few before and after pictures. It didn't come out great, but it was a fun project. Thanks for looking.

This is what it looked like out of the box when I got it......

SC-1.jpg
SC-2.jpg

As you can see what I was saying, the crown was way too short for the brim width.

SC-3.jpg
SC-4.jpg

This is what it looked like when I just took some of the brim off and a diamond crease......

SC-8.jpg
SC-9.jpg

The rest of the transformation to follow.....

trailrunner

Familiar Face
Wow, very nice! I'm impressed with the job you did on the brim edging. The higher crown and the copper band and brim against the more subdued felt are eye catching.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Nice work!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

very nicely done, I dig it! where did you score the white sweatband?

great transformation, you got some good height with the crown and very impressive brim binding :D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CigarMan said:
Really looks good Bolt . . . that's a great Singer by the way . . . is that what you used?
Yep, it's an old 99 model, even though I hand cranked it, it worked great. :D

Will, the sweat is an ivory color and let's just say that I scored it from a friend. ;)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey Bolt, you said it didn't turn out great...I beg to disagree sir!
As far as I can see from your pictures, this was an entirely successful effort.
I really like the copper ribbon and your bow treatment and your edge stitching seems very neatly done.

Bravo! And done with a vintage sewing machine it seems.

- Bill

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wil Tam said:
...where did you score the white sweatband?

I want to know that too.
-------------------

Thanks for taking us through that transformation, Bolty. You are one crafty cat. Glad to see you back tinkerin' with some of your lids. You've done a nice job of transforming quite a few of them over the last year or so, but this one takes the cake! :eusa_clap

GWD

One Too Many
Great Job Bolt

That's really impressive! I'd be proud to wear that hat! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Bolt -- that is just fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I don't know what's in the water around here lately, but suddenly there are all kinds of adventurous souls doing some impressive lid projects. I couldn't even imagine taking the plunge myself, but I sure do admire those that do.

Well done!

Cheers,
JtL

donCarlos

Practically Family
Stunning!

How did you manage to gain so much height? It seems from the first pictures that there is no felt left...
And the ribbon! WOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy