Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natal Leather

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
I appreciate the insight. Since the Natal/Natel connection seems to be a given, this may be a case of my subconscious wanting to find a way to connect all these brands together. It's just surprising to me that there isn't some variation between them: different hardware, different lining, alternate pocket layout, etc.

I think this still could very well be a possibility, at least with some of these labels. The more I look at that Doug's Leather & Bones jacket, it is possible that they may have been a retailer selling a Walter Dyer jacket with their label on it instead. Today this would be called a collaboration: Walter Dyer X Doug's Leather & Bones. Back then is was common practice to use the vendor's label rather than manufacturer's label on the jacket. Those old Shields/Score jackets come to mind. I've seen loads of Shields jackets with the retailers label on it instead.

This one just screams Walter Dyer to me:

View attachment 546971
Great color, but the collar and snap placement look off to me for a Dyer, but someone in the family tried to make a go of it after Walter had died, perhaps changes were made.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
A few months ago, I took notice of a leather jacket listed on ebay with the brand name "US Made Co." out of Middleton, MA.

This example of their product came out on Ebay today, and I note how similar the pattern is to that of the Natal/Natel/Walter Dyer/Kerr cafe racer pattern that we're familiar with, and how similar the leather looks as well. Very thick leather, nylon diamond quilted lining, a simple design, but a tank of a jacket.

And yet another Massachussets jacket maker. What was going on in Mass. a few decades ago? There must have been a common connection between all these makers.

View attachment 490799 View attachment 490800 View attachment 490801 View attachment 490802 View attachment 490803
A few weeks ago, I found a US Made Middleton Mass jacket in my size, 44. A cross-zip with side laces, epaulets, zip-out lining, inside pocket, long kidney panel with action back. No belt, no coin pocket, no breast pocket.

It was sold on ebay by the Salvation Army, and had an opening bid of $9.99, and ended up going for $81, a rather good price. I was the high bidder, and it came home for under $100 with shipping and taxes.

It arrived, and I am rather impressed. This leather feels like Vanson comp weight leather, the good old comp weight from before the old tannery burned down, and maybe even heavier, and the jacket hasn't been worn very much. I think it spent most of its life in a closet. It's 8 lbs and hefty -- feels a lot like my old, long-lost TRD jacket did, though it differs in many details.

Quite a find, got a bargain.

Attachments

• s-l1600[2].jpg
    s-l1600[2].jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 64
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 61
  • s-l1600[2].jpg
    s-l1600[2].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 64

Viking752

Practically Family
A few weeks ago, I found a US Made Middleton Mass jacket in my size, 44. A cross-zip with side laces, epaulets, zip-out lining, inside pocket, long kidney panel with action back. No belt, no coin pocket, no breast pocket.

It was sold on ebay by the Salvation Army, and had an opening bid of $9.99, and ended up going for $81, a rather good price. I was the high bidder, and it came home for under $100 with shipping and taxes.

It arrived, and I am rather impressed. This leather feels like Vanson comp weight leather, the good old comp weight from before the old tannery burned down, and maybe even heavier, and the jacket hasn't been worn very much. I think it spent most of its life in a closet. It's 8 lbs and hefty -- feels a lot like my old, long-lost TRD jacket did, though it differs in many details.

Quite a find, got a bargain.
Another well Built jacket from the once epicenter of quality, heavy leather makers in Mass. Nice find.

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
A few differences between the two. Obviously the Kerr is a 3 pocket, with zip-out liner, while the Natal has just the handwarmer pockets, and no zip-out.
The front zipper is a bit longer on the Natal, and the zip overlap a bit widerer on the Kerr.
The Kerr is the heavier of the two by a bit.
The inner sleeve of the Kerr is a two pieces, while the Natal one.
In the detail shot you can see at the seam how the armpit patch leather is much heavier on the Natal.
Now down to the leather. The Kerr, while a naked piece of leather feels like it has something on it. I'm not sure the past owner didn't treat it with some type of waterproofing or something. It's still a ridiculously thick heavy piece of leather, and very soft, yet very pebbly, not an attractive grain.
The Natal is not quite as buttery soft to the touch as my other two Natals cross-zips have been, more similar to the Vanson/Thurston Bros Comet I have, but thicker. A beautiful pieces of leather, smooth grain, but stiffer, possibly not as broken in. It's also a hair thinner than the Kerr I think.
Edit: It's been a couple of days now and it just becoming more apparent to me how much nicer the leather is on the Natal than the Kerr. Which is not the case with my Kerr cross-zip compared to the two Natal cross-zips I've owned. So I think it needs to be said to be cautious if you're going to be purchasing online. There's some great ones out there, but be careful.
20231112_174024.jpg
20231112_174157.jpg
20231112_174241.jpg
20231112_174104.jpg
20231112_174055.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Guitarist

Familiar Face
Might as well upload some pictures of the Dyer Cafe I picked up a while back as well.
Unlike the other two it has side laces. Walter was known to change details on his coats quite often, and do a lot of one off creations. I've seen some weird color combinations, with black bodies and brown sleeves, or fringes added to his more common styles, or sometimes switching to brass or black hardware. So I'm not sure how many he did w/ the laces, or for how long.
The leather on this coat is just as thick, heavy and buttery soft as my Natal cross-zips, but nothing like my earlier WD cross-zip, which was very close to the old Vanson Comp leather of my older Manx.
Strangely the blochy coloring doesn't seem as obvious in person as it does in these photos, maybe it's the lighting.
This jacket is a favorite.
Might also mention that this jacket is noticeably heavier than the Natal and Kerr above.
20231112_174442.jpg
20231112_174511.jpg

Last edited:

Bluechel

Practically Family
I posted this in the incoming thread. I think it’s Natal. I’ll update when t arrives next week. Just as soon as I swear I’m done with leather this thing pops up and I can’t say no.
View attachment 570773 View attachment 570774
I had a beast like this, I loved it but it was too small for me and it was actually a Walter Dyer! Exact same color quilted lining too....amazing. I'm searching for a pic and I'll get back shortly.

Viking752

Practically Family
This was a catch and release Natel jacket I had awhile back. Thick leather and really was a good one but the sleeves had the same thick quilted lining which made it unwearable in warm climate. And overall too small for me.
IMG_0919.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails