Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Anyone else here (probably not you SPs!-->bad Myers-Briggs joke) interested in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator/Personality profiles? It's such a fascinating perspective into who we are and why we do what we do!

INFJ here, at your service. ;)

Myers-Briggs is one type of personality-classification test, Keirsey's another. Seems like a whole lotta bovine scatology as you're taking either, but then when you see what it all means and how it all adds up it can be interesting...

I was an ISTJ on MB, IIRC; on Keirsey I somehow did the impossible, took it twice in very close timespan (within a week) and came out with two dramatically different results: "Inspector" and "Guardian" personality types both in the same package--although this was before the extent of the "split personality" was known in my case, so maybe it makes more sense in that light.

Retro Rob

Familiar Face
I did the MB about 10 years ago while working at GM. I was the artsy feeling guy (dont remember the nomanclature) out in left field all by myself, looking back on it, no wonder I left to become an artist.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I think I was an ISTJ--I just read the description and that makes sense. Been years since I took the test though.

Socrets

Familiar Face
INTJ for the Myers-Brigg but that was over six years ago when I had to take as part of my acceptance packet to WFS. I just took the Keirsey test and I ended up a Guardian-Protector. And is it just me or do the personality types for Keirsey sound like DnD character classes?

Socrets

Familiar Face

pgoat

One Too Many
fwiw, in spite of my astrological joke, I do think the results of my test (while a decade old) are a lot closer to being 'me' than the horoscopes. But they are pretty general, and the results depend upon your test performance on a given day.

I took it when trying to decide upon a major career change, and I think it was helpful in confirming what I already thought was true. If I recall, it was free at my local public library.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Another fascinating personality typing system is the Enneagram:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/

It's not generally accepted as a standard tool by the pysch/medical establishment the way Myers-Briggs is, but I think it's pretty interesting.

I am always dubious of anything that smacks of self-help or pop psych, but this system really does seem to make a lot of sense. The first time I read through the detailed description of my type, once I determined it, I was floored with how accurate it was about deeply private things that I had always been sure were absolutely unique to just me. It explained a lot of things that I never really understood about how I deal with the world and interact with others. Check it out!

jake431

Practically Family
I myself have bounced back and forth between INFJ and ENFJ over the years. I guess it just depends on how sociable I'm feeling at any given time in my life.

-Jake

Story

I'll Lock Up
I keep getting this confused with Voight-Kampff

They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

Shall we continue?
brsm_holden_asks_questions.jpg

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
so let me get this straight as i'm guessing this is more of an american thing to take...

i looked at the websites and it said you have to pay to take a test to tell you what kind of person you are. huh? i'd understand if it was free. but honestly? people pay good money for this? why?

i'm really not trying to be patronising, i'm not that kind of person. i just geniunly don't understand...[huh]

Josephine

One Too Many
sophia la shok said:
so let me get this straight as i'm guessing this is more of an american thing to take...

i looked at the websites and it said you have to pay to take a test to tell you what kind of person you are. huh? i'd understand if it was free. but honestly? people pay good money for this?.[huh]

There are companies that will come to your company and do these tests on your employees, to find out if people are matched well with their jobs, and give very in depth analysis of the results, for one example. This happened at a place I worked at. But there are sites online that don't have as many questions that you can do it for free.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Myers-Briggs is one type of personality-classification test, Keirsey's another. Seems like a whole lotta bovine scatology as you're taking either, but then when you see what it all means and how it all adds up it can be interesting...

I was an ISTJ on MB, IIRC; on Keirsey I somehow did the impossible, took it twice in very close timespan (within a week) and came out with two dramatically different results: "Inspector" and "Guardian" personality types both in the same package--although this was before the extent of the "split personality" was known in my case, so maybe it makes more sense in that light.

I think I got the same thing when I took those tests. I think it had to do with how I was feeling on a particular day.

There are some of these tests on the Web that are free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy