Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I do like power windows, until they break. One in my Cadillac is tricky to roll up. The driver's one in my Mercury wagon has to be helped up and down, same with the passenger, and the tailgate window. The driver one in my Caprice wagon is off-track, and the rear-driver's side one is held up by a 2x4.

The power windows in the final (and maybe earlier) generation Crown Vics and Marquis' are a known weak spot. They pulley system is made up of what is essentially a cross between rubber bands and long thin o-rings. They fail pretty regularly.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I figured out and fixed the problem on my new motorcycle a few months ago, which my delership could not do. My neighbor said, "thats the difference between a mechanic and a technician!"

That's why the only bike I've got left is a '75 CB750 mongrel in a custom hardtail frame. I can take it apart and put it back together again all by myself, and get to everything without having to remove something else. It's a relative pleasure to work on.

That surprises me. I had a 2000 and a 2003 Crown Vic P71. Neither one had problems with windows. I actually recommend those cars to everyone. They're common, cheap to maintain and run forever. Between two cars, I never needed anything outside of a battery, one lower ball joint (the day I traded it), and a set of tires. Pretty good, if you ask me.

The power windows in the final (and maybe earlier) generation Crown Vics and Marquis' are a known weak spot. They pulley system is made up of what is essentially a cross between rubber bands and long thin o-rings. They fail pretty regularly.

Bad era, mechanically, for a lot of cars.

I had a 1979 Buick Electra Limited. Beautiful car, well maintained all its life. It had two problems, it would CONSTANTLY overheat. Took multiple thermostats and water pumps before it finally would run around 190 (on a 160 thermostat) I think that finally fixed it, but I sold it a week later. He's my parents' neighbor and I see it go by now and then.

Also, a somewhat common 70's car problem, I'd get home and shut it off and it would keep running for a minute or so afterward.

Yes, yes it was. :p

Bad era, mechanically, for a lot of cars.

I had a 1979 Buick Electra Limited. Beautiful car, well maintained all its life. It had two problems, it would CONSTANTLY overheat. Took multiple thermostats and water pumps before it finally would run around 190 (on a 160 thermostat) I think that finally fixed it, but I sold it a week later. He's my parents' neighbor and I see it go by now and then.

Also, a somewhat common 70's car problem, I'd get home and shut it off and it would keep running for a minute or so afterward.

Well at least I can solve the dieseling problem. Leave it in gear and shut off the ignition. It won't keep running. :p

70s cars, well you know...:p

Nothing says '70s Car like a Pacer. :p

hrdp_0711_01_z+1976_amc_pacer_x+front_view.jpg

Your mother clearly has taste in automobiles!

My Fleetwood has a vinyl top, however, I wish they would have went about it differently. Something similar to the carriage tops on the Sedan Devilles would have been nice.

I know to much to think they are pretty. :p I understand that you could have had them deleted from your car build if you wanted to. Geez, I wish my mother had done it that way.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Garcia Brothers Pizza in a Pan in Champaign Illinois used Pacers as their delivery cars. Imagine that thing in Red, with a plastic tomato top (the greens) on the roof. Pizza was pretty good back then though.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot