Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery solved! Bogart's weird suit in "The Big Sleep"

CliffG

One of the Regulars
bruce wayne said:
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Dress to impress yourself first. Then others, if you feel like it.

I like this Bruce, I like it a lot, I would like to use this as my motto if you do not mind.
Thanks,
Cliff

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
The next time you see a guy --besides "Mr. Bogart"-- whose suit's outside breast pocket is stuffed with glasses or something, please let us know. ;)

When that happens a lot of guys will be complaining how "wrong" it is..
;)

CliffG

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Truth be told, in all cases but one, men don't really use their suits' outside breast pocket to hold anything except a pocket handkerchief. Not tickets, not pens, not glasses, and certainly not blow-your-nose handkerchiefs: those items go into hip pockets or interior pockets.

The one exception:

occasionally I will put a pocket watch in my pocket, I guess this is wrong?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Courtesy of resortes805, this suit jacket has enough breast pockets (and lapel buttonholes) to make everyone here happy.

DSC_2425.jpg

Nighthawk said:
If we borrow a rule from photography, the Rule of Thirds, we are not going to really want two objects (the flower and handkerchief) on opposite sides as they aren't symmetrical (i.e. they are not exactly the same objects). If, on the other hand, one wore two flowers or two pocket squares then one would have "balance." But the rule of thirds essentially says that isn't always what you want. Take, for instance, this photograph by Ansel Adams. It follows the rule of thirds and is not symmetrical, yet is unquestionably beautiful. Having the pocket square and flower on the same side is similar to this photograph. The large ridgeline is on the right side of the photograph, and not directly down the center. Many beginning photographers make the mistake of centering everything in their photographs, which I have just shown isn't always the best. Symmetry can work, though, such as in this photo of a corridor designed by architect Eero Saarinen. Note the overally symmetry of the photograph, except for the very small man and the door handle. But as the flower and pocket square are fairly large and noticable objects on a person, and due to the fact that they aren't exactly the same, I don't think that Oviatt's look works.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:

Courtesy of resortes805, this suit jacket has enough breast pockets (and lapel buttonholes) to make everyone here happy.

Nice, thanks!

NH

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I carry many things (cell phone, glasses, sunglasses, pens, and random pieces of paper) in breast pocket of suit jacket. On rare occasions I put a handkerchief in.

The pocket is on the left side because it is easier to reach with the right hand.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
John Barrymore, 1920:
YoungJohnB.jpg

Very likely this pic's mirrored, also check the trouser fly, but in that case why is there a button on the right side of the vest?
I like the sleeves on this one.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yes, I was reading an older post of yours on A&O and found Howard's name.
That's a really famous photo. Apparently he was some sort of secret agent and killed by the Nazi's. Snappy dresser, Mr. Howard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana