Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myths of the Golden Era -- Exploded!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There are also plenty of Americans who deny the reality of the brutality of Japanese militarism. One myth that's current among the hand-wringing set is that the United States *provoked* Japan into attacking Pearl Harbor by imposing an oil embargo -- and that after diplomatic efforts to remove that embargo failed, an attack was the only recourse left. This may rank as the most ridiculous myth of World War II -- when you consider that although the embargo was imposed in 1941 as a result of the Japanese occupation of French Indochina, it was first proposed in the fall of 1937 as a direct reaction to the Rape of Nanking. Japanese brutality directly led to that embargo, as well as all of the other consequences that would follow. The militarists sowed the wind -- and reaped the whirlwind.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
If anyone wants to know about the brutality of Japanese militarism, just ask someone that was a Prisoner of War under the Japanese. I read a book a few months ago titled “Unbroken”, which deals directly with the treatment of POWs by the Japanese. An extraordinary book by the way, I highly recommend it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My uncle (now in his seventies) lived through the Japanese invasion of British Malaya and the Fall of Singapore in 1942. He was under no illusions regarding the brutality of the Japanese. He used to tell me, he would cycle to school (he was seven when the Japanese invaded) and pass the local police-station, where the Japanese used to put decapitated heads on spikes and stick them in the ground to act as a warning. He told me about the chronic food-shortages, water shortages, medicine shortages, breakdowns in communications, and all the other horrible things that happened to the civilian populations when the Japanese came to town. There was so little food, they never knew where their next meal would come from, what it was, or how much of it they'd have, or if they'd get any food the next day.

Singapore was bombed so heavily during the invasion that damn near all the civilian infrastructure was obliterated. All the electrical power failed, and my uncle said they had to light the family home with oil-lamps after sundown, because electrical lighting was so unreliable as to be completely useless.

Last edited:

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
If you liked "Unbroken", you might also like "No Ordinary Joes". I've got a couple of other POW memoirs, but they're mostly out of print. "From POW to Blue Angel: the story of Commander Dusty Rhodes" is another one I can recommend if you can find a copy of it.

I have a theory about the kind of people that think that our oil-embargo was what started the war with Japan. If it was our mistake that started the whole nightmare, then actions on our part could have stopped it. That somehow, some way, we are always capable of controlling a situation. If we have control, then we can avert nightmares. That doesn't justify such willful ignorance of atrocities that I've seen (blessedly few), but it's almost touchingly naive. Believing that horror can always be averted by well-intentioned people. It doesn't work when dealing with monsters.

Kind of like the people that think Roosevelt let the Japanese destroy much of the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor, just to get us into the war. Nope, those near-sighted, rice eating, paper airplane flying foreigners couldn't just waltz in and blow our unprepared butts out of the water. It had to be an inside job. It couldn't have anything to do with us screwing up.

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
Here's a new take (at least to me) on the Shanghai "abandoned baby" photo. I have seen that photo a hundred times and did not really question it's authenticity. However, I just bought a book with a photo of the same baby with his father (so says the caption) crouching a foot or so behind the baby. An older boy (6-8 years old) is standing right next to the "father".
Whether it really is his father and older brother can't be told, but no doubt it is an adult Chinese male and a boy about 6-8 years old right next to the baby in question. He may or may not be abandoned after all. My theory/speculation is that the cameraman may have waved the man and older boy away from the scene to get a more dramatic image (and it worked).

As was said, that photo in its original form was significant in stirring up anti-Japanese sentiment in he 1930's. I wonder if it would have been as powerful if the father and brother had been included in the published image. (bad vs. worse)

Joel

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That second photo was published in the same issue of Life which showed the original photo, so it's never been "secret." The Japanese Government claimed that it was evidence the photo was posed, but the photographer went to his grave insisting the photo with the father was taken *after* the original, and the Metrotone News film footage bears that out. The father had rushed to the scene looking for his wife and baby after the bombing.

I think the important question to ask is whose interests, in 1937, would be served by "proving" the photo to be staged. Who had reason to want that belief spread?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I have a theory about the kind of people that think that our oil-embargo was what started the war with Japan. If it was our mistake that started the whole nightmare, then actions on our part could have stopped it. That somehow, some way, we are always capable of controlling a situation. If we have control, then we can avert nightmares. That doesn't justify such willful ignorance of atrocities that I've seen (blessedly few), but it's almost touchingly naive. Believing that horror can always be averted by well-intentioned people. It doesn't work when dealing with monsters. ...

WOW Marsha, that's an interesting take on the "reasoning:" behind their "reasoning" or possibly "lack of reasoning". I would have been in the "Why should we sell them steel to shoot at the Chinese?" group personally.

I've been seeing that picture for YEARS and I never thought of the baby as abandoned, just recently bombed, tired, and scared out of it's wits. The kid looks about 1 year old, like it knows Mom and Dad are alive or dead, jut knows they're not HERE. It NEVER occurred to me that it would be "better" w.r.t. the news, if the kid was abandoned. Guess that's why I didn't go into Journalism. [huh]

Great insight

Last edited:
Kind of like the people that think Roosevelt let the Japanese destroy much of the Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor, just to get us into the war. Nope, those near-sighted, rice eating, paper airplane flying foreigners couldn't just waltz in and blow our unprepared butts out of the water. It had to be an inside job. It couldn't have anything to do with us screwing up.

Either that or it was the Germans. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Though on a serious note there were quite a few who actually believed that the Japanese were totally incapable of pulling off such a surprise attack on their own that they had to have put their German allies up to it. [huh]:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
I didn't mean to imply that the newer (to me) version I saw was "secret". I have just never seen the "more complete" version with the father and brother in it before. If the photo taken with the father and brother was taken *after* the "by himself" photo of the baby, it says to me that the baby was not really abandoned to the extent that the more famous version that was taken and printed implies. "The father had rushed to the scene looking for his wife and baby after the bombing.

I have no intention in justifying Japanese actions at that time. I am only curious about the photographic or cinematographic sequence of events that led to the final product.
As far as "faking" goes, there is the outright faking of a photo by retouching of negatives, etc. and the more subtle "faking" ("staging") by telling people to move around in and out of the frame or physically adding or subtracting elements in the image. The first was technically impossible to do at that time without detection. The latter was possible and was done on a regular basis. This led to the controversy concerning Joe Rosenthal's famous Iwo Jima flag-raising photo. His first photo (the famous one) wasn't staged, but the second one, where he told all the Marines to gather under the flag, was staged.
There was a mixup (and controversy) in describing those two photos that lasted decades.

Back to the issue at hand, based on what has been said, was there a still photographer standing right next to the movie cameraman taking images at the same time? I had always assumed that the still images were printed from individual frames of a movie. If not, then I have learned even more about this photo.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the footage, and photos, were shot by Hai-Sheng Wong, the Shanghai representative for Hearst Metrotone News. He used two cameras simultaneously -- a spring-motor powered 35mm Eymo portable newsreel camera on a tripod for the moving images, and a 35mm Leica for the stills.

eyemo-add-page.jpg

Because of the different cameras there exist slightly different angles for the same scenes, a fact which has led to further speculation of fakery by those who don't understand how they were shot.

Wong himself never implied the baby was "abandoned," although "Abandoned Shanghai Baby" has become a default description of the picture. He assumed that the female corpse just out of camera range was the baby's mother, and that she had been hit by debris and dropped the baby where he was found. He was, by his own account, approaching the child to help it when the father appeared on the scene to rescue the baby.

Wong was put on a death list by the Japanese Government for his role in capturing the reality of the Shanghai bombing, and was forced to flee to Hong Kong, which became his base of operations for the rest of the war. He died in 1981.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

I remember hearing rumors back in high school from some of the other students that went to japan as exchange students that the Japanese history books make it look like we were the aggressors & that they just did what was necessary as a nation to survive.

Of course I have no proof of this other than hearsay.

I remember hearing rumors back in high school from some of the other students that went to japan as exchange students that the Japanese history books make it look like we were the aggressors & that they just did what was necessary as a nation to survive.

Of course I have no proof of this other than hearsay.

Here is the history and proof that it is ongoing:
http://spice.stanford.edu/docs/134

Bruce Wayne

Bingo

In 1982 the screening process in Japan became a diplomatic issue when the media of Japan and neighboring countries gave extensive coverage to changes required by the Ministry of Education. The Ministry had ordered Ienaga to remove critical language in his history textbook, insisting that he write of the Japanese army's "advance into" China instead of its "aggression in" China, of "uprising among the Korean people" instead of the "March First Independence Movement." Pressure applied by China and Korea succeeded in getting the Ministry to back down and resulted in the Ministry's adding a new authorization criterion: that textbooks must show understanding and international harmony in their treatment of modern and contemporary historical events involving neighboring Asian countries.(6)

Ienaga's lawsuits lasted thirty years. Although in 1997—in response to Ienaga's third lawsuit instituted in 1986—the Supreme Court of Japan unanimously upheld the Ministry's right to continue screening textbooks, Ienaga and his fellow critics enjoyed a partial victory. The court requested "that the Government refrain from intervening in educational content as much as possible."(7)

By the time of the final ruling, however, Ienaga and the tens of thousands of Japanese who joined him in his battle against the authorization process had been victorious in fact if not in law. The most widely used Japanese textbooks in the mid- and late-1990s contained references to the Nanjing Massacre, anti-Japanese resistance movements in Korea, forced suicide in Okinawa, comfort women, and Unit 731 (responsible for conducting medical experiments on prisoners of war)—all issues raised in Ienaga's suits.

The Current Situation
A conservative (many would argue ultra-conservative) movement toward reform in the Japanese history curriculum was initiated in the early 1990s by Fujioka Nobukatsu and his Liberal View of History Study Group. Fujioka, a professor of education at Tokyo University, set out to "correct history" by emphasizing a "positive view" of Japan's past and by removing from textbooks any reference to matters associated with what he calls "dark history," issues such as the comfort women, that might make Japanese schoolchildren uncomfortable when they read about the Pacific War.

By early 2000 Fujioka and his group had joined with others to form the Japanese Society for History Textbook Reform, now headed by Nishio Kanji. It is the Society's textbook, The New History Textbook (one of eight junior high school history textbooks authorized by the Ministry of Education in April 2001), that has caused such debate in Japan over the past year. Nishio summarized the views of the Society in an article in the August 2001 Japan Echo, a bimonthly journal of opinion on a wide range of topics of current interest within Japan. The article maintained that rather than asserting the Society members' personal views of history the textbook aims to restore common sense to the teaching of the subject. Nishio insisted that "history stop being treated like a court in which the figures and actions of the past are called to judgment."(8)

Widespread protests against the textbook erupted much earlier in Japan, China, and North and South Korea. By December 2000, reacting to a draft textbook circulated by the Society and shown on national television, a long list of Japanese historians and history educators expressed misgivings about the content of The New History Textbook and its rendering of Japan's past. Their complaints centered around the text's presentation of Japan's foundation myths as historical fact and its characterization of wars launched by modern Japan as wars to liberate Asia.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I remember talking to a couple of old Doctors back in the 70s, and they told me that when there was some one in the 1920s and 30s dying of lung cancer, they would get calles to come in from all the surrounding state because it might be the only time in their careers that they would see this rare phenomenon. WWI Was when cigarets became more wide spread, and WWII really put them in most houses. The 50s through the early 80s were the hay day for smoking, even yours truly took up the nasty habit, quite in the late 70s. On a side note, the American Revolution and our Founding Fathers was fuelled by coffee, hence The Age Of Enlightenment. Before then, most city dwellers went around with at least a buzz thanks to beer, even children. The water was so bad, there wasn't much choice! It was said, the Pilgrims landed some where neer Plymouth rock because they ran out of beer!

We're now in the age of middle aged people who smoked too much pot. History will shake its head in sorrow.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Behind the Philanthropy

The Annenbergs

Elverson died of a heart attack in 1929 in the fabulously appointed living quarters he'd created on the building's 12th and 13th floors.

Not long after Elverson came Moses L. Annenberg, who bought the paper for $15 million in 1936. He made his money supplying bookies with racing information and was often linked to racketeers in Chicago - including Al Capone - according to former Philadelphia magazine writer Gaeton Fonzi's book Annenberg: A Biography of Power.

Known as a man's man, Annenberg kept a mistress in a nearby hotel and ate lunch in The Inquirer cafeteria with inky pressmen, whose clothes stained the chairs.

In 1940, Annenberg pleaded guilty to tax evasion and was sentenced to three years in Lewisburg federal prison. By paying a then-unheard-of $9.5 million settlement to the government, he was able to prevent his son, Walter H., from being indicted for similar crimes.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...t_the_Tower_s_stories_live_on.html?page=2&c=y

Note that the rest of the article is great reading on the workings of a newspaper, 1924 to 1940

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ah yes, Moe Annenberg. A real piece of work -- he got his start in the newspaper biz as a strong-arm circulation goon for Hearst: his job was go around and bust up newsstands to discourage them from selling non-Hearst papers. He used the money he made from that to buy the Daily Racing Form, and the rest was history.

Walter, of course, became a millionaire many times over with TV Guide, and ended up as the ambassador to the Court of St. James. There's a moral in there somewhere, but I couldn't say what it is.

Ah yes, Moe Annenberg. A real piece of work -- he got his start in the newspaper biz as a strong-arm circulation goon for Hearst: his job was go around and bust up newsstands to discourage them from selling non-Hearst papers. He used the money he made from that to buy the Daily Racing Form, and the rest was history.

Walter, of course, became a millionaire many times over with TV Guide, and ended up as the ambassador to the Court of St. James. There's a moral in there somewhere, but I couldn't say what it is.

Crime pays? :p

Heater

Familiar Face
Well...I served in the US Army 1970-72. I was spit on..berated..called 'Baby Killer'...yelled at...and more..as were many of my brothers who were serving or had recently served. All from protestors and hippies around my same age and younger. Older folks would shake my hand..congratulate me...buy me a beer....move me up in line...and thank me for my service and risking my life. This IS first hand 'my say'...and was definately 'the norm'.
HD

You are a hero and thank you for your service!! I served 27 years in the Army and was inspired by the courage and sacrafice of the Viet Nam era soldiers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925