Naming a plane

Discussion in 'WWII' started by JumpBoot, Feb 2, 2019.

1. JumpBoot

JumpBoot One of the Regulars

Hello all,

I was showing my daughter a picture of much great uncle next to the Liberator he flew in the pacific and, like kids often do, she asked me “who named the plane?”. My child is a pitbul on the pant leg of curiosity.

I have no idea and he’s long since passed on. So can anyone square me away to the general rule of thumb for bombers? Did the pilot name it himself, did the crew vote, something else?

JumpBoot

2. Siggmund

Siggmund One of the Regulars

What I have read is that USAAF bombers were named by either the pilot or by the crew, if the pilot so desired. Often, planes were referred to by the end of their i.d. number, e.g. "739", if not by name.

JumpBoot likes this.
  3. JumpBoot

JumpBoot One of the Regulars

I didn’t know that, about being referred to by number. I suppose it makes sense though. I would assume if a crew was slated to fly and their plane was down for repairs, they would just use whichever was available.

4. Siggmund

Siggmund One of the Regulars

You should read, Combat Crew by John Comer. It has tons of interesting details about the American air war from a crewman's perspective. My favorite war memoir.

JumpBoot likes this.
  5. tsores

tsores Familiar Face

Thanks for the tip on the book. Sounds like a good read.

JumpBoot and Siggmund like this.
  6. 1930artdeco

1930artdeco Practically Family

I talked to a radioman who flew in the pacific and his crew flew over in a brand new B-24 outfitted with radar. They got to their base and the plane was promptly taken from them and they got a beater. The other plane made the news reels taking a direct hit between #2 and the wing root. He even had bomb footage of it going down. I think his pilot named their plane eventually.

Mike

7. tsores

tsores Familiar Face

I did and I also recommend it. It is a fast read the is very well written. Matter-of-fact description of stressful, deadly warfare. Sorry if this is a little off topic.