Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Wedding Outfit & Other Questions

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there. I have mentioned before that I am getting married December 1st. It will be a simple ceremony done at the Christmas Story House http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/ if anyone is interested. There won't be anyone else there. Ok now on to my questions. I don't have any real life friends to ask so I value the opinions of you other vintage lovers. I am wearing the suit shown below and the red shoes. I also have a read gabardine coat with fur collar and cuffs that I will be wearing. (Not in the ceremony) Do you guys think I should try for a hat? If so what would you say red? Also what do you think about flowers? I was thinking and nice red rose corsage with Christmas touches would be good. Or do you think I should have a small bouquet? Also I was thinking of replacing the cream buttons on the suit with red ones. To much red? I guess I am looking for suggestions. I have never been married and I am not sure where to go with this?

siut1.jpg
[/IMG]

siut2.jpg
[/IMG]

redpeep1.jpg
[/IMG]

Ada Veen

Practically Family
i like the buttons the same colour as the suit, which is absolutely gorgeous. A red or white/cream? hat would look good - maybe white with a red flower....

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I think a soft white hat would be beautiful. Maybe a little veiling that just covers your eyes. The suit is fantastic. I think you'll be a beautiful bride. Congratulations.

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks. I have had my eye out on ebay for awhile now. I like larger brimmed hats. Like a cart wheel or a pancake. I am begining to think this might be a pipe dream. I just don't want it to interfer with the photos.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
You're getting married at the Christmans Story House?? Neat! I didn't know that was preserved!

Hmmm ... I think red buttons would be a bit too much red in the middle of things, and would detract from the fabulosity* of the suit itself. I prefer the cream buttons. If that's you in the avatar, I think a red hat would look nice since you're a brunette, but wouldn't it be hard to match the red of the shoes acceptably? If you can match that red, I say a wide brimmed red hat, plain; if not, I say a smaller-brimmed cream hat (not stark white, I think) with a bit of red foliage of some sort of veiling. I vote for a bouquet over a corsage, and I think adding a small Christmas touch to it would be nice! Nothing shiny or sparkly, though.

Note, of course, that I've never even been to a wedding, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Do keep us posted! :D

*I know, not a word.

texasgirl

One Too Many
What about a flower in your hair? I think a Gardenia or if you did red- maybe a rose- or something to match a small bouquet? Keep that in mind if you can't find a hat. An ivory hat may be hard to find that would still be clean. I'd keep the hat on the small side so you can see your face in the pictures. Oh, and I think the buttons look great the way the are :) Oh, and congrats!!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Epr25 I love your suit and shoes! What a fab idea to get married at the Christmas Story home. I hope I get to visit one day, they're on my myspace page, LOL!

Here's my two cents... I think too much red and white, while a great look, might be too much like Valentine's Day. I would leave the buttons as is, or perhaps look for some that are even more fancy, rhinestones, ect. (I can't tell if that's a rhinestone in the center of each one or not?)

I would definately do a corsage, all red roses or maybe a few baby cream ones~ or perhaps fresh holly and baby cream roses? Just remember to move corsage from coat to suit, ect!

A 40's style mini veil would be nice, or a simple rabbit fur hat...That would be cute with holly on it too. Just did a search on the bay and there are a lot of cute vintage red hats too.

Congratulations, I cannot wait to see pictures!
I'd probably buy a red and a cream hat, try em on and take pics, then decide.
Keep us posted!
Nikki

V

VargasBaby

Not that I have much experience yet with this but personally I think too much red would be overpowering on such a pretty and elegant dress suit.

I would think that to keep with the theme of the holiday, utilizing holly or poinsettas as the other ladies have mentioned would be a nice nod, plus their greenery would add a little more zest to it.

I would rather like the idea of a poinesetta in the hair in lieu of the hat or veil and a small bouquet of them with holly.

I'd keep the buttons as is, or else as Ohairas has suggested and with rhinestones or something in that color scheme.

It really is a lovely dress and I wish you all the best in prosperity.

ShortClara

One Too Many
dashiell said:
fabulosity*

*I know, not a word.

I vote for fabulosity to be a word.

And I vote for a bouquet over a corsage, as the red ribbon-type adornment on the suit might be a lot in addition to a corsage. Plus - it's a wedding - bouquet is a must! I also love the flower/ small hat idea. You should be the center of your day and photos, and a large hat might take away from your face. It must match the red of the shoes however. Don't change the buttons - that suit is amazing!! Good luck! Congratulations!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Agree with most comments - don't change the buttons, they are nice as they are and too much red would be overpowering.

I'd go for a hat to match the suit. The veil would be a nice touch, and a small bouquet would be really nice. It is a wedding! Go for it! Congrats!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Brilliant Idea

Congratulations! I think your Christmas Story house idea is super duper. Love your suit, I like the idea of rhinestone buttons in a cream color and a poinsettia corsage.
Just my thoughts!

leaette

A-List Customer
I must say that I am completely jealous that you are getting married in that house! What a FANTASTIC idea. I love that movie so much, I know the whole movie script while I'm watching it. So completely jealous.

I agree with bebopbaby....pointsettias would be really fitting for the season.

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks for all the suggestions! The only reason I brought up changing the buttons is some of them are not in that great of shape. I usually try at all cost to keep items in the original condition I received them in.

I am really liking the poinsettia suggestions. The only reason I was leaning toward roses was so he could have a matching flower for his lapel. He is wearing a pin striped wool Hollywood waist suit. White shirt and he is undecided about the tie. He has about 100 so it won't be a problem.

If we could get married a weekend earlier we were offered the opportunity to possibly have the actors stand up with us. Could you imagine Skut Farcuss as your best man. Hilarious! But unfortunately my boyfriend works for the railroad and they usually will work a day straight on Thanksgiving. It's the only time they shut down the rail lines. Weird. But who could turn down that much overtime.

V

VargasBaby

Why couldnt he have a sprig of holly for his lapel instead of a rose? ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
VargasBaby said:
Why couldnt he have a sprig of holly for his lapel instead of a rose? ;)

I second that!

Do the buttons photograph ok? That's all I would worry about. If you're going to do some closeup shots, perhaps move all the best buttons to the top?

Oh what a hoot, Scut standing up with you. Oh well, it will be more intimate without his yellow eyes, lol!
Nikki

epr25

Practically Family
I guess last year they also did this (with the actors) to kick off the grand opening. We were going to go but could not. I really was disappointed when I found out thay they had the windows of Higbee's decorated as close as possible to the movie. Cleveland just looks so cool I am really excited!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic