Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Whippet...

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
With that smile I should get a few freebies on my next pics!!!:D
I especially like the bound brim as well as the fat ribbon!:eusa_clap Looks a lot like deelovelys newest hat. Makes me want to try a bound brim.:rolleyes:

You've got the untouchables thing going there!

Thanks for all your help, IC. Your other half really is putting together a nice collection, isn't she?

Don't forget, if you're toying with the idea of an Art Fawcett, a lot of his hats have bound edges.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Duck said:
Great looking hat, Robin!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I think it suits you very well and the glasses just help refine the look.
I too, really like my Whippet, which by the way is the same color as yours. :D

Hey thanks! Actually, the colour is a little...aged? on mine. The grey has yellowed very slightly. which personally I like.

An interesting thing is that several people have said the hat is green. I know what they mean, because under fluorescent lights it does give off a greenish cast. I wonder if this is because the colour of the hat has changed, or because it was made when fluorescent lights were more scarce, and of a different colour balance that didn't give this green look.

In daylight (which I always take to be the "true" colour of something unless I am told otherwise), the hat looks like a warm grey.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
I don't actually know what the crease I mean is called. .....

Here is the shape you refer to [cattleman crease]

49stetsonOpenRoad.jpg

But alot here at the Lounge fedoraize the O R. kinda like this.

EKR7635lal1898.jpg

Either shape could be given to the Campdraft. My Campdraft has the diamond crease in it. Not as much as my TVA but it is still there.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Thanks for all your help, IC. Your other half really is putting together a nice collection, isn't she?

Don't forget, if you're toying with the idea of an Art Fawcett, a lot of his hats have bound edges.
More than toying with the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Very handsome!...

Thanks Betty. Sounds to me like you should probably get some glasses of your own, though. :eek:

Vintage Betty said:
So we are going to see you in the what hat are you wearing today thread, hmmm?

Oh I can show you what hat I am wearing right now, but I didn't want to spoil that thread, because this hat isn't vintage, it's futuristic:

ASEH.jpg

This is my All-Seeing Eye Hat. I use it to see into people's minds. Except now it's broken, so I am going to sell it on eBay as a fixer-upper. Anybody interested should PM me. It's a little tight on me, so I guess it's probably a 7 1/8.

fatwoul said:
So I won me a Whippet on OFAS a couple of weeks back ...

... It's my first proper vintage lid, and it was a really good price, I think. About a third the price of a brown whippet sold on their yesterday, in fact.

Watch out, man -- you grow accustomed to those old hats and nothing else (short of a custom) will do.

fatwoul

Practically Family
tonyb said:
Watch out, man -- you grow accustomed to those old hats and nothing else (short of a custom) will do.

I know what you mean, tony. Right now, the sweatband on this one will take a little getting used to. Its old leather, and its a little dry. I've rubbed a small amount of moisturiser into it (which I have found to help with leather before), so we'll see if it softens up any. I want to try and keep it from cracking, although in a couple of places you can tell that might be due to happen.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Feraud said:
A fine Whippet. These are my favorite hats.
Enjoy it.

Thanks Feraud. It might be going on its first outing tomorrow. Taking the afternoon with my sister to go out shooting some landscapes for our portfolios.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fatwoul said:
Thanks Betty. Sounds to me like you should probably get some glasses of your own, though. :eek:

Oh I can show you what hat I am wearing right now, but I didn't want to spoil that thread, because this hat isn't vintage, it's futuristic:

ASEH.jpg

This is my All-Seeing Eye Hat. I use it to see into people's minds. Except now it's broken, so I am going to sell it on eBay as a fixer-upper. Anybody interested should PM me. It's a little tight on me, so I guess it's probably a 7 1/8.

What a perfect fit! :D

VB

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Thanks Feraud. It might be going on its first outing tomorrow. Taking the afternoon with my sister to go out shooting some landscapes for our portfolios.
Cool!!40 caliber or 308? oh sorry, got lost in my own excitement!:eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:

ASEH.jpg

just use the stretcher! Been hitting the guiness today have we governor?lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
DOUGLAS said:
Beautiful fatwoul, That Whippet fits you like you were born for it.

Thanks DOUG - trying your whole "wear it with confidence" philosophy, especially with the picture. Much easier now that I am used to wearing a hat anyway.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Thanks DOUG - trying your whole "wear it with confidence" philosophy, especially with the picture. Much easier now that I am used to wearing a hat anyway.
Yeah except parcel farce is coming after you for misuse of their packing hat!:eek:

fatwoul said:
I know what you mean, tony. Right now, the sweatband on this one will take a little getting used to. Its old leather, and its a little dry. I've rubbed a small amount of moisturiser into it (which I have found to help with leather before), so we'll see if it softens up any. I want to try and keep it from cracking, although in a couple of places you can tell that might be due to happen.

You may wish to put something (paper towel, maybe?) between the sweatband and the inside of the crown, so as to prevent leather conditioner from transfering to the felt or lining. Many old hats have a sort of moisture barrier hiding in there anyway, but it usually doesn't extend as far up the crown as the sweatband itself.
Me, I prefer to keep the original sweatband, provided it's not too far gone, because it goes a long ways toward establishing the hat's provenance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot