Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Radio Collection

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
1946 Sonora WRU-243. This unique asymmetrical "machine-age" AA5 radio has a large translucent maroon tuning knob. When on, a beam of light makes a circle of light that acts as a tuning pointer. The ivory painted cabinet has it's original factory paint and performs very well. These were made from 1939 through 1948 with very slight changes.
DSC00360.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here's an early one: a 2-tube 1924 RCA Radiola model III with the optional rare 2-tube amp, and a rare 1923 RCA Radiola model UZ-1320 loudspeaker. This loudspeaker with thumbwheel volume control was expensive and on the market for a short time when it was replaced with a similar, but reconfigured base and much cheaper. It also has the rare Barkelew adjustable antenna switch. The battery eliminator is housed in a repro wooden case with period "Pure-Tone" labeling. it originally used the rare WD-11 tubes, but it uses cheaper replacements now. This little set performs surprisingly well! Very listenable with plenty of volume.
288603920_165670519281461_4771226431061208446_n.jpg

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Here is a tiny 1938 Emerson model AX-211 "Little Miracle" 5-tube radio. It has a cloth line-resistance cord. Surprisingly it's noted that it was designed by the famous industrial designer Count Alexis de Sakhnoffsky. It's small, but plays wonderfully. The cabinet is brown Bakelite with black attached sled-stlye feet and bullet knobs.
DSC00394.JPG

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
That’s pretty.

Was it in that fine a cosmetic condition when it came your way?
Thanks. The set had a very poor refinish when I got it. I thought I'd "resto-mod" it and add the black lacquer "fins' and feet on the front. I also used red-mahogany stain to give it a richer, warmer tone. Many hours of work.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
What brand of radio is the one on the bottom left with the center dial? I collect watches and remember seeing one real similar to that one with "Bulova" on the dial plate a few years back.

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
1934 Zenith model 805 cathedral radio. 5-tubes. Zenith's last cathedral model and, in my opinion, the prettiest. It has a nice smaller-size cabinet too.
DSC00419.JPG

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
In the Fall of 1938 Philco introduced the first practical battery-only portable radio using the new Sylvania low-drain tubes, the model 39-71. This rather plain model was revised in late 1939 with a nice deco brass bezel, knob cups, and vertical stripes, making for a more attractive model 39-72, which this one is. These cost $30.00 when new which would be about $650 now. People loved portability with their electronics even back then, and these sold in large numbers.
DSC00425.JPG

Last edited:

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
This a fully restored (many hours of work!)1938 Fairbanks-Morse model 5C-T3. Fairbanks-Morse bought Audiola in 1934 and sold appliances, including radios, till 1939. By that time, they were failing in that area due to a recession. 1937-1938 was their golden years. They continued with their industrial equipment up to the present time. The set has a hearty 5-tbe chassis and 3 bands. A really beautiful piece of 1930's art-deco design.
DSC00435.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
1933 Crosley model 167 cathedral radio. 5 tubes, 2-bands. The smaller size and very nice details including the "sky-scraper" escutcheon, make it an appealing set.
DSC00451.JPG

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
This is a 1937 Wilcox-Gay model A46 from the company's line of art-deco metal grilled sets that year. This is the tabletop or "lay-down" model. I found this in a local antiques shop that looked more like an arts and crafts boutique! You never know. I got it for a fair price and it just needed a good refinishing and grille cloth. The original finish was a rather dull even medium walnut. I gave it a warmer tone with toner highlights. A really unusual set.
1937 wilcox-Gay A-46DSC00457.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko