Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nametag on repro A-2 jackets

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Bought an Aerofrom a forum member with his name on it. Looks great.
Ordered my own but having a hard time finding someone able or willing to sew mine on.
Only person who would just doesn't seem to "get around" to doing work anymore.
I'm presently "incognito" in the jacket now
Perhaps I'm a secret agent!!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I see nothing immoral with nametags (especially a simple USAAF strip). Patches can be a bit conflicting. I'd avoid any kind of rank though. That's kind of hot water territory.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
As I said before, period name tags can be a neat way to stop someone trying to steal your jacket, lord knows, it happens enough. As for squadron or group patches, I don't have a problem with them on repro jackets; it's a great way to remember The Greatest Generation by serving as an icebreaker most of the time, in my experience. Sometimes people ask me about the patches, and we get into a conversation. Nice.
Sometimes I see a photo of a vintage flight jacket with patches or artwork, and I think 'that looks so cool! It's got character!'. But even if such a jacket was for sale, it would be out of my price range, and even if I bought it, I would be scared to wear it in case I damaged it- it should be preserved as a piece of history.
In that case, I dont see any reason why it would be wrong to get a high end repro made. After all, I am clearly not passing myself of as an 80+ year old WWII veteran.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
As I said before, period name tags can be a neat way to stop someone trying to steal your jacket, lord knows, it happens enough. As for squadron or group patches, I don't have a problem with them on repro jackets; it's a great way to remember The Greatest Generation by serving as an icebreaker most of the time, in my experience. Sometimes people ask me about the patches, and we get into a conversation. Nice.
Sometimes I see a photo of a vintage flight jacket with patches or artwork, and I think 'that looks so cool! It's got character!'. But even if such a jacket was for sale, it would be out of my price range, and even if I bought it, I would be scared to wear it in case I damaged it- it should be preserved as a piece of history.
In that case, I dont see any reason why it would be wrong to get a high end repro made. After all, I am clearly not passing myself of as an 80+ year old WWII veteran.
Sometimes I wear a repro Brooklyn Dodgers baseball cap and I get some older guys who come up to me to say they were at Ebbetts Field and saw them play before they moved the franchise to LA. It is interesting to hear the stories and see complete strangers reminiscing about the Brooklyn Dodgers. It's similar to me wearing my U.S. Navy ballcap; Navy vets will always come up to me and ask "what ship?" or "when were you in?" and we'll compare experiences.

Big J mentioned an A-2 jacket patch being an "icebreaker" to starting up a conversation; well said! I couldn't agree more!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not really fussed either way. I wouldn't want one on mine but I don't think it ruins the look or anything like that.

Each to their own and all that.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm not really fussed either way. I wouldn't want one on mine but I don't think it ruins the look or anything like that.

Each to their own and all that.

And I think that's cool too.
I'm sure most lounge members are here because in one way or another, we're not satisfied with the cookie cutter style offered in the regular stores.
Freedom to choose, and all that :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
And I think that's cool too.
I'm sure most lounge members are here because in one way or another, we're not satisfied with the cookie cutter style offered in the regular stores.
Freedom to choose, and all that :)

You've hit the nail on the head Big J, well said!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As for stitching through.... thanks for the information. I didn't know that... I just figured anyone who'd spend GoodWear or Eastman money of a jacket would have the seamstress open up the lining first. I stand corrected.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn