Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Necesseties of Hat Maintenance

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
A good horsehair brush, and rubber hat sponge (hat eraser) which works wonders for removing dirt and stains, some GardMore or Scothgard, and a bottle of light spray stiffener. I think that's all you would need. I also break the rules of proper direction in brushing felt when cleaning it, and brush in both directions. When finished with the job and steaming, then I brush in just one direction for the finish. My 2 cents. The Hat sponge has been the best thing in the world for me cleaning old hats, and has allowed my to stay away from chemicals. However, it does require some time and elbow grease.

Duane

analogist

One of the Regulars
Hat Care Kit

I was at a haberdasher yesterday who had an item called Hat Care. It was a clear plastic pouch which contained a small horsehair brush, a spray bottle of water and stain repellant for felt hats and a spray bottle of Professsional Strength felt hat cleaner. This store did not specialize in hats but had some really fine shirts ties and cufflinks. He had no experience with this product and neither do I. As a newbie to the lounge and a strong proponent of discretioin being the better part of valor, the term Professional Strength intimidates me. I went to the store to buy a shirt and tie as a gift and this product was given to me I suppose because I wore a hat.

I know nothing about this item but you can check it out at their website, www.hatcare.com.

Let me know what you think, and I wish someone would PM me as to how to post pictures on this forum.

analogist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart