Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My short trip to Ecuador...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I just came back from a short, 3 1/2 days trip to Quito, Ecuador. Family things needed to be taken care of. Here are some pictures of the city. Also I went to a bunch of hat shops (most of them located in the tourist area) and, as I was told by Brent (as in BBB), I didn't find anything worth my money and time. The Montecristi hats being sold there are terrible and expensive. It is obvious that the best bodies are being exported. I was shocked at the fact that in the Mecca of panama hats, there were none. Some of those, of mediocre quality, were sold at prices going from the $700 to over 1K but believe me, those same hats would sell here for $150 tops.
Anyway, I ended up finding a really nice store that sells Cuenca hats only. Beautiful hats, great quality (some of them as fine and thin as montecristi hats) and good prices. Bought one for myself and will post pictures of it later.
now to the images.

DSC05206.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

DSC05133.jpg

DSC05132.jpg

They were in the middle of inventory.

DSC05225.jpg

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05231.jpg

My sister and I.
DSC05232.jpg

This shop is very well known. Hats were terrible and super expensive.

IMG_0324.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome back! and thanks for the pics. As far as the hats go, What a sad state of affairs. I know that must be disappointing.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Welcome back! and thanks for the pics. As far as the hats go, What a sad state of affairs. I know that must be disappointing.

Thanks, Zetwal. It was very disappointing, indeed. I wonder what's the story in the coast...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano --

That is the exact same Homero Ortega store that I visited during my own whirlwind visit to Quito last fall. Actually, some of the Cuencas they had were really, really nice hats. Didn't have one in the particular style I was looking for -- although they could have had more lids shipped into Quito from their store in Cuenca had I been staying longer.

Anyway -- like you, I was amazed that, in the heart of it all, it was damn difficult to pin down a decent panama hat!

Thanks for sharing the photos of your visit! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Aureliano --

That is the exact same Homero Ortega store that I visited during my own whirlwind visit to Quito last fall. Actually, some of the Cuencas they had were really, really nice hats. Didn't have one in the particular style I was looking for -- although they could have had more lids shipped into Quito from their store in Cuenca had I been staying longer.

Anyway -- like you, I was amazed that, in the heart of it all, it was damn difficult to pin down a decent panama hat!

Thanks for sharing the photos of your visit! :)

Cheers,
JtL

What a coincidence! and yes, as I said and concour with you, some of their Cuencas where amazing. Very much like montecristis but bleached white.
I'll post pics of mine soon. Here, a couple more pictures:

My hat flying back to the USA comfortably on the tray table (I'm replacing the pug with ribbon):

IMG_0354.jpg

Hat kiosk in a mall. Outbacks and a few cheap optimo styled.

IMG_0348.jpg

DSC05116.jpg

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05241-1.jpg

DSC05170.jpg

I'm not religious but some of the sculptures where pretty amazing. This Christ was sculpted on a single log.

DSC05139.jpg

DSC05242.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's another coincidence for you, Aureliano. I visited that same kiosk at the mall! lol The hotel where I was staying had a store with some Homero Ortega hats. The salesperson there steered me to the Homero Ortega store, as well as to that kiosk at the mall! :eek: That's too funny.

Nice lid, btw. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Here's another coincidence for you, Aureliano. I visited that same kiosk at the mall! lol The hotel where I was staying had a store with some Homero Ortega hats. The salesperson there steered me to the Homero Ortega store, as well as to that kiosk at the mall! :eek: That's too funny.

Nice lid, btw. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

That's hilarious! did you buy any hats at all? Did you see all the natives, indigenous men and women with their wool felts? I saw a bunch wearing quite nice thin ribbons, sort of OR style. I thought of Rusty: he would've loved them!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
That's hilarious! did you buy any hats at all? Did you see all the natives, indigenous men and women with their wool felts? I saw a bunch wearing quite nice thin ribbons, sort of OR style. I thought of Rusty: he would've loved them!

I'm afraid I didn't buy any hats -- though not for lack of effort! lol

And yes, I saw many indigenous men and women wearing their wool felts, particularly at the féria in Otavalo.

And on that note (and with Aureliano's kind permission), here are a few photos from a day trip taken north of Quito.

After an ill-fated attempt to find a quality panama hat in town, we headed north out of Quito for some exploring...

Montanas.jpg

Arrived at Lago San Pablo for lunch. Beautiful view of the lake...

LagoSanPablo.jpg

Looking back up toward the mountains in the other direction...

Field.jpg

Arrived at Otavalo, walked around the town, and visited the craft market...

Feria.jpg

Driving back to Quito in the late afternoon, we could clearly see beautiful snow-capped volcanos -- unfortunately, couldn't stop for photos! What a beautiful country, with wonderful sights, sounds, food and people! :)

Cheers,
JtL

RBH

Bartender
Aureliano said:

And you got no photos!!!

:D

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.:eusa_clap

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I'm afraid I didn't buy any hats -- though not for lack of effort! lol

And yes, I saw many indigenous men and women wearing their wool felts, particularly at the féria in Otavolo.

And on that note (and with Aureliano's kind permission), here are a few photos from a day trip taken north of Quito.

After an ill-fated attempt to find a quality panama hat in town, we headed north out of Quito for some exploring...

Driving back to Quito in the late afternoon, we could clearly see beautiful snow-capped volcanos -- unfortunately, couldn't stop for photos! What a beautiful country, with wonderful sights, sounds, food and people! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Beautiful pictures, Jimmy! Ecuador is a fascinating place, worth going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot